• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

African diaspora religions

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Does anyone know anything about the following religions?:

Batuque
Candomblé
Kumina
Macumba
Mami Wata
Obeah
Oyotunji
Quimbanda
Santería
Umbanda
Vodou

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Actually a bit, for someone who doesn't live further south. I have been to Vodou fetes, and am working under a Tata in Kimbanda, and in this context I have done certain ceremonies. But I am just a baby in this knowledge, and many details will have to be omitted to any questions regarding my personal experiences. I have plenty of book knowledge though. There is book knowledge and there is real knowledge, and in these traditions it is definitely the case. Once you get to know people involved in a real house, you can throw the book knowledge into the bin. Now, what exactly is it you want to know?

All of the traditions you just listed are primarily survivals of Yoruba, Fon, or Kongo tribal traditions which have been elaborated upon in their land of origin. For instance in Brazil Candomble and Batuque are pretty much the same name for things which developed in different regions, but then the pai's and mai's-de-santo started traveling and mixing further and learning new techniques. These two traditions are primarily Yoruba in origin but there are also lines in Candomble called Candomble Jeje in which Fon Vodouns are worshiped (like in Haiti primarily) instead of Yoruban Orisha (like in Ocha/Santeria in Cuba) and the same is true of Batuque. And there is Candomble Angola in which the Kongo Nkisi are honored. Also there is Umbanda, which is essentially Kardecian Spiritism merged with Candomble. Quimbanda is the other side of this coin and a complex subject, although it can be said to be a survival of Macumba. There aren't really pure "Macumbieros" around nowadays, and it's mainly a term used to refer to other distinct traditions pejoratively. In Umbanda and Quimbanda a lot of use is made of Cabocolos (spirits of native american origin), Ciganas (dead gypsy witches from Portugal), Exus (complex story), and Pomba Giras (dead prostitutes and other witches from Europe). So calling it an African Diaspora religion is kind of curious, but there is no doubt the methodology in the case of Quimbanda is a descendant of pure Kongo sorcery.

Last edited:

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Are they truly polytheistic or is there one "High God" above these spirits? Do the listed traditions differ greatly from each other? Are the spirits usually associated with Catholic saints? Did they have human founders? Are any of them "left hand paths"? How many practitioners are there of these faiths and where are they located?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
The book i qouted in your other thread about african myths said usualy they have one high god...

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Since you ask about so many religions you might find The Worlds Wisdoms: Sacred texts of the worlds religions... usefull that other book in sourced in your thread is a childrens book but helpfull none the less... idk i just buy books from the libary for ten cents.
use google to find some good books

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Are they truly polytheistic or is there one "High God" above these spirits? Do the listed traditions differ greatly from each other? Are the spirits usually associated with Catholic saints? Did they have human founders? Are any of them "left hand paths"? How many practitioners are there of these faiths and where are they located?

Usually the latter. But they are considered so far from humanity they are rarely spoken of or prayed to directly.
Yes. To varying degrees.
Sometimes. And the typical "syncretic" view belies a complex relationship between the Saint and the (Orisha/Vodou/Nkisi) where each have their own independent agency yet share some signifiers, including an image.
Indeed, it's all about lineage.
That's a complex issue. Some would call both Quimbanda and Palo "left handed".
It would be difficult to say since a majority wouldn't admit their association.

Do any of you know of any good books or websites which are good sources for these religions?

Tell me what you want to know and why and I can give you some recommendations.

Last edited: