1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aggressive proselytizing in my neighborhood.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tumbleweed41, May 1, 2009.

1. tumbleweed41

tumbleweed41 Resident Liberal Hippie Staff Member

Yesterday I received the following letter from the principal of my daughters middle school.

I am in the process of finding what church in my neighborhood endorses this aggressive and threatening behavior towards children.

April 30, 2009

RMS Parents:

I am writing today in the interest of student safety. Recently, we have become aware of individuals who indicate they are from a local church have approached our students as they are walking to and from school. Our students have also been approached after-hours on our school grounds as well as in the neighborhood. Most recently, a 7th grade female student who was walking home on a neighborhood street was approached by one of these individuals and invited to get into a van.

Last week, representatives from our RMS team met with the leader of this church to request that they refrain from interacting with our students as they are coming and going from school. Since this request has not resulted in improvement in the situation, we feel the need to inform our parents that this activity continues and unfortunately, has escalated.

Clearly, we are most concerned about these incidents. We have engaged highly qualified assistance of our district leadership and school safety personnel as well as the Colorado Springs Police Department. We are highly concerned that, during the most recent incident, a student was invited to get into a vehicle. The reports we have received commonly involve a van, both a large van and a regular-sized van, and an SUV-style vehicle, typically with several people traveling together.

As always, we are reminding students that it is best to walk
    directly from home to school and to refrain from engaging with strangers while en route. Certainly, students should NEVER get into a vehicle with individuals they do not know or go anywhere without their parents' direct permission. These general safety guidlines are always sound advice and, particularly at this time, they remain a good safety practice.

Parents, we encourage you to discuss with your children how you wish for them to handle the situation if they should be aproached by people they do not know. We appreciate partnering with you to keep all our students safe while at scholl and on their way to and from school every day. If you should have any questions, please call me at ***-****. We are here to serve you.

Sincerely,
    J****** K*** S******
    Principal
    Russel Middle School

2. eugenius

eugenius The Truth Lies Within

very very creepy and angering

with the history the church has with child molestation and manipulation, I would have a HUGE problem with this. Preying on children is evil and unnecessary.

Disgusting behaviour.

3. J Bryson

J Bryson New Member

That's abhorrent. I can't even picture the more intense and literal Christians here agreeing with this practice. Which church is this?

4. Apex

Apex Somewhere Around Nothing

Agreed. I also would like to know who is doing this.

5. DallasApple

DallasApple Depends Upon My Mood..

I would advise ALL students to write down the liscense plates #'s..Send a memo to the STUDENTS and the PARENTS(to inform their children) to record liscense plates #'s of anyone inviting them into a car.Period.

Love

Dallas

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. DallasApple

Discuss writing down plate #'s of cars inviting children into them..Again ..write down plate #'s..

Love

Dallas

7. tumbleweed41

Yes, I have told my daughter to note plates. I Took a little tour this morning around a few churches to see about a couple of vans and an SUV. No luck yet, and the principle refuses to let me know what church they spoke too. Very frustrating.

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Misanthropic Humanist

I don't understand what the problem is. If they're associated with a church, they must be good people. I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I'd feel better knowing that they were out there because it might deter nutjobs who stalk children from tricking them into getting into vans with strangers.

Nepenthe likes this.
  9. Apex

Apex Somewhere Around Nothing

Keep bugging the principal. Eventually he will have to give you a name.

10. Trey of Diamonds

Trey of Diamonds New Member

I could see Phelps doing something like this but not many others. Sounds like a very scary situation. Best of luck and keep us posted.

11. DallasApple

There are LOTS of vans and SuV's I drive an SUV and Im not luring children into my car..Get a plate # and CALL the police..Driving around church parking lots isnt how to handle it.Get a plate # and call the police.REPORT that a stranger with this plate # tried to lure my minor child into their vehicle.If you are talking about 6th and 7th graders they are perfectly capable of nothing a liscnece plate# if you scare them bad enough and drill it in their head how important it is..That is what I would do.

Love

Dallas

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  12. themadhair

themadhair New Member

^ This. And after he coughs up a name I recommend trolling the living <profanity removed because it annoys the mods> out of them for doing this.

13. Wandered Off

Wandered Off Sporadic Driveby Member Staff Member

Religion:
    Generally a bad idea
    Might be worth contacting a local TV station to see if they'll do some investigative reporting.

14. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man.

As Dallas suggests. the local police or sheriff should be notified as well as the local news agency of whats going on. It's not so much the proselytizing as to the invitations from presumably strange adults who invite children into their van raises a serious red flag in the safety dept. It's a terrible lack of common sense and judgement on the churches part as to their methodology. -NM-

15. DallasApple

Exactly...I dont care who it is..

Love

Dallas

16. tumbleweed41

I meant looking for the van that matches a description my daughter gave me. Just to identify the church. As noted in the letter, the police are already involved. And my daughter has a notepad in her pocket today strictly for the plate numbers.

17. DallasApple

O.K and what exactly are you going to do when you find the "matching van"?What are you going to do when "you " or "if" you identify the "church"?

Sounds like the school already knows...and I assume they have forwarded the info to the police..

What is your plan Stan?

Love

Dallas

18. Watchmen

Watchmen Rorschach

Use the media to put pressure on the school to reveal the church.

19. Watchmen

Watchmen Rorschach

20. tumbleweed41

Yep, I am sending all information that I and other parents get to the Colorado Springs Independent for a larger story on this church and it's activities. it's a weekly, but has a larger readership than our conservative daily (the Gazette)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted