• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age differences

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Florence Pugh Tells Fans To Stop The "Bullying" Over Zach Braff Relationship

Not long after the picture went up, some fans criticised the pair's relationship, with some pointing to their age difference. (Pugh is 24, and Braff is 45.) Pugh turned off the commenting feature on the post.

Reminds one of Hayley Mills' marriage to an older man - she being 25 and Roy Boulting being 58 - although she has reversed this lately it seems.

No one else's business?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not difference of age that makes a relationship unhealthy, it's whether somebody's being taken advantage of by somebody else. If that's not happening, as I suspect it is not in the majority of relationships with huge age disparities, then I agree that it's nobody else's business. My father-in-law was 15 years older than my mother-in-law. They were both so sweet and nurturing to each other. (I lost my father-in-law last year. Miss him very much.)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Not long after the picture went up, some fans criticised the pair's relationship, with some pointing to their age difference. (Pugh is 24, and Braff is 45.) Pugh turned off the commenting feature on the post.

Reminds one of Hayley Mills' marriage to an older man - she being 25 and Roy Boulting being 58 - although she has reversed this lately it seems.

No one else's business?

I know nothing about these people.

But age is a random number associated with people. It means very little in the scheme of things.

If they are both adults and are happy in the relationship and there is no abuse or manipulation, then it really isn't any of my business.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No one else's business?

I would say it's no one else's business, although celebrity gossip has become a cottage industry. The people who pay attention to that nonsense and take more than just a passing interest in the private lives of famous people are definitely a problem in this society. They're the ones who keep the paparazzi employed.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Reminds me of the old joke:

A ninety year old man married a twenty five year old women. His doctor was worried and told him sex may be fatal.
"Well," said the old man, "If she dies, she dies."

Also,it's said that once 93 year George Burns was asked when did sex stop for him, he answered "About two this morning..."

PureX

Veteran Member

No one else's business?
I think that once a person has matured past the mid to late twenties, and prior to the mid to late 50s, that age disparity is of no great consequence. Otherwise, I think it does matter to some extent, and that people younger or older that this general middle age grouping should keep with their own age groups. I say this because our lives tend to track through various stages of circumstantial and intellectual/emotional significance, and significant problems become almost inevitable when we try and ignore or deny these stages.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sophie Tucker joke:

My 80 year-old boyfriend Ernie just told me that he's seeing a 20 year old girl, and said "what do you think of that, Soph?" I said to him, "Ernie, when I'm 80, I'm going to get me a 20 year old man. And let me tell you something, Ernie -- 20 goes into 80 a helluva lot more than 80 goes into 20!"

Cooky

Veteran Member
Sophie Tucker joke:

My 80 year-old boyfriend Ernie just told me that he's seeing a 20 year old girl, and said "what do you think of that, Soph?" I said to him, "Ernie, when I'm 80, I'm going to get me a 20 year old man. And let me tell you something, Ernie -- 20 goes into 80 a helluva lot more than 80 goes into 20!"

Mmmmm... That's so sweet. :boy::man:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
When you have someone in their twenties and the other in their fifties, there is a profound difference in maturity. The two are simply on two different levels. It's like a father playing chess with their child. It simply isn't equal. It just isn't.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
When you have someone in their twenties and the other in their fifties, there is a profound difference in maturity. The two are simply on two different levels. It's like a father playing chess with their child. It simply isn't equal. It just isn't.

I think you are still basing this on stereotypes, that is, that we all mature at the same rate and end up at any point with the same maturity. Not defending such age differences, since there are often many problems and issues with such, but I think you will find many examples where couples have had perfectly happy and loving relationships despite any great age difference.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I think you are still basing this on stereotypes, that is, that we all mature at the same rate and end up at any point with the same maturity. Not defending such age differences, since there are often many problems and issues with such, but I think you will find many examples where couples have had perfectly happy and loving relationships despite any great age difference.
Although sometimes stereotypes are based on nothing more than sheer us-them bias (as with racial bigotry), most stereotypes are simply noticing the top of the bell shaped curve. IOW they are stereotypes for a reason. There are exceptions, sure, but the statistically significant majority fall into the stereotypical description.

So yes, IN GENERAL, or statistically speaking, someone in their fifties is going to be way, way more mature than someone in their twenties. For one thing, when we are in our early twenties, our brains haven't even reached their adult size. The two individuals just aren't on equal terms.

Can they be happy? Sure. I know of coupes where the woman is subservient property where they are happy too. I still don't recommend it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Although sometimes stereotypes are based on nothing more than sheer us-them bias (as with racial bigotry), most stereotypes are simply noticing the top of the bell shaped curve. IOW they are stereotypes for a reason. There are exceptions, sure, but the statistically significant majority fall into the stereotypical description.

So yes, IN GENERAL, or statistically speaking, someone in their fifties is going to be way, way more mature than someone in their twenties. For one thing, when we are in our early twenties, our brains haven't even reached their adult size. The two individuals just aren't on equal terms.

Can they be happy? Sure. I know of coupes where the woman is subservient property where they are happy too. I still don't recommend it.

Well there are problems with such differences, like this happening:

Couple with 27-year age gap reported to police because of wife's baby face