• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcohol and Religion

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Todd said:
...Anyway, my question is, is drinking alcohol against your belief/faith, and if so, why?...
Since I drank a beer at my minister's house a couple of times, I'm guessing 'No'.:p Considering Jesus not only turned water into wine, but the guests considered it the 'good stuff', I don't see alcohol itself as the problem. John 2:1-10

The problem begins when people do not stop drinking before they get drunk and begin to act inappropriately. Many of us know people who have gotten in trouble with other people and the law because they could not control themselves. Many people get in fights, others drive drunk, and some even lose their jobs because they miss work or show up at work drunk.:(

I think Benjamin Franklin's words on the subject are pretty good. I believe he said 'Eat not to dullness. Drink not to drunkeness. Everything in moderation.', or words to that effect. It's not always easy or fun to stop drinking when your friends are urging you to have one more round, but sometimes we have to be adults and know when to say when. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My religion does not prohibit alcohol. I strongly believe in drinking in moderation though. I stop drinking when I start to get a buzz, just a slight funny feeling in my head, but I'm able to think, walk, and talk straight. Then I start drinking lots of water.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
glasgowchick said:
Although I believe that God is against one getting drunk and warns us to keep sober, I am sure there is nothing wrong with a little night cap...
Hehehe are you scottish at all :eek: . I have to admit I like a night cap too. Is a double shot of Tequila within the scope of 'moderation'?

dan

CaptainXeroid said:
Since I drank a beer at my minister's house a couple of times, I'm guessing 'No'.:p Considering Jesus not only turned water into wine, but the guests considered it the 'good stuff', I don't see alcohol itself as the problem. John 2:1-10

The problem begins when people do not stop drinking before they get drunk and begin to act inappropriately. Many of us know people who have gotten in trouble with other people and the law because they could not control themselves. Many people get in fights, others drive drunk, and some even lose their jobs because they miss work or show up at work drunk.:(

I think Benjamin Franklin's words on the subject are pretty good. I believe he said 'Eat not to dullness. Drink not to drunkeness. Everything in moderation.', or words to that effect. It's not always easy or fun to stop drinking when your friends are urging you to have one more round, but sometimes we have to be adults and know when to say when. :)
That is a prevalent thought, but with God it is yay or nay. There is no gray area. People point out the fact that Jesus drank wine. There is also much wine mentioned in the Old Testament. An interesting fact is that there are about 13 Hebrew words we translate as "wine," and only about half of them denote an alcoholic beverage. They made "wine" by many different techniques back then. Certain techniques rendered it alcoholic, and certain did not. Throughout the O.T. a mention of acceptable consumption of wine is almost always in reference to a non-alcoholic "wine" such as grape juice, grape juice mingled with other drinks, the froth from grape juice scraped off and mixed with other drinks (such as myrrh), and so on. The New Testament is not clear on what type of "wine" is consumed; it is translated from Aramaic to Greek and the differences are lost. Officers within the church heirarchy are not to consume wine (I Tim. 3:3).

Most of the time when someone drank wine it was to kill bacteria that was so rampant back then (I Tim. 5:23), but that's a problem we don't have very often anymore. So what would the purpose of drinking alcohol be in the Gospel sense? SOme say a glass of red wine a day is good for the circulatory system. Anti-oxidants are present in red wine, so it's good for you.

As true as that may be, a handful of grapes has the exact same effect. These anti-oxidants are found in what are called tannins, which are found in the skin of the grapes. Red wine is red because it is allowed to ferment with the skins of the grapes, coloring the wine. The tannins seep in and ta-da. Some say the fermenting process increases the anti-oxidants, but the difference is negligible.

Alcohol has killed more people than all the wars in recorded history combined. It is not necessary to drink it for our health, and it has no other productive use. There is no righteous reason to drink it at all.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
You don't need to be a Christian to see that getting drunk is not the smartest thing to do. Alcohol in it of itself is not evil.

~Victor

ayani

i've always felt that alcohol and drugs are "bad" when not being used to treat pain or illness. they impair your thinking, give you less control over yourself, and can make you ill.

i don't believe that is how we are supposed to feel- blurry, confused, and sick.