• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agnostic VS Atheist

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
She was unable to stop me from posting my definitions, but (so far) there's been no argument, depending upon how you define "argue".:p
If you post something in a debate forum, people will jump to the conclusion that it is part of an argument for something. In this case, you posted definitions that you knew might attract argument. I will help you defend them, if you wish. ;)

Acim

Revelation all the time
The word Gnostic comes from the Greek “gnostikos” and means “to know”, and likewise the connotation “Agnostic” means “not to know”. Therefore someone who considers themselves to be a Gnostic implies that they are absolutely certain about the subject at hand, while someone who uses the term Agnostic implies that they are not certain.

You may wish to check your own definition of knowledge as linked in post #16. And/or just check with dictionary.com on "gnostic." The words "absolutely" and "certain" are nowhere to be found in that definition (with exception of "certain" being used in form of "particular").

Anyway, this then places significant doubt in your conclusions if you are going with implication that Gnostic means "absolutely certain." I could just as well claim that atheists imply absolute certainty that there is no God. Ask me to back that up with a dictionary definition, and I may not be able to, but if I claim the implication is there, would that mean my argument still holds water?

This leads to the conclusion that no-one is “just” an Atheist or a Theist, and similarly that no-one is just an Agnostic or a Gnostic, at least in relation to this subject.

Surprisingly, this is how I understand things, and experience both faith and reason. Yet, not in the direction you went after this. To me, we all have atheistic / agnostic beliefs and ideas floating in and out of our consciousness. And we have theistic / gnostic / deist beliefs and ideas floating in and out as well. To latch onto one label and pigeon-hole one's own self into a particular category takes an amount of hubris that I believe is under explored and borderline irrational.

We have thousands of thoughts that cross our mind daily (maybe more, I'm going with conservative number I think). When one becomes earnest seeker, and does practices like meditation and contemplation, it becomes apparent, I believe (and experience) that we, or I, are not alone in what thoughts arise. Or perhaps more to the point, not in (full) control.

Anyway, I could go on this tangent for several more paragraphs, bringing it back to why general position of 'believer' makes rational sense to me; but for sake of this thread, I'm looking to get across the idea that it is possible for me (or anyone) to wake up one day agnostic, by noon that day be a full blown atheist, and go to bed as a theist. If you have to pigeon-hole what those terms mean, then perhaps the point I'm making, which I fully understand to be rational given my experience and research that has been done (regarding amount of thoughts crossing our mind), then, again, perhaps the point I'm making will be lost to you.

But I will restate what got me to this point as I see it applying to rational assertion I reached:

the conclusion that no-one is “just” an Atheist or a Theist, and similarly that no-one is just an Agnostic or a Gnostic, at least in relation to this subject.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Knowledge:
Knowledge | Define Knowledge at Dictionary.com

Belief:
Belief | Define Belief at Dictionary.com

They are, as I'm sure you'll agree, not even remotely the same thing. ;)

In my understanding, these are "remotely" the same thing. Very close in understanding, when truly looking at terms, especially if willing to look at overlap.

First if we go without dictionary definition, and the following two claims are put forth:

Person A - I believe I am in a human body
Person B - I know I am a human body

The observed effects of both these assertions will be the same - individual human body. Both are leading to that observation, neither is denying "existence in or as a human body."

The degree of certainty appears to be greater (I think) with Person B, but also more susceptible to, how you say, objective evidence. At same time, I think degree of susceptibility needs to be understood as subjective or biased. For I do feel the B assertion is more susceptible, while I can entertain the idea that to another (who knows themselves as human body) it is the A assertion that is more susceptible. IMO, this tangent of susceptibility goes deeper than I care to make in this thread, and just assume leave it with idea that both assertions may be susceptible to 'outside' observers, but also with conclusion that belief and knowledge in this example lead to positive assertion that is essentially equal in observation.

Next if we go with dictionary definition, and seek overlap, that is "remotely related" I think similarity can be found. Admittedly, I'll be cherry picking on definitions to make this assertion, but would suggest that reaching conclusion of "not even remotely the same thing" is likely cherry picking among list of definitions for each. Again, not looking to say, they are same. But am looking to suggest they are (remotely) similar.

> From dictionary.com
- Knowledge (noun)
Def. 1 = acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation

- Belief (noun)
Def. 2 = confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof

If rebuttal is 'these are not the same thing,' I most likely would agree. To say they are not remotely similar or the same is where I would disagree. Both are concerned with familiarity / faith in truth and/or existence and/or facts. I realize that assertion may be refuted, though for now I stand by it.

I'll also just add that the dictionary definition seems to me make believing stronger than knowledge. I can't even say I agree with way that knowledge is defined, but given what is listed, it seems like belief is confident while knowledge is (merely) acquainted with (concepts). Makes the whole "Gnostic" thing go down a few more notches as there isn't much implication here that knowing means anything close to 'absolutely certain,' while Belief would be closer to that degree of certainty (or confidence).

And I'll also admit that more than half way through typing this post I realized there was a winking smiley put after the whole assertion I'm basing my post on, which made me think I am making philosophical mountain our of cynical molehill. But since it was so much fun typing all this up, I'm going with it.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
You may wish to check your own definition of knowledge as linked in post #16. And/or just check with dictionary.com on "gnostic." The words "absolutely" and "certain" are nowhere to be found in that definition (with exception of "certain" being used in form of "particular").

How certain someone is of anything is, of course, not a black and white issue. Rather it is more like a sliding scale, something illustrated by Dawkins' "belief in a god scale" of 1-7. But I think it is important to distinguish between those who unequivocally state "there is no god", as some atheists will do, and the more, in my opinion, reasonable "there is no reason to believe that there is a god".

Anyway, this then places significant doubt in your conclusions if you are going with implication that Gnostic means "absolutely certain." I could just as well claim that atheists imply absolute certainty that there is no God. Ask me to back that up with a dictionary definition, and I may not be able to, but if I claim the implication is there, would that mean my argument still holds water?

Seeing as the original Greek word means "to know", that is what it implies. And things we claim to know are usually things we are absolutely certain of. We can of course have a lengthy debate about what it means to know something, which I'm sure would be both interesting and useful, but in that case we should probably start a new tread for that purpose. :)

Surprisingly, this is how I understand things, and experience both faith and reason. Yet, not in the direction you went after this. To me, we all have atheistic / agnostic beliefs and ideas floating in and out of our consciousness. And we have theistic / gnostic / deist beliefs and ideas floating in and out as well. To latch onto one label and pigeon-hole one's own self into a particular category takes an amount of hubris that I believe is under explored and borderline irrational.

