• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

afghanistan

almifkhar

here's one on a war that we really don't hear much about
www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-afghan-burning.html

there was another article i was going to share but it was from oct.2005. it was about how the wako millitants got major seets in the afghan government. now i was under the understanding that the main goal of the u.s. led invasion into this country was to get rid of the wako millitants who are friendly with al quedia. why would they allow yet another group of wako millitants into the government whos only real difference is the name of their group? i am also courious as to why this war is not being covered like the iraq war. its as if this overt war has turned into a covert war. another thing, why is it that our military is acting like a bunch of sick manics?

Fluffy

A fool
Okay. I read it. Boo freakin hoo. What's your point?
Crimes should be treated and reacted to in the same way no matter who the victim and agressor is otherwise you might as well throw justice out of the window.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Fluffy said:
Crimes should be treated and reacted to in the same way no matter who the victim and agressor is otherwise you might as well throw justice out of the window.
I agree. There is no crime here.

Solon

As far as I'm aware. the Afghan war has failed in its objectives, as the Taliban are still alive and kicking. Opium production is soaring with record harvests of Poppy. And there's no oil pipeline from the Caspian sea to Pakistan. The counrty is a wreck, and hinterland ruled by various warlords, and in some parts, a resurgent Taliban. So, you could rightfully ask, what has it really achieved ?

almifkhar

the only thing this war has achieved thus far is murder and mayeham. and thank you solon and fluffy for seeing the problem.

i will admit that i was never once in favor of this war because i saw no justification for it. what suprises me is that people here in the states are still gun ho for it yet are not in any way alarmed that this government has done nothing it set out to do in the first place. i am alarmed that there are few stories on this conflict. if anything we have done more damage and created more tyrants there and very few dare to speak up and ask questions.

eewerd, enlighten me please, you are in favor of our troops acting like sick manics? how come?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Fluffy said:
That is, of course, a matter of opinion, however it disagrees with the judgement reached by your country.
Incorrect. They were reprimanded for using poor judgement, not for breaking any law. It is not opinion, as burning dead bodies for hygenic purposes is something that has been done for centuries. Using the event as an opportunity to launch some psychological warfare, is bad judgement, but not against the UCMJ.

Fluffy

A fool
the only thing this war has achieved thus far is murder and mayeham. and thank you solon and fluffy for seeing the problem.
Well I wouldn't go so far as to say I condemn this war. However, I am able to feel some sympathy and compassion for those who have been mistreated by the occupying force and simply cannot comprehend the lack of a similar response in others.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Solon said:
The counrty is a wreck, and hinterland ruled by various warlords, and in some parts, a resurgent Taliban.
I don't supposed you have any proof of these accusations, do you? Are you stating that the country was better off under the complete control of the Taliban? Are you saying that free and open elections, even when they elect someone with whom you and I may not agree, are not a step in the right direction? Can you point out for me where the Taliban has become "resurgent"? I doubt that you can do any of things, because all statements such as yours and al's are meant to do, is not point out substantiated facts, but insight dissent for no other reason than becuase you yourself are in dissent and you want more people to hang out with. I know, and I understand. It can get pretty lonely out there in the extreme frills of society.

Solon

EEWRED said:
I don't supposed you have any proof of these accusations, do you? Are you stating that the country was better off under the complete control of the Taliban? Are you saying that free and open elections, even when they elect someone with whom you and I may not agree, are not a step in the right direction? Can you point out for me where the Taliban has become "resurgent"? I doubt that you can do any of things, because all statements such as yours and al's are meant to do, is not point out substantiated facts, but insight dissent for no other reason than becuase you yourself are in dissent and you want more people to hang out with. I know, and I understand. It can get pretty lonely out there in the extreme frills of society.
Are you for real man ? Tony Blair stated that one the prime motives for invading Afghanistan was to end the or at least seriously disrupt the Heroin trade at source. LOL, Since this time, Poppy harvests have reached new records, and besides that fact, the Taliban already had huge quantities stored in warehouses, you think that the heroin trade has been dented. You think law and order and democracy exist outside Kabul? man wake up...and I think you meant ' fringe' I don't believe I've ever belonged the frills of society.

http://www.jamestown.org/terrorism/news/article.php?articleid=2369093

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2005/11/3b91b55d-7e9e-41d0-bf87-2b8b23609c0e.html

almifkhar

eewerd bush also said that he wanted the warlords out of there for a "democratic" afghan, yet guess who got most of the government seats? warlords who go by a name other than taliban. you will find this tid bit in october 2005 news. as to what solon is talking about with the drug issue, it is a fact and that too was in the news.
also you never answered my question about whether or not you are in favor of our troops acting like sick manics?
not to mention bin ladden was the orginial reason for us bombing and invading this country (remember the forgotten war on "terror"?) yet where is bin ladden? has the white house, un and all countries involved done what they said they were gona do? ummmmm nope, bin ladden is still at large. so the questions still remain
1. why are we still there?
2. why have they not caught bin ladden?
3. why have the warlords been allowed to gain so much power in a country we still control?
4. why has the herion market in afghanistan been allowed to become bigger and better than it ever has?

greatcalgarian

Fat Kat Matt said:
okay, a couple dead insurgents were burned... SO WHAT?!
If you treat that as a proper war, insurgents have to be treated as enemy soldiers, and given due respect. Unless you are of the opinion that what ever GB branded as insurgents/terrorists are not human, and do not deserve to be treated as a human being.:cool:

The Black Whirlwind

they burned the bodies for hygenic reasons, you expect them to know some oddball philosophy that islams can't be burned? I believe they were completeley in their right to do so.

almifkhar

fat ummmm yea there is a oddball philosophy that islams can't be burned and yes the troops knew all about this for troops are breifed on local customs of the the people in the lands they invade. i know this by two reasons
1. i use to date a vet who said that the military informs the troops of the local customs of the people
2. the news article flat out said that they were aware of it.

greatcalgarian

Fat Kat Matt said:
they burned the bodies for hygenic reasons, you expect them to know some oddball philosophy that islams can't be burned? I believe they were completeley in their right to do so.
Ya, right, there were so many dead body in the war, including US soldiers. All these bodies were not burned, except the two insurgent bodies. For HYGENIC REASONS, right, correct, I do believe you.:biglaugh: