• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agnostic VS Atheist

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
What a bunch of hogwash. :facepalm:

Look I have substantiated my views as much as I care to.
If that is not to your satisfaction, then so be it.

The word 'gnostic' indicates that you know.
The word 'agnostic' indicates that you do not know.
Those are the degrees and the correct usage of those terms.
In addition to that the words 'theist', 'deist' and 'atheist' denotes the relevant position.

That is all. It's no more complicated than that.

And for the record, I have no problems discussing many facets of science, but as mentioned I have little time for people who believe that observed reality is not real, and that reality is instead inside their heads.

So now you know.
Whether you chose to accept that or not is up to you, but I have no more time for vague metaphysical ramblings of a kind that would make Deepak Choprah proud.

Last edited:

Acim

Revelation all the time
What a bunch of hogwash. :facepalm:

Look I have substantiated my views as much as I care to.
If that is not to your satisfaction, then so be it.

The word 'gnostic' indicates that you know.
The word 'agnostic' indicates that you do not know.
Those are the degrees and the correct usage of those terms.
In addition to that the words 'theist', 'deist' and 'atheist' denotes the relevant position.

That is all. It's no more complicated than that.

Then your hogwash crap in OP about "absolute certainty" is something I take it you care to back off from.

And for the record, I have no problems discussing many facets of science, but as mentioned I have little time for people who believe that observed reality is not real, and that reality is instead inside their heads.

Well if "little time" is the amount of time you have chosen to hold a discussion with me, then so be it.

I have little patience and can be prone to write with sense of disrespect for those who are intellectually dishonest AND combine that with biases that allow for disrespectful terms to be tossed around (aka you're delusional). I admit to speaking with disrespectful terms, I would stipulate that almost all of mine have been using yours right back atcha.

So now you know.
Whether you chose to accept that or not is up to you, but I have no more time for vague metaphysical ramblings of a kind that would make Deepak Choprah proud.

Nor apparently time for being intellectually honest. You lost the debate. I understand how that feels. You can't back up your connotations for gnostic and knowledge with the dictionary you cited in OP. You have since gone drastically away from the point that lead to your conclusion, and thus your conclusion is very faulty. So, you go ad hom with me to try and save face. All fine and good.

But record will still show that you have essentially argued for Believer and Agnostic as the two most sensible positions. Care to suggest otherwise in the course of discussion, have at it. Care to suggest otherwise without carrying a reasonable discussion, because you wanna pick up your bouncy ball and go home now, well, awwwwww, I feel oh so sorry for you. Yes I do. Yes I do.

:baby:

(Peek-a-boo)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Then your hogwash crap in OP about "absolute certainty" is something I take it you care to back off from.

We've been over this and I've explained the use of those terms to you.

Well if "little time" is the amount of time you have chosen to hold a discussion with me, then so be it.

That would be correct.

I have little patience and can be prone to write with sense of disrespect for those who are intellectually dishonest AND combine that with biases that allow for disrespectful terms to be tossed around (aka you're delusional). I admit to speaking with disrespectful terms, I would stipulate that almost all of mine have been using yours right back atcha.

When you find someone who is intellectually dishonest and biased feel free.
For the record I have not considered myself to be offended at any point.
I have much thicker skin than that.

Nor apparently time for being intellectually honest.

As mentioned I've explained everything relevant to the topic of this tread.
In addition I've refused to take seriously your notions that observed reality is not real as that is a nonsensical and futile argument.
If you call that being intellectually dishonest, then so be it.

You lost the debate. I understand how that feels.

Well, if that's what you need to get you through the day, then have at it.
Me, I don't see how I've lost anything here. ;)

You can't back up your connotations for gnostic and knowledge with the dictionary you cited in OP.

I have given you all the references you need.

You have since gone drastically away from the point that lead to your conclusion, and thus your conclusion is very faulty. So, you go ad hom with me to try and save face. All fine and good.

I think you need to check the definition of an ad hom.
Also, my conclusion was explained long time ago.
I see no point in rehashing that.

But record will still show that you have essentially argued for Believer and Agnostic as the two most sensible positions.

This tread was never about what was most sensible.
It was only about what certain terms mean.

Care to suggest otherwise in the course of discussion, have at it. Care to suggest otherwise without carrying a reasonable discussion, because you wanna pick up your bouncy ball and go home now, well, awwwwww, I feel oh so sorry for you. Yes I do. Yes I do.