As I've mentioned earlier in this tread, I'm not myself overly fond of the label 'atheist' but in a world where the vast majority believe in a god or gods of some sort, I do see a use for it.

We have thousands of thoughts that cross our mind daily (maybe more, I'm going with conservative number I think). When one becomes earnest seeker, and does practices like meditation and contemplation, it becomes apparent, I believe (and experience) that we, or I, are not alone in what thoughts arise. Or perhaps more to the point, not in (full) control.

Well, that has also been confirmed by modern science, particularly neurology.
Again, perhaps a separate tread might be in order. :)

Anyway, I could go on this tangent for several more paragraphs, bringing it back to why general position of 'believer' makes rational sense to me; but for sake of this thread, I'm looking to get across the idea that it is possible for me (or anyone) to wake up one day agnostic, by noon that day be a full blown atheist, and go to bed as a theist. If you have to pigeon-hole what those terms mean, then perhaps the point I'm making, which I fully understand to be rational given my experience and research that has been done (regarding amount of thoughts crossing our mind), then, again, perhaps the point I'm making will be lost to you.

The point of this tread was not to discuss the mental gymnastics behind people's positions but rather to try to establish the correct use of words and, hopefully, to avoid misunderstandings.

But I will restate what got me to this point as I see it applying to rational assertion I reached:

the conclusion that no-one is “just” an Atheist or a Theist, and similarly that no-one is just an Agnostic or a Gnostic, at least in relation to this subject.

I'm not sure what, if anything, you have against this statement. Could you elaborate please? :)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
In my understanding, these are "remotely" the same thing. Very close in understanding, when truly looking at terms, especially if willing to look at overlap....

<snipped>

The point I was making is that knowledge is in relation to facts where as belief is closer to opinion, often not based in facts.
Facts stem from observation, the core method of determining evidence in science, which, as far as I'm concerned, is how we should define reality.
Which means that I do have a problem with it when someone claims to 'know' that there is a god based on anecdotes or even personal experience, which on no account can be considered objective or empirical. That is not knowledge.
That is opinion.
Of course, how high we place the bar on 'knowledge' might depend on the subject we're dealing with, but when it comes to defining reality, I place that bar very high indeed. ;)

Acim

Revelation all the time
How certain someone is of anything is, of course, not a black and white issue. Rather it is more like a sliding scale, something illustrated by Dawkins' "belief in a god scale" of 1-7. But I think it is important to distinguish between those who unequivocally state "there is no god", as some atheists will do, and the more, in my opinion, reasonable "there is no reason to believe that there is a god".

Agreed it is important to distinguish that, though not sure I would call that atheism. That strikes me as closer to agnostic. I realize you feel you addressed all this in OP, but I'm more or less advocating for 'let's put the atheistic claim to rest now.' I realize self identified atheists are unlikely to do that, based solely on my suggestion.

I find it interesting the choice of words, "in my opinion, it is more reasonable." Doesn't that have significant impact on what is being discussed? Just like if anyone says, "in my opinion, it is more reasonable to trust God." Ultimately, it seems to me, we come back to belief / trust than we are willing to truly stick with reason. But before you take that as my main point / rebuttal, I really wish to say that 'reason to believe' as used in your assertion (and others that have claimed this) often comes off to me as "there is not motivating factor, for 'me,' to believe that there is a god." I am not looking for that to be disputed, even while I realize it could be. I'm okay with having that discussion, but on the level of 'reason,' I'm saying it often reads that way to me. Cause when I have the many discussions I have in this vein, people want to change goal posts for 'what is reasonable.' And when I say "people" I mean myself included, but surely not only me. Again, 'what is reasonable,' is often conjoined with 'in my opinion' at some point of arguments in this domain.

Seeing as the original Greek word means "to know", that is what it implies. And things we claim to know are usually things we are absolutely certain of. We can of course have a lengthy debate about what it means to know something, which I'm sure would be both interesting and useful, but in that case we should probably start a new tread for that purpose. :)

Why not go with dictionary.com if that was being cited for other definitions? It is as if you are assuming "to know" must mean "absolute certainty." I may agree with that, but at same time, it is not found in dictionary. So, we could as well suggest that atheism means "absolute certainty there is no god." And I'm sure some theists, agnostics, and even atheists in the room would be familiar with that definition of atheism, but also possible that many think that is inaccurate definition applying to all (ahem) denominations of atheism.

The point of this tread was not to discuss the mental gymnastics behind people's positions but rather to try to establish the correct use of words and, hopefully, to avoid misunderstandings.

Then why is incorrect usage of Gnostic being made and justified as so?

Correct use of these words is going to be hard to come by, because there are denominations or sliding scales being constantly applied. That is how I see purpose of this thread being invoked. That there aren't just 3 categories that we are all familiar with, but 4 other categories based on a sliding scale, from incorrect usage of the term Gnostic. I'll actually grant that you are close to my understanding of Agnostic, but how you got there is close to unreasonable since Gnostics both that I've met, heard about and are defined in the dictionary, aren't summarized by "absolute certainty." So, one has to use 'mental gymnastics' to stand by connotation that this is what Gnosticism actually means.

I am one that also is willing to discuss / argue strong similarities between atheism and agnostic. I can draw reasonable distinctions between the two, but I see the two as quite similar. And I was linked to this thread from a more recent thread that was essentially claiming atheists are agnostic posers, which makes sense to me.

I'm not sure what, if anything, you have against this statement. Could you elaborate please? :)

Nothing against that assertion as long as understood within context of we all have a little agnostic / atheism in us as well as theist / deist / Gnostic as well. That it is more rational given what science and I would say common sense has told us about the thoughts we are (constantly) thinking, to realize these labels apply to us as a whole, and a bit irrational to say the labels apply to us as individuals. That no one reading this is "just" an atheist or "just" a theist. And instead, each of us is a little of it all, with perhaps general leanings toward one position as compared to another (or when compared to the other).

Acim

Revelation all the time
The point I was making is that knowledge is in relation to facts where as belief is closer to opinion, often not based in facts.

That would be inaccurate implication of belief. That might plausible connotation (subjective interpretation). I can, quite easily, hold beliefs about what is considered "collective knowledge." I feel we do this all the time. I feel many scientists do this much of the time as we rely on the conclusions of others to correctly support our beliefs in the knowledge of science. Otherwise, we, as individuals, would have to do each and every test to actually be 'in the know' with certain (scientific) facts. We trust scientific conclusions, partly to mostly because of methodology. Though that is based on an assumption which is mostly pointless to argue in this thread.

