• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Against abortion for any reason? What about the death penalty?

How do you feel about abortion and the death penalty?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Any of the current methods. Injection, electrocution, firing squad, gas, hanging. Maybe perhaps the introduction of the guillotine to the US as well.

I just don't think we ought to waste time and money appealing lethal injection protocols because they might not be painless enough.

That is wrong! It is is wrong to cause a painful death!

Me Myself

Back to my username
That is wrong! It is is wrong to cause a painful death!

Decapitation is not painful. It´s instantaneous.

I for one would highly prefer to be decapitated than to be killed by an injection.

Injections creep me out and the waiting would be worst psychollogical torture than the instantaneous guillotine if you ask me :S

Me Myself

Back to my username
I disagree. Causing a long and painful death is wrong.

who is talking about long and painful deads? A mosquito bite is painful and so is giving birth.

Damn, I don´t even think any of us is talkng of a method that would be more painful than childbirth, are we?

guillotine or a shot in the forehead are quick instantaneoous deads that would be cheap and not painful.

Poisonshady313

Decapitation is not painful. It´s instantaneous.

I for one would highly prefer to be decapitated than to be killed by an injection.

Injections creep me out and the waiting would be worst psychollogical torture than the instantaneous guillotine if you ask me :S

I think she was specifically responding to this line:

I just don't think we ought to waste time and money appealing lethal injection protocols because they might not be painless enough.

Erebus

Any of the current methods. Injection, electrocution, firing squad, gas, hanging. Maybe perhaps the introduction of the guillotine to the US as well.

Got to agree with your second point. As for the methods, I agree with about half of them.

The electric chair for example has always seemed to be a way of adding a little extra pain into the execution which I don't agree with myself. In my eyes the death penalty should essentially be a way of "taking out the trash" and thus efficiency is my first concern. The electric chair is more sensational than efficient and while I agree that being overly concerned about pain is a little odd, I don't think we should go out of our way to increase the pain. Again, speed and efficiency over vengeance for me ;)

That's why in firing squads, they give one shooter a blank, without letting anyone know who has it, so that anyone can feel better about it by knowing "maybe mine had the blank".

There's no reason executions have to be unpleasant for the executioner.

Never knew that, interesting way of dealing with the emotional fallout of executing somebody. I think it takes a certain personality type to cope with being an executioner in the first place, but I agree that if concern over well-being is given, it should be given to those who will be around after the execution (the executioner, the family of the condemned, the families of their victims etc)

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Got to agree with your second point. As for the methods, I agree with about half of them.

The electric chair for example has always seemed to be a way of adding a little extra pain into the execution which I don't agree with myself. In my eyes the death penalty should essentially be a way of "taking out the trash" and thus efficiency is my first concern. The electric chair is more sensational than efficient and while I agree that being overly concerned about pain is a little odd, I don't think we should go out of our way to increase the pain. Again, speed and efficiency over vengeance for me ;)

Never knew that, interesting way of dealing with the emotional fallout of executing somebody. I think it takes a certain personality type to cope with being an executioner in the first place, but I agree that if concern over well-being is given, it should be given to those who will be around after the execution (the executioner, the family of the condemned, the families of their victims etc)
It is not odd to have compassion.

Me Myself

Back to my username
You have a vengeful heart. A truly compassionate human being is opposed to causing a painful death.

Hey, the only one who wants absolute and unending uneeded eternal punishment here is mainstream Christianity´s God.

I am just saying that a little bit of pain is not that big of a deal. Most cheap methods are not that painful actually. bullets are remarkably cheap, and bullets to the head very effective.

Me Myself

Back to my username

This .

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Hey, the only one who wants absolute and unending uneeded eternal punishment here is mainstream Christianity´s God.

I am just saying that a little bit of pain is not that big of a deal. Most cheap methods are not that painful actually. bullets are remarkably cheap, and bullets to the head very effective.

You have no business dragging my religion into this. We are done.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it should depend on how the murderer committed their crime(s). If someone shot someone else in the head, then i see no reason to make it any more painful than exactly what he did.

If someone tortures then kills a person, claiming that killing them in a way that is not instantaneous is wrong is a joke as far as i'm concerned. Because there is no basis based on which you can claim that they didn't deserve it for, and there is no basis based on which you couldn't also oppose the death penalty for.

By the logic of stating that certain things are inherently wrong (such as torture) the same could be said about killing in the first place and thus the death penalty would be inherently wrong too. However, in reality i think we should aim at the most effective without any needless pain, and what i mean by needless, is unwarranted. That is, not all murderers deserve to suffer even before their death. The death itself should be the punishment.

So, either make it depending on the criminal, or make it aimed at effectiveness and avoiding extra pain, in my view.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I think it should depend on how the murderer committed their crime(s). If someone shot someone else in the head, then i see no reason to make it any more painful than exactly what he did.

If someone tortures then kills a person, claiming that killing them in a way that is not instantaneous is wrong is a joke as far as i'm concerned. Because there is no basis based on which you can claim that they didn't deserve it for, and there is no basis based on which you couldn't also oppose the death penalty for.

By the logic of stating that certain things are inherently wrong (such as torture) the same could be said about killing in the first place and thus the death penalty would be inherently wrong too. However, in reality i think we should aim at the most effective without any needless pain, and what i mean by needless, is unwarranted. That is, not all murderers deserve to suffer even before their death. The death itself should be the punishment.

So, either make it depending on the criminal, or make it aimed at effectiveness and avoiding extra pain, in my view.
Thank you for being logical.

Poisonshady313

You have a vengeful heart. A truly compassionate human being is opposed to causing a painful death.

Compassion: sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it

I have no desire to alleviate the distress of a condemned murderer.

I don't know if that makes me vengeful.

Murder is wrong. Murderers condemned to die don't deserve a pleasant fate.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Compassion: sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it

You are vengeful if you wish a painful death on someone.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

You just said that murder is wrong, but you are ok with murdering a murderer :)

It's ok, I know what you mean. But I don't see the point of causing a person suffering unless they actually learn from it.