• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghan lives and livelihoods upended even more as US occupation ends

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is a tragedy for sure. Especially with the Taliban spewing pig crap out of their mouth saying "women will have rights according to an Islamic teachings." So we've already seen that is the right to be treated like property, forced to dress wearing a curtain that covers them head to toe, being abducted and enslaved, considered a part of the plunder of war, and forced to be baby factories.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What, it wasn't upended by hundreds of thousands of Afghans being slaughtered in a useless war we started and occupied by us? They seem to prefer the Taliban to us, imagine that.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it's tragic no doubt, but the biggest mistake imo was when we decided to try and run the country ourselves even though all previous powers had tried and failed. Now the best thing we can do is to try and help those dispossessed as much as possible.
One really important thing (and positive) is that we have demonstrated that we didn't go to Afghanistan to kill everyone. We never wanted the land for ourselves, and we didn't try to take it. We could have. I realize that we did a lot of things wrong, but we got that right.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
One really important thing (and positive) is that we have demonstrated that we didn't go to Afghanistan to kill everyone. We never wanted the land for ourselves, and we didn't try to take it. We could have. I realize that we did a lot of things wrong, but we got that right.
What reality are you living in? We just install puppet regimes, open up shop for corporations to exploit the situation and maintain troops there to remind of them of who is running the show. What do you think an occupation is? It's another form of imperialism. Now I see that establishment "liberals" are promoting "humanitarian imperialism" by running all these tear jerker stories about the people suffering under the Taliban, as if they gave a **** about their well-being while we were destroying their country for a few decades. I'm sure blowing those people away with missiles will alleviate their suffering! I mean, it didn't work before but let's try again? :shrug:

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'll just post this link and let conversation on this article ensue.

Afghans' lives and livelihoods upended even more as US occupation ends
The only thing I'll disagree with is the US went in with no intent of removing the Taliban. This only occurred because the Taliban wouldn't give us Al-Qaeda.
The US didn't go in for humanitarian reasons. Though letting people think otherwise was good for propaganda.

As pointed out, the government put in place by the US was corrupt. A people not ready for equality. It took western civilization 2000 years. It wasn't realistic to think we could pull it off in 20.

So yes, we are leaving it the way it was when we started this. Thinking that we were smarter than we were by making Afghan want something it didn't. We didn't even have good intentions for Afghan. We wanted to chalk up a win against terrorism. I guess this is the result of that intention.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
No, not I'm not claiming altruism which I think should be clear from my post. We showed that we didn't want the land and weren't there to kill everybody nor to annex territory. That's all.

" altruism noun ...
: unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others charitable acts motivated purely by altruism

: behavior by an animal that is not beneficial to or may be harmful to itself but that benefits others of its species" --- Miriam Webster​

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Yes, it's tragic no doubt, but the biggest mistake imo was when we decided to try and run the country ourselves even though all previous powers had tried and failed. Now the best thing we can do is to try and help those dispossessed as much as possible.
We gave them no input into what government was installed there. As we pumped money into the country, they became more corrupt. The people there had no respect for a corrupt system that didn't fit their traditional culture. The Taliban on the other hand fervently believed in their ideology which I refuse to call religion.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
The only thing I'll disagree with is the US went in with no intent of removing the Taliban. This only occurred because the Taliban wouldn't give us Al-Qaeda.
The US didn't go in for humanitarian reasons. Though letting people think otherwise was good for propaganda.
Originally it was to punish the Taliban for not giving us Al-Qaeda and also to eradicate Al-Qaeda. Unfortunately it morphed into trying to create a nation in our own image. Whatever the reason was for this is complicated. It was a delusion we could do something good by doing this. It was a way to make us look glorious.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most of the listed reasons make no sense. The last one is merely facetious. Sure, claim it is all about heroin. Go for it. Believe that if you like, but no US citizen believes its worthwhile to invade a country over that.
I was impressed by all the well-considered and clear-thinking reasons in that list as well, such as the reason for the war was to discount the military votes so Trump would lose. :) Why do people give any credibilty to stuff some dude just pulls out of his warped imagination?

"Adding insult to physical injury, not only are our military patriots imprisoned and wounded in distant quagmires like Afghanistan, somehow their ballots are either lost or not counted in nearly every election.14 Since the government knows both the location of our troops and the dates on which elections occur, one would think that getting the ballots to them and back to the US in time would not be a problem. Somehow it always is. Is it because the government is intentionally disenfranchising this segment of the population to influence election results?"​

I love the way conspiracy theorists think that by putting forward such wild dark conspiracy nonsense as a "question", such as "Is it because the government is intentionally disenfranchising this segment of the population to influence election results", that that makes something worthy of consideration?

Just like Fox News-Gossip shows, "Could it be that the Chinese made up all this global warming lies as a hoax? Could it be? You decided". What crap. What is wrong with people? Could it be they are easily led about by the nose by those who tickle their ears with nonsense?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What, it wasn't upended by hundreds of thousands of Afghans being slaughtered in a useless war we started and occupied by us? They seem to prefer the Taliban to us, imagine that.
I'm convinced most Afghans want the Taliban there.

The ease of the take over is proof of that.