Facts stem from observation, the core method of determining evidence in science, which, as far as I'm concerned, is how we should define reality.

I partly agree, but mostly disagree. The act of observing has grossly obvious bias at work that I understand (if I'm being generous) is an axiom. It is the assumption that 'as human bodies' we (or I am) are able to make non biased observations. This is not what is doing the determination on rationality of evidence. Instead it is the hypothesis (partly, perhaps mostly) and the conclusions or theories (mainly, or perhaps partly).

Observation is both over inflated in the scope of scientific methodology, as noted in context you asserted, and under explored (IMO) in terms of how biased is this so called observer. Do we allow for observations within our consciousness via say meditation or contemplation in modern science? I'll go ahead and say no, these observations are generally disallowed for perception of subjectivity and perceived inability to substantiate findings. And yet, at a certain level (of acute awareness) this is precisely what scientific method is allowing for, a certain consensus to be built on an axiom that is vastly assumed to be 'nature of reality.'

Which means that I do have a problem with it when someone claims to 'know' that there is a god based on anecdotes or even personal experience, which on no account can be considered objective or empirical. That is not knowledge.

By the definition provided in the dictionary it can be deemed knowledge. It is only bias of what constitutes rational study that suggests otherwise. Anecdotes have a place in collective knowledge, in my understanding. But if nitpicking on veracity of elements of each and any anecdote, I think it will be uncovered that there is more supposition and folklore at work than verifiable information. Like saying Newton "discovered" theory of gravity when apple fell on his head. Arguably, or even undoubtedly, our knowledge of gravitational force applies to that anecdote, but thrust of the theory seems very far fetched to believe this 'all occurred to him after he was hit on the head by an apple.' And I believe most learned believers (of gravitational force) would suggest the story is not entirely accurate as told by some. Nor does it even need to be brought up to understand gravity.

To say personal experience is no account to be considered empirical is highly debatable. If you are saying personal experience that is also unique and claimed as such, then that I can go along with. But there are testable / verifiable methods for what amounts to introspection. And just like there is taxonomy with organisms, there is a sense of taxonomy that occurs with metaphysical constructs. There is variation (galore) on these classifications, but to assume that because there is various interpretations for what is being experience therefore nullifies the account is irrational. And is sort of irrationality that leads to preposterous claim(s) that an outer guru is necessary to bring clarification and 'standardizing' to the experience. To help the seeker identify what is being encountered. IMO, this happens in science and is where I strongly believe the neutral science that is argued to work, breaks down in our world of 'accreditation' and consensus. It is where science becomes the new dogma. Because, it isn't simply that I can observe, hypothesize, experiment, and theorize whatever I desire about physical reality, but instead I must align with what has come before me and what is popular theory if I am to be fully accepted as 'legitimate science.' Until that occurs, I may be engaging in psuedo science, or brand of science that simply majority of other scientists don't care about; that is unless I make major breakthrough.

Of course, how high we place the bar on 'knowledge' might depend on the subject we're dealing with, but when it comes to defining reality, I place that bar very high indeed. ;)

Do you? Do you question the axiom that the physical world is self evident? Do you explore, what spiritual types (who may be essentially agnostic theists) theorize is another way of understanding / perceiving the physical world? Do you understand how body identification can greatly influence, even confuse, self awareness? If yes, I'll believe you on the very high bar thing.

Otherwise those who espouse reality is outside of their mind and claim that to be knowledge are a dime a dozen in their ignorance of rational thinking.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Agreed it is important to distinguish that, though not sure I would call that atheism. That strikes me as closer to agnostic. I realize you feel you addressed all this in OP, but I'm more or less advocating for 'let's put the atheistic claim to rest now.' I realize self identified atheists are unlikely to do that, based solely on my suggestion...

<snipped>

Look, I think you're overcomplicating something that isn't very complicated.
Theist means someone who believes in a personal god or gods.
Deist means someone who believes in a non-personal god or gods.
Atheist means someone who does not believe in a god or gods at all.
None of those positions say anything about the certainty with which the position is held.
For that we have the terms Gnostic, which means you 'know' something (or at least claim you do) while the term Agnostic means you don't know.

That is all.

We can of course debate the meaning of the word 'know', but that is not what this tread is about. It's merely about clarifying those terms for the people who for some reason think that 'agnostic' is a the position between 'theist' and 'atheist', and also to clarify that being an atheist does not mean that you claim that no gods exist, merely that you do not believe that to be the case.

Simple, no?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
That would be inaccurate implication of belief. That might plausible connotation (subjective interpretation). I can, quite easily, hold beliefs about what is considered "collective knowledge." I feel we do this all the time. I feel many scientists do this much of the time as we rely on the conclusions of others to correctly support our beliefs in the knowledge of science. Otherwise, we, as individuals, would have to do each and every test to actually be 'in the know' with certain (scientific) facts. We trust scientific conclusions, partly to mostly because of methodology. Though that is based on an assumption which is mostly pointless to argue in this thread.

Trust and religious faith/belief are two different things.
This has been discussed ad nauseum on these forums before and for those who equate those two concepts, well, there is no helping them.
They are either too stupid to understand the difference or too dishonest to admit that it is there.
They are not the same, and as a courtesy I'll assume that is not what you meant.

I partly agree, but mostly disagree. The act of observing has grossly obvious bias at work that I understand (if I'm being generous) is an axiom. It is the assumption that 'as human bodies' we (or I am) are able to make non biased observations. This is not what is doing the determination on rationality of evidence. Instead it is the hypothesis (partly, perhaps mostly) and the conclusions or theories (mainly, or perhaps partly).

I'm well aware of the Scientific Method and how objective evidence and testing works.

Observation is both over inflated in the scope of scientific methodology, as noted in context you asserted, and under explored (IMO) in terms of how biased is this so called observer. Do we allow for observations within our consciousness via say meditation or contemplation in modern science? I'll go ahead and say no, these observations are generally disallowed for perception of subjectivity and perceived inability to substantiate findings. And yet, at a certain level (of acute awareness) this is precisely what scientific method is allowing for, a certain consensus to be built on an axiom that is vastly assumed to be 'nature of reality.'

Well, observation in one form or another is the only thing we've got.
I'm sure as hell not going to take into account what some nutjob dreamed up in his own mind while meditating as part of how I see reality.

