• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alaska becomes Texas North

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
An Alaska school board removed five famous -- but allegedly "controversial" -- books from district classrooms, inadvertently spurring renewed local interest in the excluded works.

Alaska school board pulls 'Great Gatsby' from curriculum for 'controversial' content

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou, "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller, "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison were all taken off an approved list of works that teachers in the Mat-Su Borough School District may use for instruction.

The school board voted 5-2 on Wednesday to yank those works out of teachers' hands starting this fall. The removed books contained content that could potentially harm students, school board vice president Jim Hart told NBC News on Tuesday.

"Even though students are still free to read these books on their own, Hart said it'd be unfair to ask teachers to have to navigate their pupils through the complicated subject matter."

One has to hope that with these books off the curriculum, students'll have more time to read "Art of the Deal" by some unknown ghost writer....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In The People's Republic Of Ann Arbor, we are extremely progressive.
But in high school, we were assigned to read Catch-22, & there was
to be no discussion of it. Best book I ever read for school.
The movie was a real disappointment. I wonder how the new series is.
Oh...we also didn't get to read any Mark Twain...too racist & atheistic.
"Letters From Earth" would've been a good one.

Btw, Trump barely had over 50% of the vote in Alaska.
It hardly seems a bastion of support for him.

epronovost

I don't get what's so bad about the Great Gatsby. It's basically a well written soap opera novel. It's scenario is not unlike that of cheezy soap opera with the only difference it ends more tragically. Maybe something got lost in translation when I read it, but I didn't thought it was such a heavy or controversial reading.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
An Alaska school board removed five famous -- but allegedly "controversial" -- books from district classrooms, inadvertently spurring renewed local interest in the excluded works.

Alaska school board pulls 'Great Gatsby' from curriculum for 'controversial' content

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou, "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller, "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison were all taken off an approved list of works that teachers in the Mat-Su Borough School District may use for instruction.

The school board voted 5-2 on Wednesday to yank those works out of teachers' hands starting this fall. The removed books contained content that could potentially harm students, school board vice president Jim Hart told NBC News on Tuesday.

"Even though students are still free to read these books on their own, Hart said it'd be unfair to ask teachers to have to navigate their pupils through the complicated subject matter."

One has to hope that with these books off the curriculum, students'll have more time to read "Art of the Deal" by some unknown ghost writer....
Please tell me it ain't so Joe....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't get what's so bad about the Great Gatsby. It's basically a well written soap opera novel. It's scenario is not unlike that of cheezy soap opera with the only difference it ends more tragically. Maybe something got lost in translation when I read it, but I didn't thought it was such a heavy or controversial reading.
Catch-22 I can understand banning though....it could leave the kids
thinking that wars are pointless things run by fools to the detriment
of all involved. Same thing for Slaughterhouse 5.
I can see politicians hating such subversion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

There ought to be a school reading of La Cage Aux Follies.

It's only $10 for a paperback thru Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Cage-Aux-Folles-Jean-Poiret/dp/0573703310