• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agnostics -- let's reframe the question.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I find that to be a really blinkered view.

I am a product of this universe, adapted to perceive what is beneficial or harmful to my continuance. There are no barriers to that.

In fact, I think it might well be to our detriment to be able to perceive that which has no relevance to our well-being, considering that such perceptions may well come at some expense.

That is a belief without evidence, proof, truth or whatever. There is a reason we have methodological naturalism.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Imam of time is also the source of all good deeds and the satanic forces the source of evil. The two trees go at in the unseen realm everywhere and everyday.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Have you read some of my previous posts on human nature? You may be dangerously close to seeing what I see...that we really are not the pinnacle of creation, not the product of an omniscient Creator -- but rather, just another evolved species with the usual blindness to some of the things that drive us, but that are essential to our very being.

Is not that purely a faith statement?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Depends. If based on methodological naturalism it is close enough to some aspects of human psychology, that it is not totally off the mark,

I think its based on philosophical naturalism, not methodological. Nevertheless, it's a faith statement. Just like religions are explained in the OP.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Dont say "maybe". Say something like "I agree with you completely" or "I disagree with you because I dont like you". What a false dichotomy that is....

Its not interesting otherwise. :)

Just kidding.

Okay, it is sometimes hard to tell if a naturalist understands the difference between methodological and philosophical.

Hanne

Follower of Jesus Christ
This is why I've stopped calling myself an agnostic and am simply calling myself an atheist now.
I don't know anything about God or the gods, kami, spirits, etc. but I don't really see a point in believing in them. I feel like at this point in my life, trying to pretend that I entertain a serious possibility that any of these may exist at all would be just dancing around the point and hiding my genuine feelings on the matter.
I feel that my life has sense because of an existing God. Therefore I think it makes sense to honestly think about God's existence. The sense in my life: seeking out and finding God, coming closer to Him and learning more from Him.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I feel that my life has sense because of an existing God. Therefore I think it makes sense to honestly think about God's existence. The sense in my life: seeking out and finding God, coming closer to Him and learning more from Him.
That's fair. I never had that sense of purpose even when I still believed in a god, but if it works for you and makes you see sense in the world, then I'm not going to begrudge you that.