• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

African land grab.

dust1n

Zindīq
"We turned off the main road to Awassa, talked our way past security guards and drove a mile across empty land before we found what will soon be Ethiopia's largest greenhouse. Nestling below an escarpment of the Rift Valley, the development is far from finished, but the plastic and steel structure already stretches over 20 hectares – the size of 20 football pitches.

The farm manager shows us millions of tomatoes, peppers and other vegetables being grown in 500m rows in computer controlled conditions. Spanish engineers are building the steel structure, Dutch technology minimises water use from two bore-holes and 1,000 women pick and pack 50 tonnes of food a day. Within 24 hours, it has been driven 200 miles to Addis Ababa and flown 1,000 miles to the shops and restaurants of Dubai, Jeddah and elsewhere in the Middle East.

Ethiopia is one of the hungriest countries in the world with more than 13 million people needing food aid, but paradoxically the government is offering at least 3m hectares of its most fertile land to rich countries and some of the world's most wealthy individuals to export food for their own populations.

The 1,000 hectares of land which contain the Awassa greenhouses are leased for 99 years to a Saudi billionaire businessman, Ethiopian-born Sheikh Mohammed al-Amoudi, one of the 50 richest men in the world. His Saudi Star company plans to spend up to $2bn acquiring and developing 500,000 hectares of land in Ethiopia in the next few years. So far, it has bought four farms and is already growing wheat, rice, vegetables and flowers for the Saudi market. It expects eventually to employ more than 10,000 people.

But Ethiopia is only one of 20 or more African countries where land is being bought or leased for intensive agriculture on an immense scale in what may be the greatest change of ownership since the colonial era..."

How food and water are driving a 21st-century African land grab | Environment | The Observer

dust1n

Zindīq
actually, i would like to learn more

So much information about it: Basically, Africa's governments are selling land to foreign investors (Western, Eastern, and Middle-Eastern) for the production of food. Basically every country in Africa is impoverished, and a lot of the land deals end up giving the elite of Africa millions of dollars, while giving land that actual African farmers could use to feed themselves to foreigners who plan to grow food and sell on the global market. This kind of privatization does NOT help each country to it's fullest potential. They provide jobs for African's, but if the company does not produce and sell (due to drought or lack of foreign demand, the workers are back down to nothing). Kenya was the biggest producer, but is now losing bids to Ethiopia, because of cheaper costs and more fertile land. Mass farming generally leads to the depletion of ground water in areas (as well as the consumption of entire bodies of water), which leads to devastating effects on the environment.

Plenty of info here:

International Land Deals in Africa

Last edited:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Okay I may be mistaken. Forgive me if I am. Just a few years ago, wasn't Ethiopia broke and starving? Now they have food and money and this is bad?

dust1n

Zindīq
Okay I may be mistaken. Forgive me if I am. Just a few years ago, wasn't Ethiopia broke and starving? Now they have food and money and this is bad?

Ethiopia is still broke and starving...

The ones who benefit from these deals are the elites, mainly because they are selling the goods to foreign countries while their own children starve to death.

"There are two ways to be rich or super rich in Ethiopia: 1) Be a member of the Tigrean People Liberation Front (Woyanne); or 2) Be a Woyanne butt-kisser. There is no other way. The photos below show how one of these super rich individuals, the owner of Sunshine Construction, lives in Addis Ababa. It is to preserve and expand this ill-gotten wealth that Woyanne will fight tooth and nail to stay in power as long as it can no matter the cost to the people of Ethiopia. It is a good thing to be rich, but not through cruel exploitation and subjugation of other people."

-Ethiopian Review, March 7th, 2008.

Let's compare - The benefactors of these land deals in Africa.

sunshine_11.jpg

sunshine_09.jpg

Now the poor that still exist -

3.jpg

1.jpg