Nah. I just don't see any point in wasting more time on this.

We're done here.

Acim

Revelation all the time
We've been over this and I've explained the use of those terms to you.

We haven't been over how you arrived at your conclusion in OP. Please update that, if you will. I will restate it here so you can speak directly to the point that LEAD TO YOUR CONCLUSION.

The word Gnostic comes from the Greek “gnostikos” and means “to know”, and likewise the connotation “Agnostic” means “not to know”. Therefore someone who considers themselves to be a Gnostic implies that they are absolutely certain about the subject at hand, while someone who uses the term Agnostic implies that they are not certain. This leads to the conclusion that no-one is “just” an Atheist or a Theist, and similarly that no-one is just an Agnostic or a Gnostic, at least in relation to this subject.

The underline part is where I feel, up to now, you are being intellectually dishonest in how you've spun the argument so far.

This implication is on you, not the dictionary. Are you arguing that "absolute certainty" is what gnostic and/or knowledge means? If not, what are you saying about "knowing?" Please spell that out, and if you truly believe you have, please reference that post in this thread. Because, as I am saying, "Gnostic Theist" and (particularly) "Gnostic Atheist" are non-sensical in the way you originally defined the term (implied meaning). If going with what you have since stated, it is more sensible, but not in line with what I think you and most rational atheists believe (about your views). It would be saying, if you are Gnostic Atheist, that you know there is no God or gods. And if that is the case, this goes back to opening argument in OP. Whereby, you are supporting that position. Again, if you feel otherwise, try to walk through it more clearly, because so far, it is nonsensical or irrational. And is akin to claiming one of the points on the scale is "Christian Atheist."

As mentioned I've explained everything relevant to the topic of this tread.

You have not. I have clearly pointed out where you have not and have again provided you opportunity to clarify.

In addition I've refused to take seriously your notions that observed reality is not real as that is a nonsensical and futile argument.
If you call that being intellectually dishonest, then so be it.

So be it. But this is sidepoint to the whole discussion. It is relevant, and need not be brought up, at least initially, while you clarify misconceptions you gave in OP, and hopefully clarify how you arrived at your conclusion. That no one is "just" a gnostic or agnostic. Agnostic appears to coincide, nearly perfectly with 1/2 of your conclusion, and the half that makes remote sense.

Well, if that's what you need to get you through the day, then have at it.
Me, I don't see how I've lost anything here. ;)

You haven't lost anything real (nor can you). But in relative gamesmanship of debate, I believe you have lost. You can still "win." I hope you do. But it will take some mental gymnastics and/or intellectual honesty.

I somewhat wish third party was reading this and would chime in. If they share your bias and can't see anyway in which you 'lost the debate,' then I'm not wanting them to chime in. LOL. But if someone is neither (strong) theist, nor strong (atheist) and they are following along what is being purported, I would like them to chime in. It would greatly surprise me if they didn't reach similar conclusions about where you went drastically wrong in OP and how that has lead to faulty conclusion you arrived at.

Also, my conclusion was explained long time ago.
I see no point in rehashing that.

Your conclusion is: no-one is “just” an Atheist or a Theist, and similarly that no-one is just an Agnostic or a Gnostic, at least in relation to this subject

How you got there is what I've been debating. But let's say you didn't show how you got there and just started with idea that "no one is just one of these labels." Instead, they are "either an Agnostic Atheist, a Gnostic Atheist, an Agnostic Theist or a Gnostic Theist. The first word implies the certainty with which you hold your position and the second implies the position itself."

Well this too is debatable. Cause the first word you have chosen may imply certainty to you, but is not how dictionary.com uses that word. So, then we are really (really really) back to assertion you made in OP that says:

"On both sides of the fence, this sort of argumentation stems from a misunderstanding of what the words actually mean."

Gnostic and agnostic do not mean certainty or lack of certainty. You feel that is implied. Cool beans. You are on record as saying Gnostic implies absolute certainty, which we've shot down, you've backed off from. The intellectual dishonest part comes up where after that above quote, you said:

"Notice: I am using the Oxford Online English Dictionary for all word definitions. "

Nope.
Nada.
Not all word definitions.
Not the one that has to do with 2/4ths of your concluding assertion.

