• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afterlife

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone thinks is going to happen to them after they die, and why. I have never seen sense in a rewarded afterlife as it gets in the way of today, and also I just dont believe in anything spiritual or omnipotent.

Anyways I'll shut up now, opinions and beliefs please x

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
As for what I believe in the afterlife. Only two options: 1) be with God 2) be without God

As for the reward. I think it's clearly far worse to have a Hitler and a Stalin do what they [size=-1]did and go to their end unpunished, than it is to believe in an afterlife[/size] [size=-1]where monsters like that are punished for what they did, and that[/size] [size=-1]those who lived a far better moral life are rewarded at long last (for[/size] [size=-1]many, the only significant "happiness" they ever had). [/size]In the Christian worldview, though, the scales of justice operate in the [size=-1]afterlife as well as (quite imperfectly) in human courts and in gargantuan[/size] [size=-1]conflicts like World War II where the "good guys" (all in all) managed to win.[/size] [size=-1]Hitler and Stalin do NOT "pull one over on God".[/size]

~Victor

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
What do I think?
If I'm right, but not able to connect with gnosis this time around i'll be reincarnated. If I do somehow manage to find that inner knowledge I'll just kind of go back to silence and exist without existing. Doesnt make sense... i know... but that's how I look at it.

If i'm wrong? Well, i plan on being cremated, so nothing will have to eat away at my dead lifeless corpse. Since my brain stopped working, i would cease to be, period. (however redundant that "period" statement was...)
If i'm even more wrong? If there really is a God who will send me to hell because I chose to try and live the best life possible, that's where i'll be. See you all there! *smiles*

ChrisP

Veteran Member
I believe something along the same lines as Buttons*, but I'm quite happy to wait and see. I think becoming familiar with your own true nature is probably the only way to insight in this area.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
jonmarkgo said:
I hope I just die
Don't, If you still denying God's way because there is no returning back after death to this life and you will wish to come back and worship God well but it will be too late.

standing_on_one_foot

Dunno. I have a sneaking suspicion that if an individual is a decent person during their life, things will all, somehow, work out. Or maybe we all just die. But either way, I'm not too concerned. I'm a bit preoccupied with this life, I suppose I'll handle the next when that comes up :p

jonmarkgo

Don't, If you still denying God's way because there is no returning back after death to this life and you will wish to come back and worship God well but it will be too late.

I would rather not go to an afterlife. Even if it existed. Just because heaven or wherever is supposed to be the best place ever, that doesnt mean I want to go there.

greatcalgarian

My current conscious self while I am awake will just vanish like when I fall into a dreamless sleep, and my physical body will just undergo disintegration. What I hope is left behind is my thought, my memory for those who are still alive, and that will also disappear into oblivion when they died. Hopefully whatever is generated by me during my current life can be passed on through memory or genetic propagation through my offspring, following the 'law' of evolution.

joeboonda

One chance:

9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

(King James Bible, Hebrews)

All have sinned:

3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Wages of Sin:

6:23 For the wages of sin is death;

Cure:
5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

How:

10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Anyone:

10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Not by works:

4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Assurance:

5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Free:

5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

gnostic

The Lost One
For me, I would personally prefer to have no afterlife.

The idea of reward in heaven doesn't appeal to me any more than punishment from hell. A life on earth is enough for one lifetime. So neither Christianity nor Islam appeals to me.

The idea of being punish in hell for any trivial sin would be considered injustice.

But the idea of being forgiven by either God or Jesus is just as unappealing. I don't want any forgiveness for something I've done, which I can't forgive myself.

Nor do I like the idea of reborn in one life after another. For most of us, the cycle would be endless; only someone of the Buddha's calibre can reach nirvana.

When my life, I want to end then, if my life is long or short, good or bad, then I don't care what happen afterward.

If there is a god and a heaven, then rather than beg to sample the rewards in Paradise, then I would ask for complete and utter obliteration of my soul/spirit.

Immortality - eternal youth and eternal life – is not something that interests me. Eternity mean forever, but what I do with my time. What if I have to share heaven with a person I don't like when I was living on earth? That would be torture if I have to keep a fake smile on my face towards someone who I don't like.

"No development" means "no growth". Do you lose your humanity in the afterlife? Do you lose what make you "you"? What is life if there is no development of one's self? No thanks. The afterlife not life.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
i would also prefer no afterlife and I dont believe there is one. i think living eternally is the worse type of hell imaginable, if there is no end, where is the motivation to make the most of life? I hope when I die I live on in th ememories of loved ones, and I hope my children pass on my memory and so on, thats what I believe a spirit is, it isnt a soul, but its what people remember of you. I hope to return to the ground where I was originally created from, that way I will feed the earth. I'm with gnostic completely here, if there is a god somewhere, I would beg to be destroyed.

Peace x

cardero

Citizen Mod
“Try not to view death as a vacation. It is not. When you go away to vacation, you usually go to "get away." In death, it is the opposite. Death is a way to "come back." When you go on vacation, you usually go to relax, to escape responsibility. Death, again, is just the opposite. In death, you don't escape responsibility; you "live up to it." When you die, you are already at peace, but still quite a bit must still BE accomplished.”

HELLO IT’S ME: An Interview With GOD

Chapter: Life After Death or Living Off An Angel’s Wages

Pg: 103

Atheist_Dave writes: I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone thinks is going to happen to them after they die,

I cannot speak for everyone but I will probably go back to work.

Atheist_Dave writes: and why.

Because I enjoy staying busy.

Atheist_Dave writes: I have never seen sense in a rewarded afterlife as it gets in the way of today.

I do not believe it is a valid concern in this physical existence either. Death is it's own reward.

Gabriel_Woodard

Afterlife? A good question, my viewpoint is that it doesn't really matter, once your dead you either in my view 1)cease to exist 2) go to heaven. And since these are the only two possible logical outcomes I can come up with if, 1 there isn't a god or two there is a god and all we have said about him is correct and he is truely all truth and justice.

-Gabe

Gabriel_Woodard

O yea, and the only thing that would make heaven worth it, would be the knowledge, imagine knowing everything...how we were created, why, when, how, are there others things out there. If it was just sitting in a white room in peace I would hate it but if heaven was full of cool stuff and I mean like jumping into a wormhole and riding it to the outer reaches of space then heck yea I would want to go.

-Gabe (once again)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Gabriel_Woodard said:
Afterlife? A good question, my viewpoint is that it doesn't really matter, once your dead you either in my view 1)cease to exist 2) go to heaven. And since these are the only two possible logical outcomes I can come up with
reincarnation?

maggie2

I think we are all forms of energy and that when we die our energy is simply freed from our physical body and continues on.