By the definition provided in the dictionary it can be deemed knowledge. It is only bias of what constitutes rational study that suggests otherwise. Anecdotes have a place in collective knowledge, in my understanding. But if nitpicking on veracity of elements of each and any anecdote, I think it will be uncovered that there is more supposition and folklore at work than verifiable information. Like saying Newton "discovered" theory of gravity when apple fell on his head. Arguably, or even undoubtedly, our knowledge of gravitational force applies to that anecdote, but thrust of the theory seems very far fetched to believe this 'all occurred to him after he was hit on the head by an apple.' And I believe most learned believers (of gravitational force) would suggest the story is not entirely accurate as told by some. Nor does it even need to be brought up to understand gravity.

The plural of anecdote is not data, and personal testimony is considered the very lowest form of evidence, if at all, in science. Hence, anecdotes are not sufficient and are generally not used at all.
As for the story about Newton it is, as you say, unverifiable, but it is also irrelevant with regards to whether Newton's theories are correct or not.
It is like saying (as some Creationists sometimes do) that Darwin had a deathbed conversion, a story that is actually somewhat verifiable as false, but even if it wasn't, or worse, even if it was true, that impacts not at all on whether his ideas on Evolution are correct or not.

To say personal experience is no account to be considered empirical is highly debatable.

All experience is on some level personal, however, in science, if you want me to believe your claim you need more than that.
You need to be able to show me the same experience that you had, which makes it objective. And that's the kind of evidence we use in science.

If you are saying personal experience that is also unique and claimed as such, then that I can go along with. But there are testable / verifiable methods for what amounts to introspection. And just like there is taxonomy with organisms, there is a sense of taxonomy that occurs with metaphysical constructs.

Metaphysics is not science.
True, they are related, but they are not the same.
Either way, what you are describing is not objective.

There is variation (galore) on these classifications, but to assume that because there is various interpretations for what is being experience therefore nullifies the account is irrational. And is sort of irrationality that leads to preposterous claim(s) that an outer guru is necessary to bring clarification and 'standardizing' to the experience. To help the seeker identify what is being encountered. IMO, this happens in science and is where I strongly believe the neutral science that is argued to work, breaks down in our world of 'accreditation' and consensus. It is where science becomes the new dogma. Because, it isn't simply that I can observe, hypothesize, experiment, and theorize whatever I desire about physical reality, but instead I must align with what has come before me and what is popular theory if I am to be fully accepted as 'legitimate science.' Until that occurs, I may be engaging in psuedo science, or brand of science that simply majority of other scientists don't care about; that is unless I make major breakthrough.

Carl Sagan said it best: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".
In other words, if you wish to go against what we currently understand to be how reality works, you better be prepared to back that up substantially.
And that is how it should be.
We can't have any clown with his pet theory of the cosmos and quantum consciousness come in and act as if what he is doing is accepted science, because it is not. And until he can back his claims up with solid evidence, he is, by definition of the Null Hypothesis, talking ox manure.

Do you? Do you question the axiom that the physical world is self evident? Do you explore, what spiritual types (who may be essentially agnostic theists) theorize is another way of understanding / perceiving the physical world? Do you understand how body identification can greatly influence, even confuse, self awareness? If yes, I'll believe you on the very high bar thing.

Otherwise those who espouse reality is outside of their mind and claim that to be knowledge are a dime a dozen in their ignorance of rational thinking.

The physical world is all we have, and whether you like it or not, science works in this physical world.
There is absolutely no reason to think that there is anything other than this physical world.
Hence, unless it's backed by scientific evidence, I do not include it into my view of reality.

That is my high bar.

Acim

Revelation all the time
We can of course debate the meaning of the word 'know', but that is not what this tread is about. It's merely about clarifying those terms for the people who for some reason think that 'agnostic' is a the position between 'theist' and 'atheist', and also to clarify that being an atheist does not mean that you claim that no gods exist, merely that you do not believe that to be the case.

Simple, no?

Agnostic is a position between atheism and theism. You are so far failing to properly define Gnostic and to tie that in with agnostic is inappropriate. I have already explained why this is the case. I think another problem that is observable in what your error is, is that you are consistently using the proper name of Gnostic, rather than gnostic. While that may be a bit nitpicky, it is only part of the error you are making. The greek work gnostic (according to dictionary.com) means:
1 - pertaining to knowledge
2 - possessing knowledge, especially esoteric knowledge of spiritual matters.
At dictionary.com it specifies that meaning changes if choosing to use capital G for that word.

So, then we are back to the key error you keep making which is routinely claiming that gnostic (with a little g) has degree of certainty with it that belief, according to you, does not. IMO, that is where the debate is to be had, and where I continue to see you making the error you are making, and that I've noted / refuted a few times now.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Agnostic is a position between atheism and theism. You are so far failing to properly define Gnostic and to tie that in with agnostic is inappropriate. I have already explained why this is the case. I think another problem that is observable in what your error is, is that you are consistently using the proper name of Gnostic, rather than gnostic. While that may be a bit nitpicky, it is only part of the error you are making. The greek work gnostic (according to dictionary.com) means:
1 - pertaining to knowledge
2 - possessing knowledge, especially esoteric knowledge of spiritual matters.
At dictionary.com it specifies that meaning changes if choosing to use capital G for that word.

So, then we are back to the key error you keep making which is routinely claiming that gnostic (with a little g) has degree of certainty with it that belief, according to you, does not. IMO, that is where the debate is to be had, and where I continue to see you making the error you are making, and that I've noted / refuted a few times now.

I used the capital G to emphasize the word. In retrospect I should of course have used italics instead. My apologies for that spell of laziness. ;)

And yet, as the definition you've posted clearly states; gnostic is pertaining to knowledge, which means, something you know.

I fail to see where you disagree on this?

Acim

Revelation all the time
Trust and religious faith/belief are two different things.
This has been discussed ad nauseum on these forums before and for those who equate those two concepts, well, there is no helping them.
They are either too stupid to understand the difference or too dishonest to admit that it is there.
They are not the same, and as a courtesy I'll assume that is not what you meant.

I can understand the distinctions in the terms you are using. But I feel, strongly, they are very similar and not as different as you and perhaps others have presumed. Perhaps the only item I may add in, which is either world of difference to you, or is not different (I dunno), is I would desire to compare Trust with spiritual faith. Belief and trust are very similar. According to dictionary.com, the 3rd definition for belief is: confidence; faith; trust. And lo and behold, in there is faith.

So, while you and others may have had discussions ad nauseam on this topic, I am asking the discussion to be re-opened here on this thread. If that doesn't jive with you, I'll be glad to go to other threads if you care to link me there and we can discuss it there. I will just stipulate that I will have some (more like slight) desire to come from dictionary definition (which currently appears to agree with my position) and main desire to come from spirituality that I understand, and that I find to be rational. If your desire is to (perhaps) pigeon hole me into some old school (religious) version of faith and belief, I would call that most unwise. Akin to being too stupid or too dishonest to understand other ways to approach this topic.

