• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Against abortion for any reason? What about the death penalty?

How do you feel about abortion and the death penalty?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poisonshady313

Getting rid of the death penalty will only mean that those flaws won't make headline news. It won't get rid of those flaws.

And, of course, it will mean that those who deserve to be put to death are permitted to live on the taxpayer's dime.

And any murderer that remains alive is a potential re-offender.

Whether we're talking about escape, murdering prison guards or potentially innocent fellow inmates (or guilty inmates whose crimes aren't serious enough to warrant death), LWOP sentences being commuted, parole being granted, conspiring with fellow inmates up for parole to murder the witnesses that would testify against him in a re-trial...

Innocent people's lives are at risk when we refuse to execute murderers.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And, of course, it will mean that those who deserve to be put to death are permitted to live on the taxpayer's dime.

And any murderer that remains alive is a potential re-offender.

Whether we're talking about escape, murdering prison guards or potentially innocent fellow inmates (or guilty inmates whose crimes aren't serious enough to warrant death), LWOP sentences being commuted, parole being granted, conspiring with fellow inmates up for parole to murder the witnesses that would testify against him in a re-trial...

Innocent people's lives are at risk when we refuse to execute murderers.

Another serious flaw that i see in being against the death penalty is that even in the cases where we're 100% sure the person is guilty, a mass murdering maniac for instance, you're still going to be against killing him and for letting him escape his punishment.

I'm talking about extreme cases, lets imagine if someone like Hitler was caught today in Europe, what is going to happen to him? He is going to spend the rest of his life in prison (which in many cases would very little time to begin with).

There is simply nothing based on which i can understand such thing. I can understand making sure that the criteria based on which a death penalty can be issued be extremely difficult to meet. Making sure that its only met when there is no chance the person is not guilty.

Opposing it outright in any case however is opposition to justice in my view.

Last edited:

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Why?

We're not talking about ending the suffering of a terminally ill cancer patient... we're talking about the death penalty.

I'm not saying it should be slow and torturous, but if there's some measure of discomfort... pain even, I'm ok with that. They've earned it.

I am sorry but I disagree. Is it not enough that they die? I just do not believe in torture or long painful deaths.

Poisonshady313

I am sorry but I disagree. Is it not enough that they die? I just do not believe in torture or long painful deaths.

I didn't say anything about torture or long painful deaths. I'm just saying, I disagree with the "quick and painless" death

They're being punished by death. There's no reason why it should be painless.

Erebus

Eh I'm pretty much pro-death. Abortion is fine up to a point (3 months or so seems adequate unless there's a severe risk to the mother) and the death penalty seems like a viable choice for those facing life imprisonment... and yes I do think it should be given as a choice in addition to as a punishment.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I didn't say anything about torture or long painful deaths. I'm just saying, I disagree with the "quick and painless" death

They're being punished by death. There's no reason why it should be painless.

I am sorry but I disagree. The fact that they are going to die should be enough. Anything more is wrong. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Poisonshady313

I am sorry but I disagree. The fact that they are going to die should be enough. Anything more is wrong. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

For whatever pain was caused to the victim and the victim's family, it's not such a terrible thing if the 15 minutes between injection and death are not entirely pleasant.

We're not putting terminally ill patients out of their misery, and we're not putting down and old dog. We're talking about the death penalty for someone who has committed murder in the first degree with one of several aggravating factors.

I'm not saying we should torture them. But we shouldn't go to any great lengths to make it entirely painless, either.

Me Myself

Back to my username

I wouldn´t kill myself, nor would I emprison myself for life, so I don´t think that is a suitable use of that quote. when we are talking about punishment, you know? It is supposed to not be something people want to experience.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

For whatever pain was caused to the victim and the victim's family, it's not such a terrible thing if the 15 minutes between injection and death are not entirely pleasant.

We're not putting terminally ill patients out of their misery, and we're not putting down and old dog. We're talking about the death penalty for someone who has committed murder in the first degree with one of several aggravating factors.

I'm not saying we should torture them. But we shouldn't go to any great lengths to make it entirely painless, either.

If we cause a painful death, we are no better than a murderer.

Erebus

Out of interest what method of execution would you recommend?

for example I personally think that a well performed decapitation would be quicker, cheaper and more efficient than lethal injection, but I think the actual aesthetic of such an act puts a lot people off.

Me Myself

Back to my username

for example I personally think that a well performed decapitation would be quicker, cheaper and more efficient than lethal injection, but I think the actual aesthetic of such an act puts a lot people off.

this actually makes sense to me.

Poisonshady313

If we cause a painful death, we are no better than a murderer.

I strongly disagree with that statement.

It's like saying "if we send someone to prison, we are no better than a kidnapper."

We're not talking about executing shoplifters or blasphemers. We're talking about executing murderers.

Their fate shouldn't be pleasant. Their death shouldn't be a seamless transition into a beautiful dream.

Erebus

this actually makes sense to me.

From a logical point of view I think it does to a lot of people ;)

It's the emotional side of people that get put off by it. Injection seems "cleaner" despite in actual fact being more prolonged and painful.

Poisonshady313

Any of the current methods. Injection, electrocution, firing squad, gas, hanging. Maybe perhaps the introduction of the guillotine to the US as well.

I just don't think we ought to waste time and money appealing lethal injection protocols because they might not be painless enough.

Poisonshady313

From a logical point of view I think it does to a lot of people ;)

It's the emotional side of people that get put off by it. Injection seems "cleaner" despite in actual fact being more prolonged and painful.

That's why in firing squads, they give one shooter a blank, without letting anyone know who has it, so that anyone can feel better about it by knowing "maybe mine had the blank".

There's no reason executions have to be unpleasant for the executioner.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I strongly disagree with that statement.

It's like saying "if we send someone to prison, we are no better than a kidnapper."

We're not talking about executing shoplifters or blasphemers. We're talking about executing murderers.

Their fate shouldn't be pleasant. Their death shouldn't be a seamless transition into a beautiful dream.

I disagree. Causing a long and painful death is wrong.