• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After doing social service, do you want reward from God ?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Then why NOT we name it as selfless-service ?
I don't come up with the words, I just use 'em. :D
Social service is done for others, not to seek merit.

Emperor Wu: "I have built many temples, copied innumerable Sutras and ordained many monks since becoming Emperor. Therefore, I ask you, what is my merit?"

Bodhidharma: "None whatsoever."

Emperor Wu: "Why no merit?"

Bodhidharma:: "Doing things for merit has an impure motive and will only bare the puny fruit of rebirth."

chinu

chinu
I think a Will usually covers such. No idea when I will die but that hardly matters.
Property belongs to nature and will go back to nature by whatever way nature like to take it back. It was just given to you to use for some time. Who are you to make will of property that belongs to nature?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Of course, doing social service is good thing, but, you as a believer want some kind of reward from God after doing that social service ?

If no, its your greatness.

But, if yes, then why ? or because you think God himself isn't capable of doing such a little thing that you did ?

As a non believer i expect no reward other than the feeling of a job that needed doing being done.

MNoBody

in that system of behaviorism, the rewards are the carrot
and then there is the stick, which is not spoken about.
thee dogs have learned to fear the stick and will coerce the other dogs in the pack to avoid it and anything leading to it.
basic pavlovian social engineering.
monkey.jpg

Eyes to See

When you give of your time and energy to help others you are receiving more than they are already! There is a truism in the Bible that states "there is more happiness in giving than in receiving."

One of the best ways to cure depression, and other emotional problems is to put other people first, help them!

This world teaches you to look out for number one, to be selfish. And that makes for a very depressing existence. It's not the way we were created to be.

Giving of your time and energy helping others gives you satisfaction and joy.

Since God is the greatest giver of all he is also the most joyful person in existence. That is why the Bible says that Jehovah is the "happy God."-1 Timothy 1:11.

Some people just do things, such as donate their time, money, and/or resources to get attention. They may broadcast what they do far and wide. Jesus on the other hand said:

"So when you make gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3 But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your gifts of mercy may be in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you."-Matthew 6:2-4.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
For example ?
When you work with child services, people hate you because you take away people's kid, allegedlyover wrong reasons. Working for mental health you get to hear all about people telling you their opinions and beliefs are how things are and how unneeded you are because it's all in the head (this does get some balancing with people recognizing the necessity and effort required of such jobs). You often work over 12 hours a day. You have to write about everything you did with a client. And when I did it (bachelor's level) I was still below the poverty line while I was required to be on call 24/7. Now I drive people around and make way more, have lots of fun and have little stress, and except for cleaning my car I bring nothing home when I'm done for the day with field and office work.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Property belongs to nature and will go back to nature by whatever way nature like to take it back. It was just given to you to use for some time. Who are you to make will of property that belongs to nature?
This makes no sense. Nothing to do with property but more about value to give to others, as in money that might do some good. Hardly matters how I come to have such. I could just waste it all before I die on some extravagance.

PS You do know what a Will is?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course, doing social serv ice is good thing, but, you as a believer want some kind of reward from God after doing that social service ?
I can't speak as a believer, so clearly, no.
I don't personally equate decency, respect and inclusiveness with greatness.
But, if yes, then why ? or because you think God himself isn't capable of doing such a little thing that you did ?
The evidence of the world screams at us all that if there's a god, or God,[he] either can't or won't do what needs to be done. [He] neither says nor does, ever, [he] lets rogues prosper and decent folk suffer, and the world behaves exactly as if [he] existed only as a concept / thing imagined in individual brains.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In non-Covid times, I volunteer as what could best be described as a Sunday school teacher out at the Salt Lake Metro Jail. It has absolutely been one of the most satisfying, fulfilling experiences of my life. Seeing how happy they are to see us each Sunday, and watching them change and grow is all the reward I'll ever need.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Of course, doing social service is good thing, but, you as a believer want some kind of reward from God after doing that social service ?

God works through us. But we are human, and as such we desire reward for our actions. As well we should. "A worker deserves his wages." Yet the cheapskates who run many vokunteer services seldom even offer a small stipend or room and board. Recognition is also nice too.

As you can see, I'm no fan of altruism. The people advocating as a virtue would appear also to think servers in restaurants or maids in hotels are actually servants and don't deserve their tips.

chinu

chinu
God works through us. But we are human, and as such we desire reward for our actions. As well we should. "A worker deserves his wages." Yet the cheapskates who run many vokunteer services seldom even offer a small stipend or room and board. Recognition is also nice too.

As you can see, I'm no fan of altruism. The people advocating as a virtue would appear also to think servers in restaurants or maids in hotels are actually servants and don't deserve their tips.
Thank you for your honest reply. :)