Well, observation in one form or another is the only thing we've got.
I'm sure as hell not going to take into account what some nutjob dreamed up in his own mind while meditating as part of how I see reality.

Then I would call that irrational, ignoring the available evidence, and akin to being too stupid or too dishonest to understand other ways to approach the integrity of science and scientific method. Sure you can slough it off to 'nutjob dreamt up in own mind' but there are methods to meditating that can be / have been substantiated. You don't have to use these methods to arrive at 'truth' as you may wish to frame that, but do let's be clear that it is truth as you may wish to see it. The bias is grossly obvious. And it is variation of nutjob imagination at work, if we are looking to speak in terms of disrespect rather than that of civility.

The plural of anecdote is not data, and personal testimony is considered the very lowest form of evidence, if at all, in science. Hence, anecdotes are not sufficient and are generally not used at all.

That has only a little to do with what I was noting. I was talking about collective knowledge and how anecdotes have a place in that. I would hope you wouldn't make the grossly ignorant claim that science is the totality of human knowledge. If so, I shall like to come back to your "absolute certainty" claims and how that relates to scientific knowledge. Though, I'm guessing you back off of whatever point you were attempting to make here, realizing the hole you are digging.

As for the story about Newton it is, as you say, unverifiable, but it is also irrelevant with regards to whether Newton's theories are correct or not.
It is like saying (as some Creationists sometimes do) that Darwin had a deathbed conversion, a story that is actually somewhat verifiable as false, but even if it wasn't, or worse, even if it was true, that impacts not at all on whether his ideas on Evolution are correct or not.

I think I made the point earlier that Newton's apple story is irrelevant to Newton's theories. I don't see it as all that similar to Darwin story you raise. Would be more similar if Darwin, while on his deathbed, allegedly had epiphany, which in turn led him to constructing theory of evolution. The epiphany would be interesting, and have a place in collective knowledge (IMO), but would still be not necessary to allude to with regards to what the theory explanation is stating. Though I'm sure you know if it were this way, old school creationists would forever and a day be having a field day with that version of events. Let us be glad, that is not the case.

All experience is on some level personal, however, in science, if you want me to believe your claim you need more than that.
You need to be able to show me the same experience that you had, which makes it objective. And that's the kind of evidence we use in science.

That is not what makes it objective. And if you want me to believe your claim (of what objectivity means), I will ask that you present more than the data you have offered so far. Same experience? Ha. I could do that with meditation in the vein materialistic science does in a heartbeat. Close your eyes. Hear nothing? Yep, same experience I've had. We'll call that objective. Seriously, you gotta bring to the table a better understanding of objective than that. That is child's play.

Metaphysics is not science.
True, they are related, but they are not the same.
Either way, what you are describing is not objective.

Metaphysics and science are both branches of philosophy, and is what I was alluding to. We are talking in broader topics of belief, knowledge, faith, trust and facts. The testable / verifiable methods (for introspection) that I referenced before are objective. Far more so in the way that I believe you are using the term, even while I would concede they are perhaps not truly objective. So far, you haven't presented anything remotely close to true objectivity. But on that sort of standard, I'll admit that my bar is very high. What makes materialism science 'work' (for explanation, growing understanding) doesn't need true objectivity. Consensus will do just fine.

We can't have any clown with his pet theory of the cosmos and quantum consciousness come in and act as if what he is doing is accepted science, because it is not. And until he can back his claims up with solid evidence, he is, by definition of the Null Hypothesis, talking ox manure.

Hence the dogma I referenced before. "Accepted" science doesn't make for objective rationale, but for consensual understanding. This works. This has place in collective knowledge. But if honestly observing the basis for this philosophy, it is based on an assumption that is held, rather firmly mind you, by faith. As I've stated numerous times, that statement of faith is that the physical world is self evident. The mental gymnastics that would go into establishing that as something more than (mere) assumption would, and continually does, result in persons who rather not talk about it since the axiom is just so firmly established, or if showing honest willingness to discuss / debate does lead to realization that it is faith based philosophy. The resulting explanations / conclusions from the first axiom, carry with them a sense of rationality that is (self contained) logic, empirical and consensual. But it is not (necessarily) objectively reasonable. It is swayed by personal interpretations, prejudices and perceptions that are dependent of the observer(s).

Feel free to challenge this. I relish in the idea that someone, anyone reading this can challenge it.

The physical world is all we have, and whether you like it or not, science works in this physical world.

Really? Show me this 'science' thing of which you speak. Where in the physical world might I find this science thing.

No, science works in the mind, is a mental construct and is overlaid (by some) onto the perceptual order (physicality) in attempt to reach rational conclusions, and workable explanations about how physical phenomena and physical processes APPEAR to operate.

When you can provide truly objective evidence for the physical world, I'll be here, with strong willingness to substantiate that. So far in this challenge I've put forth, humanity is batting .000.

Science, as I understand it (routinely) is neutral. It doesn't need to be fit into only perceptual order of 'world outside' and the pretend faith of 'existence independent of the mind.' It can include that, observably does in shared reality, but science can be applied to introspection. Within consciousness, and with observation that doesn't rely on the body's senses, there are hypothesis that can be / have been made, which are testable and verifiable. That you don't want to test / verify these because of your bias / prejudice is completely up to you, not science. Your subjective rationale for not applying science to this domain of collective knowledge is 'par for the course' for those who show up to me as 'asleep at the wheel.'

There is absolutely no reason to think that there is anything other than this physical world.
Hence, unless it's backed by scientific evidence, I do not include it into my view of reality.

Then there is no science for you. No scientific method. No mathematics. No Love. No Justice. And list goes on. These things are not observable in the physical world. Find me scientific method in the physical world and I'll perhaps believe your preposterous claim that there is absolutely no reason to think there is anything other than this physical world.

Good luck (nutjob). :p

Acim

Revelation all the time
as the definition you've posted clearly states; gnostic is pertaining to knowledge, which means, something you know.

I fail to see where you disagree on this?

On how you get from "something you know" to previously "absolute certainty." And now, as I think you've updated it, "degree of certainty." As if belief doesn't carry with it some degree of certainty.

If going with dictionary definitions, I kinda think that belief has higher degree of certainty than knowing. Again, if going only with dictionary definitions. If going with common sense understandings (which may be a bit ignorant or inaccurate), I think knowing seems to carry more certainty with it than (mere) belief.

