• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"AI acceleration chips" - some computer systems begin adopting NPUs in addition to a CPU and GPU

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It came up in a thread of mine recently what I meant when I said that a computer system with an NPU could "better handle machine learning applications" (or some such).

Some computer systems, especially the very newest laptops, have begun including a Neural Processing Unit chip, a computer chip designed to handle "small repetitive tasks in large quantities", to take some of the load off the CPU and GPU of a computer system when handling the following:

Very deep and technical Machine Learning applications
Possible future and more general AI applications (think the possible implementation of the NPU in something like a photo-editing program which has AI filters)
Object Detection when capturing live camera footage

Or to just have a more advanced form of Power-saving for the system than not having an NPU could have.

However, I will say that for the average consumer, uses other than using the NPU to handle 'advanced power-saving' are kind of limited right now, so you will likely see the NPU incorporated into laptops (and possibly even some midrange and high-end smartphones) before you will many desktops.

Anyway, I just found this interesting.