• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghan attack: Babies killed as gunmen storm Kabul maternity ward

danieldemol

Premium Member
‘Two babies and 12 mothers and nurses were killed in a militant attack on a hospital in the Afghan capital Kabul on Tuesday morning.

Another 15 people, including a number of children, were injured in the attack by several gunmen, officials said.

Meanwhile, in the east, a bombing at a funeral killed at least 24 people.

In the wake of the attacks, President Ashraf Ghani said he was ordering the resumption of offensive operations against the Taliban and other groups.

He accused the militants of ignoring repeated calls for a reduction in violence.

The Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the attack on a police commander's funeral in Nangarhar, in the east of the country. It is still not clear who carried out the attack on the hospital, and the Taliban have denied any involvement.’

Read more here: Babies killed as gunmen storm maternity ward

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
‘Two babies and 12 mothers and nurses were killed in a militant attack on a hospital in the Afghan capital Kabul on Tuesday morning.

Another 15 people, including a number of children, were injured in the attack by several gunmen, officials said.

In the wake of the attacks, President Ashraf Ghani said he was ordering the resumption of offensive operations against the Taliban and other groups.

He accused the militants of ignoring repeated calls for a reduction in violence.

The Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the attack on a police commander's funeral in Nangarhar, in the east of the country. It is still not clear who carried out the attack on the hospital, and the Taliban have denied any involvement.’

Sometimes I wonder just what it is some of these terrorists expect to gain. What exactly are they fighting? Is this a war? Is it a revolution or an attempt to overthrow the government? What are their actual grievances and objectives? Do they have any? Is this just mindless, random killing without any rhyme or reason?

I think of other terrorist organizations which have existed for decades and are generally well-known to the public. After so many years of violence and killing, they're no better off now than when they started. Many are worse off.

It seems different with revolutionaries, since they appear to have an actual plan and clear, definable objectives. They may still be ruthlessly violent, but at least they have a discernible political goal which drives their actions.

However, these terrorists seem to operate like they have more a street gang mentality, not anything truly political. It seems more amoral, apolitical, and nihilistic - just killing for the sake of killing.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

can there be peace among Muslims?

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
These militants/terrorists must be really bold and brave to attack and kill babies and nursing mothers

Did you notice the hint od sarcasm there

Not defending their actions at all, but if the hospital is run by a foreign organisation or has foreigners working there, it's entirely possible that they were the targets, not the babies and mothers.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not defending their actions at all, but if the hospital is run by a foreign organisation or has foreigners working there, it's entirely possible that they were the targets, not the babies and mothers.

Possible but they missed, not only cowardly but bad shots too.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

I too am having trouble seeing this as more than just violent misfits with guns attacking easy targets for the sake of killing with no real political goal at all.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. since they appear to have an actual plan and clear, definable objectives.
Taliban as well as Pakistan has detailed and clear plans and well defined objectives. Taliban want to rule Afghanistan according to how they understand Shariah. Pakistan wants to use Taliban to gain power in Afghanistan. At stake is the whole of Central Asia. If Taliban can manage it, they would not let Pakistan get power in Afghanistan and if Taliban gain power in Afghanistan, Pakistan would not allow them peace. They would send in new groups.

US has tried to use Pakistan to quell Taliban in Afghanistan, which has been their mistake. Pakistan has no intention to weaken Taliban till the US goes out of Afghanistan. This is my reading of the Afghanistan conflict.

The religious groups are active in Pakistan also (Mowlana Fazal-ur-Rehman), but Pakistan military has chosen a pliable Imran Khan instead of them.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Taliban as well as Pakistan has detailed and clear plans and well defined objectives. Taliban want to rule Afghanistan according to how they understand Shariah. Pakistan wants to use Taliban to gain power in Afghanistan. At stake is the whole of Central Asia. If Taliban can manage it, they would not let Pakistan get power in Afghanistan and if Taliban gain power in Afghanistan, Pakistan would not allow them peace. They would send in new groups.

US has tried to use Pakistan to quell Taliban in Afghanistan, which has been their mistake. Pakistan has no intention to weaken Taliban till the US goes out of Afghanistan. This is my reading of the Afghanistan conflict.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. You're saying that Pakistan wants to use the Taliban to gain power in Afghanistan, but they would not allow them any peace if they did? It makes it sound like Pakistan is wishy-washy and doesn't know what side to take.

Still, I can't see how attacking maternity wards and killing babies would bring them any closer to achieving power.

I can see where the US might use Pakistan as some kind of proxy to keep Afghanistan under control, but why wouldn't Pakistan go along with that? If they truly want to hold hegemony over Afghanistan, then having US support to do so would work to their advantage.

But from what you're saying, it appears Pakistan is a large part of the problem, that they're instigators or something.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sometimes I wonder just what it is some of these terrorists expect to gain. What exactly are they fighting? Is this a war? Is it a revolution or an attempt to overthrow the government? What are their actual grievances and objectives? Do they have any? Is this just mindless, random killing without any rhyme or reason?

I think of other terrorist organizations which have existed for decades and are generally well-known to the public. After so many years of violence and killing, they're no better off now than when they started. Many are worse off.

It seems different with revolutionaries, since they appear to have an actual plan and clear, definable objectives. They may still be ruthlessly violent, but at least they have a discernible political goal which drives their actions.

However, these terrorists seem to operate like they have more a street gang mentality, not anything truly political. It seems more amoral, apolitical, and nihilistic - just killing for the sake of killing.
Daesh is really a religious doomsday cult, but, yes - they have their more practical street gang aspects, too. You'll have your true believers along with your criminal opportunists like any extremist movement.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member