But for me, bottom line is what OP is arguing and which I'm debating. Agnostics aren't merely claiming "they don't know" and stopping there. I wouldn't care to pigeon-hole an agnostic into that position. Perhaps there are some that willingly stop there. I was once a self identified agnostic, and when in that position, it was in vein of "believing there isn't knowledge that substantiates existence of God." It isn't for me now, and for sure wasn't then, that I had to understand terms of "knowing" and "believing" to maintain my agnostic position. It was more like "I don't think so" and "I don't know what to think about the claims that suggest God exists."

Now, as I stated earlier, and stand by, I believe we as individuals fluctuate on the scale you brought up, or the Dawkins scale, or the 3 tiered traditional scale, or whatever other way we wish to spin things. I don't merely believe this, it is the position that strikes me as most rational given the data I am aware of, consciously. That we engage in agnostic, atheistic and theistic thoughts moment by moment. We can maintain illusion of general position, but I feel it is a bit irrational to say that is more likely the case than the one where our (individual) thoughts are fluctuating, and thus not only in one category.

For a general set of categories, I think the 3 tiered original scale is close to ideal. And if I were to go with something that is not that, as agnostic doesn't need to confuse things (as I hear you saying), then I'd go with 2 tiered scale of "believer" and "non believer" and call it a day.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I can understand the distinctions in the terms you are using. But I feel, strongly, they are very similar and not as different as you and perhaps others have presumed. Perhaps the only item I may add in, which is either world of difference to you, or is not different (I dunno), is I would desire to compare Trust with spiritual faith. Belief and trust are very similar. According to dictionary.com, the 3rd definition for belief is: confidence; faith; trust. And lo and behold, in there is faith...

<snipped>

Look, let's cut to the chase, because I get the distinct feeling that we're beating around the bush here, and I also get the feeling that I'm talking to some version of Deepak Choprah, which, by the way, is no compliment.

What I include into my view of reality is what has been objectively and empirically supported by scientific evidence.
Nothing more, and that is not likely to change.
You can postulate subjective realities (I know you didn't use that word but it sums up where I see this heading) or any fairytale you like, and you are, of course, welcome to believe in whatever you like.
Me, I like hard evidence, testable theories and peer review.
Any claim about reality that doesn't fit that category is highly uninteresting to discuss.

Also, since we seem to be jumping from one category of discussion to the next, I tire of this game. It appears dishonest to me, since rather than presenting your view and stating it clearly, you dance around the subject and try desperately to poke holes where there are none.

So, some simple facts to end this nonsense, take them or leave them, but note that if you leave them, this conversation is over as I see no point in continuing:

- Science works.
- The scientific method is the best way we have come up with for figuring out how reality works.
- The physical world is real.

Yes, I know that last one is, in essence, an assumption, but it is all we have so that's what we work with. The Matrix hypothesis (or similar) is cute, but I've been over that one way too many times already and it never leads anywhere.

So, do you accept the above or shall we end this and save us both some time?

Acim

Revelation all the time
- Science works.
- The scientific method is the best way we have come up with for figuring out how reality works.
- The physical world is real.

Yes, I know that last one is, in essence, an assumption, but it is all we have so that's what we work with. The Matrix hypothesis (or similar) is cute, but I've been over that one way too many times already and it never leads anywhere.

So, do you accept the above or shall we end this and save us both some time?

I do not accept the physical world is real. It is cute that you believe that, but it is delusional. You have no objective proof for it. I've asked you umpteen times for it, and you have not brought anything to the table.

Since you admit it is assumption, I don't think it would be all that challenging if we did discuss it further for you to admit / realize it is faith based. If you are not willing to bring yourself to that admission right now, nor care to discuss it further, I would understand that in the way I understand others who are essentially intellectually lazy on this fairly significant point. You want your physical cake, and to eat it as well, even while that (like scientific explanations of the materialistic kind) are circular logic, based on faith, and deluded by system of thinking that arrogantly claims, it is the 'one true reality.' Hmmm, where have I heard that sort of dogmatic assertion before?

What I include into my view of reality is what has been objectively and empirically supported by scientific evidence.

Even this is debatable and has been since you've brought it up. You beat around the bush about objectivity. And not all of your 'view of reality' has been empirically supported by your experience. It is another faith based assumption being employed. Unless you wish to claim that all scientific hypotheses and theories have been tested by you. Let us be honest and say that even with knowledge of scientific research, your personal experience is quite limited, though you have faith / trust in body of work across several denominations of scientific research.

Me, I like hard evidence, testable theories and peer review.
Any claim about reality that doesn't fit that category is highly uninteresting to discuss.

That is fine. But to be clear that is not science and is clearly a bias you are displaying. My bias:

Me, I like the things you have stated plus I allow for / appreciate wide array of epistemological constructs, such as art/music, spirituality, philosophy/science. Any claim of reality that purports knowledge as outside or independent of the mind is intriguing to me, but ultimately delusional and/or impractical.

It appears dishonest to me, since rather than presenting your view and stating it clearly, you dance around the subject and try desperately to poke holes where there are none.

Telling you that you are misrepresenting concept of Gnostic and knowing is poking holes where there are none? Who is being dishonest here? You have stated that you made error by capitalizing gnostic which is basis of OP point. You have yet to admit to error of how knowing for you means degree of certainty that belief doesn't have. I think you backed off of the "absolute certainty" claim brought up earlier, as I think it became abundantly clear to you that you were erroneous on two counts of how you arrived there. So, we are down to "degree of certainty" which given context of what OP is saying, is pertinent.

The science stuff is side stepping the argument of OP. It is related / relevant, but in making claims about gnostic / agnostic, science and scientific knowledge need not be addressed or elaborated upon, unless one's prejudice is what we are actually working with.

Your claim, I think, is that knowing carries with it a degree of certainty, and that agnostics have 'no certainty' about existence of God. That is how I understand your logic so far. Yet where things continue to be tangled within logic of OP, is your denial (as I continue to understand things you are saying) that belief DOES carry a degree of certainty as well. And that arguably it is higher degree than knowing. At a certain level, knowing doesn't even matter to the whole discussion, since we could as well just use 'degrees of certainty' as the scale. An agnostic, as I understand it would be allowed to float on any level of the scale from zero certainty to 99% certainty. Perhaps that is debatable, but for now I'll go with it. A believer, can go from 100% certainty there is a God or gods to around 51% certainty. And an atheist then would be around 0% certain to 49% that a God exist. Though I don't think any atheist I know would put it that way, and instead would say it more in vein of being 100% certain to no lower than 51% certain that God or gods do not exist.

