• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After almost 16 months of unemployment... a job

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Dhanyavāda Bhagavatī Lakshmī, dhanyavāda. Thank you Goddess Lakshmi, thank you. :)

It's the furthest thing from my previous field, which was IT Sys Admin but after 40 years in Data Processing, MIS. IS, IT as it's been called through the years, I'm tired of it, and not prepared mentally or financially to fully retire. After losing my job due to covid last year, and almost 16 months of unemployment, I'm doing something else.

I worked in Macy*s about 20 years ago as a part time sales associate. It was a second job. To be honest, I hated it then. We were treated like crap by customers and managers. The store had conflicting policies that let customers get away with murder regarding sales, returns, coupons, discounts, rewards, etc. When we gave in to customer demands, we were chastised by the managers for breaking the rules. When we adhered to the rules and the customers complained that we were uncooperative, the managers threw us under the bus. It was horrible.

So what's different now? Everything. The economic climate, the Us v. It (It being covid), people struggling day to day. I think people see now there's more serious things in life than screaming to use an expired coupon. The store has relaxed their dress code. Business casual is the norm. Before I went I asked what the dress code is, told it's business casual, no tie necessary. So I went for my interview in an open collar dress shirt, dress slacks, no tie or jacket. The hiring manager looked at me and said "that's perfect". I hate wearing a tie anyway. :D I get to wear all my dress shirts and dress slacks. We had a good interview, mostly talking about the people we knew back in the day, and "old times". My experience was of least concern... she was probably more interested in my personality. Paraphrasing Bob Seger "I was turning on the charm.. long enough to get me hired... I'm still the same... I still aim high". :facepalm: :D

The hourly rate is better than other stores are paying. I'm not signing on officially as full time but I can schedule full time hours. I should be getting the offering email in a day or so, I just have to turn it around and start the paperwork. I'm gong to own this. Hey, who knows.. I could work my way to manager. I have management, customer service and retail experience... and maturity (really, I do! :D ). I'm pretty excited, really. Especially about doing something new.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Congratulations at finding what sounds like a really good job now.
So I went for my interview in an open collar dress shirt, dress slacks, no tie or jacket. The hiring manager looked at me and said "that's perfect".

The advice about getting a job includes matching the dress code (or being just a wee bit more conservative). What you did in asking about the dress code and then taking the advice was a very very smart thing to do.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Awesome! I'm super happy for you. The other thing that has changed is you, of course. You're bringing a different perspective. Hopefully we are ALL examining our perspective these days.

Congrats!!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Congratulations at finding what sounds like a really good job now.

The advice about getting a job includes matching the dress code (or being just a wee bit more conservative). What you did in asking about the dress code and then taking the advice was a very very smart thing to do.

Thanks.

If I didn't know what it was, or didn't get a definitive answer, I would err on the side of caution and go in business dress... jacket and tie. In fact, I did the first time. I didn't get to see anyone that time, it turned out to doing an electronic application. I wore a white shirt and tie just in case.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Awesome! I'm super happy for you. The other thing that has changed is you, of course. You're bringing a different perspective. Hopefully we are ALL examining our perspective these days.

Congrats!!

Thanks.

You hit the nail on the head... my different perspective. My "real boss", my best friend I worked with for over 30 years used to tell people that I forgot more than he ever knew. But when he left and I worked for this horrid creature for the last four years, I found out that despite what he and others said about me (they need you, you'll never be on a cut list) I found out apparently that isn't true. I'm mortal and bleed just like everyone else.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Happy to hear about that, Jai. Accept a full-time job, money is important, now that Mother Lakshmi has smiled at you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Congrats!

Mrs Revolt was off for over half a year before she
found a job in her field. Searching for work was itself
a full time job.
Alas, the company turned out to be a **** show.
She's in negotiation with a much better company
where a friend works, & highly recommends it.
I don't envy her.
May your new job be enjoyable & lucrative.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Happy to hear about that, Jai. Accept a full-time job, money is important, now that Mother Lakshmi has smiled at you.

She did indeed. She’s been helping me all this time. Every time I thought it was the worst financial time, something happened to pull me out. Some payment or deposit I didn’t expect appeared from somewhere. I always thank Her and apologized for despairing and seeming to not have faith or trust. I was honest, said I was scared, and couldn’t expect or assume She or They would keep bailing me out.

I also did a mantra to Lord Hanuman for getting a job. It worked 5 years ago when I was supposed to be laid off in an outsourcing. I did the mantra 11 times each day. Suddenly my company said they needed me and don’t take any other job offers. I did it when I hoped I’d go back to work, but it didn’t work. I said I understood that They know best. I think I needed to learn some things. This time it only took a week, but I’ll continue in thanks.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Congratulations on your new job. I hope it brings fulfillment in your career needs. My mom worked at Macy's stores all over the US for much of her life, so Macy's was part of my life for much of it, as well.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Congrats!

Mrs Revolt was off for over half a year before she
found a job in her field. Searching for work was itself
a full time job.
Alas, the company turned out to be a **** show.
She's in negotiation with a much better company
where a friend works, & highly recommends it.
I don't envy her.
May your new job be enjoyable & lucrative.

Thanks. I hope it works out for Mrs. Revolt. I know about being sold a bill of goods about a job. It happened twice. One time the job lasted 8 weeks before I packed my briefcase and walked out, having left a letter for the vp telling him what a **** show the job was. My boss and his boss were always feuding, giving me contradictory direction then chastising me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Congratulations on your new job. I hope it brings fulfillment in your career needs. My mom worked at Macy's stores all over the US for much of her life, so Macy's was part of my life for much of it, as well.

Thanks. :) It’s really a good company. They were one of the first to be welcoming of LGBTQ+ persons. There were at least three or four of us gay guys in the men’s dept. One of our female coworkers quipped that it was like working in a kennel hear us all going “woof” when we saw a hot guy. The other joke was the alternate name for the store was Gaycy*s. :D But it’s more than just that in the company’s favor. I hope I can make enough of an impression that when there’s an opening for manager I have a shot.

For years I bought only their Club Room line of dress shirts. They’re 100% cotton and well made. They did decline in quality for a while (read: the buyers got stupid) but now the quality is back. In fact, I wore one yesterday.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks. I hope it works out for Mrs. Revolt. I know about being sold a bill of goods about a job. It happened twice. One time the job lasted 8 weeks before I packed my briefcase and walked out, having left a letter for the vp telling him what a **** show the job was. My boss and his boss were always feuding, giving me contradictory direction then chastising me.
Mrs Revolt burns no bridges.
She'll give them constructive advice

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
@Jainarayan, hearty congratulations and wish you tremendous success in your new assignment. Also I take some liberty in wishing you back your former job as system analyst real soon (just because of the pay).