• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

alabaster box

song

I'am trying to get an answer to a basic bible quesitons i posted to
http://www.viacafe.com/forum/ but no results i will try here. :roll: ... I am looking for info on the woman who anointed Jesus’ feet with the oils from her alabaster box… Any one have any info??

There are three similar accounts in the gospels: 1) Mark 14:3-9; Matt 26:6-13; 2) Luke 7:36-50, and 3) John 12:1-8.

I think the alabaster box was a perfume bottle with a long neck designed to be snapped off.

Her name is not mentioned in the synoptic gospels. She was a repentent sinner, whom Jesus forgave saying (in Luke) "..for she has loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

The woman in John's gospel is called Mary, the sister of martha and Lazarus (whom jesus brought back from the dead). There is no mention of a alabaster box though.

Ephraim of Syria (4th c. A.D) has this to say.

song

Do we know which Mary it was?? Bethany?? or Magdalene?? Can we tell via the bible or history?? Is it evident what her sin was via the bible or history?? any idea/opinions why she did this via bible, history or personal opinion

song said:
Do we know which Mary it was?? Bethany?? or Magdalene?? Can we tell via the bible or history?? Is it evident what her sin was via the bible or history?? any idea/opinions why she did this via bible, history or personal opinion

In John's gospel it was Mary of Bethany. She did this after Jesus had raised her brother back to life. Sin is not mentioned.

The woman (or women) from the other gospels isn't named. Her sin(s) is not specifically stated, all we know is that she was very very greatful and loved Jesus.

song

I'am trying to get an answer to a basic bible quesitons i posted to
http://www.viacafe.com/forum/ but no results i will try here. :roll: ... I am looking for info on the woman who anointed Jesus’ feet with the oils from her alabaster box… Any one have any info??

There are three similar accounts in the gospels: 1) Mark 14:3-9; Matt 26:6-13; 2) Luke 7:36-50, and 3) John 12:1-8.

I think the alabaster box was a perfume bottle with a long neck designed to be snapped off.

Her name is not mentioned in the synoptic gospels. She was a repentent sinner, whom Jesus forgave saying (in Luke) "..for she has loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

The woman in John's gospel is called Mary, the sister of martha and Lazarus (whom jesus brought back from the dead). There is no mention of a alabaster box though.

Ephraim of Syria (4th c. A.D) has this to say.

song

song said:

In John's gospel it was Mary of Bethany. She did this after Jesus had raised her brother back to life. Sin is not mentioned.

The woman (or women) from the other gospels isn't named. Her sin(s) is not specifically stated, all we know is that she was very very greatful and loved Jesus.