Those percentages I'm sure are debatable, but is closest I can come to matching how you have presented the argument so far. Again, that it is in terms of degree of certainty. And where I think you may differ so far, is you haven't come to terms yet with idea that belief does carry with it a degree of certainty, while attributing degree or sense of certainty only to knowledge. That is the error you have made in logic of this thread and is where I've been poking the biggest and consistent hole thus far.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I do not accept the physical world is real. It is cute that you believe that, but it is delusional. You have no objective proof for it. I've asked you umpteen times for it, and you have not brought anything to the table.

I've never claimed objective evidence for it (I prefer the term evidence. Proof is not relevant in this context).
And yes, it is an assumption precisely because of that, but then again, there is no reason to think that the physical world is not real.
If you have evidence to that effect (objective scientific evidence that is), I would very much like to see it.

Since you admit it is assumption, I don't think it would be all that challenging if we did discuss it further for you to admit / realize it is faith based. If you are not willing to bring yourself to that admission right now, nor care to discuss it further, I would understand that in the way I understand others who are essentially intellectually lazy on this fairly significant point. You want your physical cake, and to eat it as well, even while that (like scientific explanations of the materialistic kind) are circular logic, based on faith, and deluded by system of thinking that arrogantly claims, it is the 'one true reality.' Hmmm, where have I heard that sort of dogmatic assertion before?

And this is where we come to an end I think.
I have little time for people who equate the scientific method with the delusions of religious faith.

Even this is debatable and has been since you've brought it up. You beat around the bush about objectivity. And not all of your 'view of reality' has been empirically supported by your experience. It is another faith based assumption being employed. Unless you wish to claim that all scientific hypotheses and theories have been tested by you. Let us be honest and say that even with knowledge of scientific research, your personal experience is quite limited, though you have faith / trust in body of work across several denominations of scientific research.

We've been over this previously.
Objectivity in the scientific context means testable measurable and repeatable observations.
Yes, I put a certain amount of trust in scientific sources, though not blindly so, and no that trust (or 'faith' if you will) is in no way equal to religious faith.
And no, I am not interested in a discussion about whether anything really is objective or not because I've done that too many times already and I am bored sick of the subject. It remind me way too much of the 'look at all the bright colours inside me' discussions often held by first year philosophy students.

That is fine. But to be clear that is not science and is clearly a bias you are displaying. My bias:

Me, I like the things you have stated plus I allow for / appreciate wide array of epistemological constructs, such as art/music, spirituality, philosophy/science.

For the record, hard evidence, testable theories and peer review are central parts of the scientific method, so yes, that is science, or at least part of it.
I tire of endless epistemological discussions, I have a strong appreciation for music, and depending on your definition of spirituality, I might even be considered a spiritual person. Science, as you know, is also something I find pleasure in, but none of the above contradicts a scientific view of reality.

Any claim of reality that purports knowledge as outside or independent of the mind is intriguing to me, but ultimately delusional and/or impractical.

Never made that claim.

Telling you that you are misrepresenting concept of Gnostic and knowing is poking holes where there are none? Who is being dishonest here? You have stated that you made error by capitalizing gnostic which is basis of OP point. You have yet to admit to error of how knowing for you means degree of certainty that belief doesn't have. I think you backed off of the "absolute certainty" claim brought up earlier, as I think it became abundantly clear to you that you were erroneous on two counts of how you arrived there. So, we are down to "degree of certainty" which given context of what OP is saying, is pertinent.

Really? We're still on that?
Look, the OP was written to make clear the difference in the various terms used. So what if I failed to completely define the word 'knowledge'?
It is irrelevant in the context of the OP.

Your claim, I think, is that knowing carries with it a degree of certainty, and that agnostics have 'no certainty' about existence of God...

Irrelevant.
Also, we've been over this.

Those percentages I'm sure are debatable, but is closest I can come to matching how you have presented the argument so far. Again, that it is in terms of degree of certainty. And where I think you may differ so far, is you haven't come to terms yet with idea that belief does carry with it a degree of certainty, while attributing degree or sense of certainty only to knowledge. That is the error you have made in logic of this thread and is where I've been poking the biggest and consistent hole thus far.

Belief indicates a degree of uncertainty.
Knowledge does not.
It's as simple as that.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I've never claimed objective evidence for it (I prefer the term evidence. Proof is not relevant in this context).
And yes, it is an assumption precisely because of that, but then again, there is no reason to think that the physical world is not real.
If you have evidence to that effect (objective scientific evidence that is), I would very much like to see it.

I have reasonable evidence for it. It fits within version of science I feel is genuine (following method), but if you are being favorable, I think you'd call it metaphysical belief and not science (or scientific method) at work.

Since you've already admitted your evidence is not objective, I will concede that mine is not either, except in the loose way that 'objectivity' is currently understood. Suffice it to say, neither of us can cite truly objective evidence, and in the court of popular opinion for what 'objectivity' passes for, you would win.

And this is where we come to an end I think.
I have little time for people who equate the scientific method with the delusions of religious faith.

That is fine. Your bias on the matter is duly noted. I'll look for you to likely avoid me given this assertion. It'll be fine. I would hope we could put the whole science thing on the side to get back to what this thread is about, but at same time, I think it will be challenging to avoid science (as concept) altogether.

We've been over this previously.
Objectivity in the scientific context means testable measurable and repeatable observations.

And other than measurable, which is assumption that need not be part of experimentation, I have responded that the methodology applies to introspection. I very much believe I don't need to spell this out for you, even while I'd be willing to. But do think you would have bias, in vein of dogma, that would not allow you to go there yourself, much less hear it from another. To be clear, the introspection experiments and conclusions are measurable, but admittedly subjectivity on measurements becomes much more visible than it does in outward sciences. They are still subjective, but not in the way I feel you are willing to look at. Nor do they need to be really scrutinized because for the most part, measurements are secondary to theories as application. Not unimportant, but less important than say "simply testable" and/or "repeatable."

Yes, I put a certain amount of trust in scientific sources, though not blindly so, and no that trust (or 'faith' if you will) is in no way equal to religious faith.

It is. It could be demonstrated to you, I believe already has. I think you have bias of what 'religion' (or spirituality) must mean, and think it is using different version of trust than one you are using. It does not. If you trust there is a physical world and trust there is sense and order in physical processes, it is likely similar. I would even argue the same, but if you don't care to discuss it with 'likes of me,' so be it.

I have a strong appreciation for music, and depending on your definition of spirituality, I might even be considered a spiritual person. Science, as you know, is also something I find pleasure in, but none of the above contradicts a scientific view of reality.

