• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aghori Sect

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Have a look at these guys:

Cannibals use corpses as altars and drink from human skulls | Daily Mail Online

and

Aghori - Wikipedia

Eating dead humans is a part of their religious practice. And eating human excrement is too, apparently.

Question: Would they be allowed to do what they do in your country? - and should they be allowed?

For me: I think a special exemption should be made for them - so long as they don't actually kill people to use in their rituals and use only the remains of people who have died naturally and have consented to their remains being used in such a way.

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
There's nothing where I live preventing you from making an altar out of human remains or even eating their remains, whether that's flesh or ashes, although obtaining that flesh can fall under grave desecration laws. Despite that, I lost a bidding war awhile back on a real human skull, so it's still possible to legally obtain these items through the right channels.

There are public indecency laws that would crack down on their nudity, and public disturbance laws that might go against some of their more open ceremonies. Those are, ironically, probably bigger issues.

Outside of that, the Aghori are a funerary cult, iirc, and I'm pretty sure their methods of cremation would be considered illegal. Not to be harsh, but I sort of think they should be. We have greener methods for cremation, and I know that pollution is a big part of the Aghori faith but it does subject those who don't share their beliefs to potential health hazards.

To what degree the Aghori could exist here, legally, sort of depends on what form they would take and how they would adapt to a very different cultural landscape. The last time I heard, there are Aghori that are less extreme in their practices, so they seem adaptable enough to exist here in some capacity.

I'm sorry if I get any details wrong. I was rather obsessed with the Aghori for awhile, but that was during a time that getting English resources on them was incredibly difficult. Much of what I studied might have been inaccurate or incomplete, so I apologize to anyone that might be closer to the issue for any mistakes. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Have a look at these guys:
Cannibals use corpses as altars and drink from human skulls | Daily Mail Online
and
Aghori - Wikipedia
Eating dead humans is a part of their religious practice. And eating human excrement is too, apparently.
Question: Would they be allowed to do what they do in your country? - and should they be allowed?
For me: I think a special exemption should be made for them - so long as they don't actually kill people to use in their rituals and use only the remains of people who have died naturally and have consented to their remains being used in such a way.
My answer and the Hindu answer also is the same. We let them do their thing but do not allow them to live in society. They generally will live in forests or near funeral grounds.

Then, kindly note that they may be required to do this during their training - disregards the difference between any two things including dead and living. It is the unenlightened aghories who would make it into an exhibition. A realized Aghori will not engage in this kind of showmanship. Actually the word meaning of 'A-Ghor' is one who is not violent or extremist. They have a regular philosophy of their own.

Last edited: