• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afterlife for Non-Members of your Faith?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
If you believe in an afterlife, what will it be like for people who are not part of your religion? Or for people who don't share your religious/spiritual views? Or is what happens to us after death independent of our beliefs or affiliations?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In Judaism it is rare to hear about what happens to non-Jews when they die. We usually speak about our own. However there is the concept of the righteous of other nations who have a portion in the future world to come.

Muffled

Jesus in me
If you believe in an afterlife, what will it be like for people who are not part of your religion? Or for people who don't share your religious/spiritual views? Or is what happens to us after death independent of our beliefs or affiliations?

I believe currently people are quickly re-incarnated according to God's judgment.

muhammad_isa

If you believe in an afterlife, what will it be like for people who are not part of your religion? Or for people who don't share your religious/spiritual views?
It is all about sincerity.
What happens to us all, is dependent on our actions and the intention behind them.

..and Almighty God is aware of who is sincere, and who is not.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
In my religion what you believe or don't believe in is not much of a factor when it comes to what happens to you next, after you die

However, how you behave towards others counts for a lot

Also, we take it in turns to be fortunate and unfortunate so if you are super rich in this life you will most likely be dirt poor in your next life and the other way round too!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In my belief, reincarnation in some form is on its way for all, not merely those who share in my faith tradition.

The only exception would be those who found moksha/liberation/enlightenment... but that's not a phenomenon for people in my religion alone, but is open to any or all.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I don't believe in an afterlife but i do believe in an after death.

A scientific approach, once the spark of life is gone and brain death occurs you are dead. Whether you are burned or buried it doesn't matter, the first law of thermodynamics shows us the atoms that make you are recycled. Bits of you could end up as air people breathe, a blade of grass, a tin of cat food, a pregnant woman's food craving to be digested and absorbed by her fetus . In this way we are all, to some extent, made of dead people.

It goes on from there. Billions of years from now when our planet and solar system are long gone your atoms will still exist to maybe help ignite a new sun that shines lifegiving warmth on a new planet and species.

Science gives us the ultimate reincarnation.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I don't believe in an afterlife but i do believe in an after death.

A scientific approach, once the spark of life is gone and brain death occurs you are dead. Whether you are burned or buried it doesn't matter, the first law of thermodynamics shows us the atoms that make you are recycled. Bits of you could end up as air people breathe, a blade of grass, a tin of cat food, a pregnant woman's food craving to be digested and absorbed by her fetus . In this way we are all, to some extent, made of dead people.

It goes on from there. Billions of years from now when our planet and solar system are long gone your atoms will still exist to maybe help ignite a new sun that shines lifegiving warmth on a new planet and species.

Science gives us the ultimate reincarnation.
That sounds horrible and bleak

But yes, it being horrible and bleak has nothing to do with how true or untrue it is :D

King Phenomenon

Existence rises and falls with the birth and death of a man in a repeating cycle.

Viker

Häxan
The only negative is they may get caught/lost in the in betweens, without proper guidance that can be found in many other traditions like in Buddhism for instance. Worst case scenario, they may go completely insane or slightly worse...in service to a hostile slaver entity we call worms (but Hell? this is not that terrible I think). Mostly, anyone can move on to the next phase of existence without a hitch, you just don't get to join the Pantheon as an equal and you don't get to choose anything that comes next...no real problem there if you are at peace with this.

Death is nearly final for all that is in a current material form. Existence is infinite. The universe is like an inconceivably large recycling plant. Stars, planets, galaxies, entities, gods, all individual pieces have a shelf life. But something still exists. They either go with the program, choose their fates like a god or go bat **** crazy in the process getting lost then dying out like everything else and reformed into other things. You, yes you, may have the stuff to spark into formation a new sun one day!

Actually, I can see why others might liken some of this to that mythical old school Hell of lore. Chaos is a better term.:p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

But yes, it being horrible and bleak has nothing to do with how true or untrue it is :D

I think it sounds a pretty perfect way to continue the universe

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It is all about sincerity.
What happens to us all, is dependent on our actions and the intention behind them.

..and Almighty God is aware of who is sincere, and who is not.

What happens in the afterlife to people who are sincere vs. those who are not?

Is any kind of sincerity acceptable? If I'm sincerely an atheist, does that change my afterlife?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Interesting. I don't find it horrible or bleak. I find it to include us as part of the universe: a larger whole to which we all belong. After we die, we recycle and can be parts of other aspects of this universe.

I find that centering.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
In my religion what you believe or don't believe in is not much of a factor when it comes to what happens to you next, after you die

However, how you behave towards others counts for a lot

Also, we take it in turns to be fortunate and unfortunate so if you are super rich in this life you will most likely be dirt poor in your next life and the other way round too!

How does our behavior change what happens after we die? And what does happen?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I find the thinking about 'afterlife' means to be more alive after death than before death. Not a Bible teaching.
The Bible teaches: Resurrection. A future resurrection for both righteous and unrighteous people - Acts of the Apostles 24:15.
So, what happens to us at death and after death is: sleep
Both Jesus and the OT both teach ' sleep ' in death - unconscious sleep - Ecclesiastes 9:5
See also Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; John 11:11-14
The dead sleep til 'Resurrection Day' meaning Jesus' coming 'Millennium-Long Day' of governing over Earth.
Then, the righteous are to keep on remaining righteous and the un-righteous to choose to become righteous.
Those who prove themselves to be 'wicked' will be 'destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22