• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghanistan's president flees the country as Taliban moves to take Kabul

We Never Know

No Slack
KABUL — Afghanistan's president fled the country on Sunday as Taliban fighters in Kabul and the group reached the brink of taking political power. Twenty years after toppling the militant regime, the United States rushed to exit the country after the loss of thousands of American lives and billions of dollars failed to bring lasting democracy to the nation.

President Ashraf Ghani's departure — and the hurried evacuation of all personnel from the American embassy — followed a lightning-fast Taliban offensive across the country that brought an embarrassing end to the U.S. military presence after two decades.

https://www-nbcnews-com.cdn.ampproj...abul-u-s-evacuation-efforts-continue-n1276855

Suave

Simulated character
KABUL — Afghanistan's president fled the country on Sunday as Taliban fighters in Kabul and the group reached the brink of taking political power. Twenty years after toppling the militant regime, the United States rushed to exit the country after the loss of thousands of American lives and billions of dollars failed to bring lasting democracy to the nation.

President Ashraf Ghani's departure — and the hurried evacuation of all personnel from the American embassy — followed a lightning-fast Taliban offensive across the country that brought an embarrassing end to the U.S. military presence after two decades.

https://www-nbcnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1276855?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw==#aoh=16290562170355&csi=1&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/taliban-enters-kabul-u-s-evacuation-efforts-continue-n1276855

The Taliban victory happened much sooner than I anticipated, I was hoping there'd be time in order for the U.S. military to evacuate the 70,000 or so Afghan persons who aided N.A.T.O. troops . I fear many N.A.T.O. collaborators left behind in Afghanistan might be tortured and killed by the Taliban.

Jeremiah Ames

https://www-nbcnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1276855?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw==#aoh=16290562170355&csi=1&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/taliban-enters-kabul-u-s-evacuation-efforts-continue-n1276855

You are always providing us with relevant and interesting stories.

I appreciate your efforts, WNK.

Nimos

Yeah its a country in complete collapse, however couldn't help notice this:

From 8. July

"Just one more year of fighting in Afghanistan is not a solution," Mr Biden said in a White House speech, "but a recipe for fighting there indefinitely."

He also denied that a Taliban takeover is "inevitable," saying that the Taliban force of approximately 75,000 fighters is no match for the 300,000 Afghan security forces.

16. August and the army is completely vanished and Taliban got all the weapons we have given them the last 20 years. Perfect!! :(

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah its a country in complete collapse, however couldn't help notice this:

From 8. July

"Just one more year of fighting in Afghanistan is not a solution," Mr Biden said in a White House speech, "but a recipe for fighting there indefinitely."

He also denied that a Taliban takeover is "inevitable," saying that the Taliban force of approximately 75,000 fighters is no match for the 300,000 Afghan security forces.

16. August and the army is completely vanished and Taliban got all the weapons we have given them the last 20 years. Perfect!! :(

After 20 years, with the loss of over 2,000 americans, the loss of over 40,000 civilians, and costing over a trillion dollars....

Its all undone in a matter if weeks.

Nimos

After 20 years, with the loss of over 2,000 americans, the loss of over 40,000 civilians, and costing over a trillion dollars....

Its all undone in a matter if weeks.
Yeah, think that is why I could never be a soldier. I wouldn't be able to simply see it as a job, risking my life for something which seems to be nothing but a big political game played by people in suits.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah, think that is why I could never be a soldier. I wouldn't be able to simply see it as a job, risking my life for something which seems to be nothing but a big political game played by people in suits.

Most all wars are political games but hey they create a lot of jobs. Many jobs rely on war.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's often a dress.
5f5a45fea256b26baec851d63e93cbae

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Most all wars are political games but hey they create a lot of jobs.
This is a myth.
All that tax money spent on wages, bombs, junkets, etc, etc
was taken from taxpayers who would've spent it on something
else. That something else would've meant jobs.
War is destruction. Unless we collect booty from people we
conquer, it's all a total loss. Soldiers return either in body bags
or worse for wear. Spendy materiel is abandoned, destroyed,
or given away.

We Never Know

No Slack

This is a myth.
All that tax money spent on wages, bombs, junkets, etc, etc
was taken from taxpayers who would've spent it on something
else. That something else would've meant jobs.
War is destruction. Unless we collect booty from people we
conquer, it's all a total loss. Soldiers return either in body bags
or worse for wear. Spendy materiel is abandoned, destroyed,
or given away.

Its no myth. They do create jobs. I read somewhere once that every billion spent from the military creates 12,000 jobs but would create more jobs if spent on other things.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Its no myth. They do create jobs. I read somewhere once that every billion spent from the military creates 12,000 jobs but would create more jobs if spent on other things.
You said that if spent on other things it would create more jobs.
Since that didn't happen, the lower amount (12,000) was created.
This is a net loss picking the war alternative.

And then there are the soldiers & civilians killed & maimed.
It makes no sense that we economically better off by hiring
people to make things that do nothing but kill other people.
And for people to do the killing. What do we have to show
for it?
All that money & labor towards death & destruction...nothing
useful like food, housing, cars, TVs, clothing, etc.

We Never Know

No Slack

for it?

Bottom line is wars do create jobs. I never said they create more or less.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bottom line is wars do create jobs. I never said they create more or less.
How?
If money is removed from the civilian economy, this is a loss.
Why is it more productive to spend it in ways that kill our own
people, & create goods that are destroyed?
And then there's the immorality of killing people & destroying
property in the country we attack. This is heinous rationalization.

This reminds me of the old economist joke that government
hire people to break everyone's windows. Jobs would blossom
in the window repair business. So I'd be money ahead paying
taxes to destroy my windows, & paying repairmen to fix them.
Bonkers.

We Never Know

No Slack

for it?
If we quit producing planes, ships, guns, missiles, ammo, electronics, explosives, armor, clothes, food etc to use in wars or to sell to others countries that have wars, I would think a lot more than 12,000 jobs would be lost.

We Never Know

No Slack
How?
If money is removed from the civilian economy, this is a loss.
Why is it more productive to spend it in ways that kill our own
people, & create goods that are destroyed?

This reminds me of the old economist joke that government
hire people to break everyone's windows. Jobs would blossom
in the window repair business. So I'd be money ahead paying
taxes to destroy my windows, & paying repairmen to fix them.
Bonkers.

See my post #17

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If we quit producing planes, ships, guns, missiles, ammo, electronics, explosives, armor, clothes, food etc to use in wars or to sell to others countries that have wars, I would think a lot more than 12,000 jobs would be lost.
The money would be available to taxpayers to spend on other things.

A way to better understand it is to stop thinking in terms dollars.
What do you get for the massive effort put into war?
You can't live in tanks or planes. You can't eat bullets.
You get nothing useful for all that effort & raw material.
The work is wasted. And what of the people who are
killed or maimed. Those jobs are lost.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
See my post #17
#17 is dangerous rationalization for more war.
Alas, too many people buy into it, & vote for hawks
thinking that we're better off by having a huge military
that goes around the world killing people, destroying
property, killing our own people, & afflicting them with
lost limbs & damaged minds.