You are free to go back to dictionary.com (as I already have) and use that to define gnostic as well as agnostic. You will not find "absolute certainty" being mentioned. Try as you might. You also won't really find "certainty." But that implication is there for you. And so, are we not back to:

"On both sides of the fence, this sort of argumentation stems from a misunderstanding of what the words actually mean."

It was only about what certain terms mean.

And then it became about what implication you see in terms, that is not found in the dictionary and dictionary.com.

I can say Christian means compassionate. It is implied in that word. I know it. You know it. We all know it. Therefore "Christian Atheist" is a type of Christian that exists in this world. In fact, it is what all Atheists are, because I've defined the terms clearly and now we all know what being an Atheist means.

...is logic you've employed.

We're done here.

Cool. I got last word.

Feels good.

Take care.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
You lost the debate. I understand how that feels....
... you wanna pick up your bouncy ball and go home now, well, awwwwww, I feel oh so sorry for you. Yes I do. Yes I do.

Well now, that showed maturity.

I somewhat wish third party was reading this and would chime in. If they share your bias and can't see anyway in which you 'lost the debate,' then I'm not wanting them to chime in. LOL. But if someone is neither (strong) theist, nor strong (atheist) and they are following along what is being purported, I would like them to chime in. It would greatly surprise me if they didn't reach similar conclusions about where you went drastically wrong in OP and how that has lead to faulty conclusion you arrived at.
Being neither a theist or atheist, it seems to me that jarofthoughts had a valid point.
Although the colloquial usage of some of the terms he spoke of may vary, when used in the context of the OP, they fit well.

And yes, you may have the...
... last word.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Well now, that showed maturity.

Oh, I disagree. That was not a mature response by me. More like par for the course for where debate evolved.

Being neither a theist or atheist, it seems to me that jarofthoughts had a valid point.
Although the colloquial usage of some of the terms he spoke of may vary, when used in the context of the OP, they fit well.

I agree he had a valid point. And is the same point he was arguing against. He ended up arguing for it. He also had one or two (highly) invalid points.

Point is: There are some who claim to know gods/God exists, and some who claim to know god/Gods don't exist. We might refer to them as "knowing theist" and "knowing atheist." They know their position, know their claims, and are not operating from belief (as dictionaries might define theist and atheist).

Then there are those among us who "don't know either way." Those are agnostics. They don't know god/Gods exist, and they don't know god/Gods don't exist. Again, they are agnostic, and not knowing either way. Arguably, they could have beliefs, but is a side point (really).

In my experience, there are mostly 2 types of people: Believers: believe god/Gods exist, don't claim to know it really; and Agnostics: vary in degree of how much they don't know. Still have beliefs, but if wishing to stay agnostic, they be wise to say none of their beliefs (on this subject) contain anything resembling knowledge.

There are exceptions to the two types, who are of the knowing kind either way. I find these people to be fundamentalists. Is interesting when I encounter them, but admittedly, easy to lose patience if no sense of 'common rationality' is to be found or mutually agreed upon. In recent years, the persons that show up to me as 'rational atheists' (a la Dawkins), strike me as Agnostic, since they do admit to not knowing, for certain, that there is no god/Gods.

But my take in all this, as stated before, is that the atheist types can show up, sometimes (not all the time) as 100% convinced that there is no god/Gods. Theist types can show up 100% convinced that there is a god/Gods. And vast majority of humans I've met, heard of, and are me, can show up all across the scale. Such that, I might wake up feeling agnostic, might by noon that day be full blown atheist, and might lay down that night as a theist / believer. I truly believe it works just like this. Most, if not all, of the time.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Btw, I'm a Gnostic Theist.

Generally speaking, of course.

Oh no wait, I'm an Universalist. Or maybe I an Universalist who is also a Gnostic Theist.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Chase200mph

This short piece is written to deal with the argument stating, often quite vocally, that Atheists are just as bad as Theists who claim with certainty that there is a god. This, they assess, is because it is impossible to prove the non-existence of God, and an Atheist who made such an absolute claim would indeed be out of his or her depth. Therefore, some argue, the only viable position is to be an Agnostic. In the minds of some people there is a degree ranging from Atheist to Agnostic to Theist. On both sides of the fence, this sort of argumentation stems from a misunderstanding of what the words actually mean.

Notice: I am using the Oxford Online English Dictionary for all word definitions.

The term “Atheism” is defined as “the belief that God does not exist”. Notice the word “belief”. That means that being an Atheist does not in any way indicate knowledge about the non-existence of god.

Likewise, the term “Theism” is defined as “belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe”. That last part of the sentence is important because it represents the dividing line between a Theist and a Deist. But like in the Atheism example, the active word is “belief”, not knowledge.

The word Gnostic comes from the Greek “gnostikos” and means “to know”, and likewise the connotation “Agnostic” means “not to know”. Therefore someone who considers themselves to be a Gnostic implies that they are absolutely certain about the subject at hand, while someone who uses the term Agnostic implies that they are not certain. This leads to the conclusion that no-one is “just” an Atheist or a Theist, and similarly that no-one is just an Agnostic or a Gnostic, at least in relation to this subject.

So, to sum up, one is either an Agnostic Atheist, a Gnostic Atheist, an Agnostic Theist or a Gnostic Theist. The first word implies the certainty with which you hold your position and the second implies the position itself. It’s as simple as that. Still, this position might change depending on which god one is talking about. Unless one was to find that a person believes in all gods everywhere (there are thousands of religions, some with thousands of gods), that person is an Atheist with regards to some, usually most, gods.

Just sayin'... :)

Well done, very nicely written…..while I might believe in something someone might refer to as a god, I know there is no evidence for this belief of mine any more than there is any evidence for any religion based god. However, I do know that the Christian/Judean/Muslim/Islamic god/s are fake man made creations because there is evidence of this….
So I guess I am an agnostic that is not sure he believes he is an atheist…. : )

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Well done, very nicely written…..while I might believe in something someone might refer to as a god, I know there is no evidence for this belief of mine any more than there is any evidence for any religion based god. However, I do know that the Christian/Judean/Muslim/Islamic god/s are fake man made creations because there is evidence of this….
So I guess I am an agnostic that is not sure he believes he is an atheist…. : )

Thank you. :)
The only one who can determine whether you are an atheist, theist or a deist, is you.
And there is no reason why that cannot change several times per day, depending on your mood and current line of thought.
My take on it is simply that I do not include into my view of reality anything that we do not have evidence exists.
That is not to say that I in any way think that we have anything resembling complete knowledge and I am always ready to change my mind, should the required evidence surface.
Thus, I consider myself first and foremost an empiricists, and the fact that that makes me an atheist is merely consequential. :D

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Personally I would not suggest that I am an atheist - I use the Ignostic approach (rather than being ignostic) to arrive at a theological position which does not contradict the possibility of some concept for 'god' existing.

Therefore I believe that such a 'god' - using a general minimalist description of such an entity or force (no I do not even limit the concept to being an 'entity') - is possible to exist. As such I am not an Atheist, I use the Ignostic approach and this may make me more liable to adopt a rational approach (with the inclusion of rational tools such as logical examination) to metaphysical concepts, however, the term Atheist does not apply as their are some concepts of 'God' that while I do not believe in, I do believe are possible.

Btw, I also use the fideistic approach for discussion (whereas I use the ignostic approach for debate and rational discussion)

Dipintus

As far as I'm concerned, the meaning of words isn't set in stone: atheism can be used to mean both the lack of a belief on the matter or the belief (without claiming certainty) that god doesn't exist.
The Britannica and the Webster both report the "who denies the existence of any god" definition - but I guess this will only start a debate on what "deny" really menas. I'm fairly sure that's the way most pople interpret these words, otherwise these debates wouldn't even be necessary.

For example, I am agnostic towards the existence of intelligent life in the galaxy but I don't consider myself an uh... I guess the term would be axenian: I think it is likely, but I cannot calim a strong belief either way.

As a last note, I think it is rather tacky for many atheists to claim that anyone professing any non religious belief is secretly an atheist who refuses to admit it. When I hear these claims I give out the same sigh I give when I hear a religious person claiming that I obviously believe in god, I'm only scared to admit it.
Maybe (the horror!) they actually hold different opinions and don't feel they can identify with atheism.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah, not like their opinions count. :)
"You are entitled to your own opinion; you are not entitled to your own facts."

If a person can't even define the term "god" to the point where he can evaluate statements that use it, then it would be impossible for him to truthfully say that he has a belief in any god.

Without a belief in a god, he is an atheist.

IMO, the ignostic is a special type of atheist who gives a very particular reason for his atheism.

I disagree.
Care to expand why?