Depends. Go to another (philosophy type) forum. Present your ID as something akin to agnostic. Talk up your interests in music and your brand of spirituality. Attempt to stick to that and say, hey I don't care to get into debates about science, objectivity, beliefs, and such. Those are epistemological concerns that I get tired of easily. And report findings back here. Let me know if you are person who is seen to contradict 'nature of reality' since you think music and spirituality do have place in collective knowledge (for you) while science in a particular way is not something you are willing to discuss. I believe, nay predict, your beliefs about music and spirituality will be deemed, by some (even majority), contradictory to how science has correctly described the nature of reality.

Never made that claim.

Never said you did. Claim still stands.

Look, the OP was written to make clear the difference in the various terms used. So what if I failed to completely define the word 'knowledge'?

Hmmm, I'll end things on previous tangent here and pick up on this in next post since I think you are being intellectually dishonest and is where this thread ought to be heading.

Acim

Revelation all the time

Then I'll ask for context of OP to be brought up again here and now.

In the minds of some people there is a degree ranging from Atheist to Agnostic to Theist. On both sides of the fence, this sort of argumentation stems from a misunderstanding of what the words actually mean.

Notice: I am using the Oxford Online English Dictionary for all word definitions.

The term “Atheism” is defined as “the belief that God does not exist”. Notice the word “belief”. That means that being an Atheist does not in any way indicate knowledge about the non-existence of god.

Likewise, the term “Theism” is defined as “belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe”. That last part of the sentence is important because it represents the dividing line between a Theist and a Deist. But like in the Atheism example, the active word is “belief”, not knowledge.

The word Gnostic comes from the Greek “gnostikos” and means “to know”, and likewise the connotation “Agnostic” means “not to know”. Therefore someone who considers themselves to be a Gnostic implies that they are absolutely certain about the subject at hand, while someone who uses the term Agnostic implies that they are not certain. This leads to the conclusion that no-one is “just” an Atheist or a Theist, and similarly that no-one is just an Agnostic or a Gnostic, at least in relation to this subject.

So, to sum up, one is either an Agnostic Atheist, a Gnostic Atheist, an Agnostic Theist or a Gnostic Theist. The first word implies the certainty with which you hold your position and the second implies the position itself. It’s as simple as that.

Okay, so I've been arguing the integrity of the logic that is underlined (by me) above. And as the statement after that says, "this leads to the conclusion (for you) that no-one is “just” an Atheist or a Theist, and similarly that no-one is just an Agnostic or a Gnostic, at least in relation to this subject."

Therefore, I contend that it is highly relevant how knowledge is being defined in context of the OP.

But upon reread of OP, about 5 times now, I actually see that other than merely stating your 'conclusion' you actually have done nothing to suggest a difference between your summary point (of 4 degreed scale) and what you said in opening argument:

This short piece is written to deal with the argument stating, often quite vocally, that Atheists are just as bad as Theists who claim with certainty that there is a god. This, they assess, is because it is impossible to prove the non-existence of God, and an Atheist who made such an absolute claim would indeed be out of his or her depth. Therefore, some argue, the only viable position is to be an Agnostic.

Because you have misrepresented both knowledge and Gnostic definition / understanding, you are essentially arguing for semantical variation on degrees of agnosticism. Such that, you are the one arguing that the only viable position is to be an Agnostic, with the addendum of sub classifications, of that broader term.

Now, the gnostic and theist positions you brought up do not have bearing really on what your opening argument is stating, nor on what you are ultimately getting at. Such that, "Gnostic Theist" can be removed from the discussion, since that doesn't really need clarification. (even while you are misrepresenting Gnostic)

A Gnostic Atheist also doesn't belong, but precisely because you are misrepresenting the term. Equivalent to if you said, "let's have 4 categories, and call one of them "Christian Atheist." And by Christian I mean compassionate as that is what it really means. I think, most rational observers would say, "hey, for the sake of YOUR argument, let us just remove that from the mix, since you are profoundly confusing the issue by putting those two terms together." So, I strike to have Gnostic Atheist removed from the argument, unless you wish to back track and suddenly admit that the terms "Gnostic" and "knowing" have high relevance to overall point you are making. Me, I think it does, but to save your *** here in the short term, I assume we just leave it out.

So, that leaves us with Agnostic Theist and Agnostic Atheist. Which are both sub classifications of Agnostic. One that I strongly believe that those who argue the only viable position is Agnostic would allow for, likely do already allow for. That an Agnostic could be Agnostic Atheist and/or Agnostic Theist. And that Agnostic covers both quite nicely, succinctly.

So, congratulations! You've managed to support the position that you seemingly were arguing against. The only viable position is Agnostic. Otherwise, you are someone who knows there is a God or gods (and are absolutely certain of it) or you are someone who knows there is no God or gods (and are absolutely certain of that knowledge). Most rational atheists (a la Dawkins) do not claim to be one that is absolutely certain there is no gods, so, again, we are back to the assertion that one is really either a Believer or Agnostic.

Belief indicates a degree of uncertainty.
Knowledge does not.
It's as simple as that.

In the way you are honestly using knowledge, it does involve uncertainty. In the way you are attempting to argue, it does not. Ironically, I agree with that position, but understand that Knowledge to be based on Trust / Faith, and arguably belief. So, we either entertain that discussion, or you realize that the way you actually use knowledge in this topic, is not one of absolute certainty, nor is it proper (IMO) for you to assume Believers must use that degree of absolute certainty in matters of their faith. Anymore than it might be applicable for person with scientific knowledge to have to be locked into that absolute certainty. Such that if we have knowledge of what gravity is, this doesn't mean we have to answer to those who purport that our knowledge means we are absolutely certain about all facets of gravitational force. Or choose any branch of scientific knowledge, and let's see if you or any adherent of science is willing to say, "absolute certain must exist, otherwise it is not knowledge" and instead is more like belief (degrees of uncertainty at work).

Acim

Revelation all the time
On both sides of the fence, this sort of argumentation stems from a misunderstanding of what the words actually mean.

Dag nabbit. Just caught this at slightly deeper level than I did the first few times I read OP. My bad.

So, really, your OP is argument that stems from a misunderstanding of what the words actually mean. And you've admitted as much in subsequent posts. You misunderstand / misrepresent what Gnostic and knowing means, and therefore are able to make up classifications that are inaccurate.

So, you are back to Believer and Agnostic, within integrity of what you were arguing for; and have supported what you thought you were arguing against.

Again, I congratulate you.

:clap