• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Affinity for Polytheism?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
When it comes to religion, my main area of expertise is in Biblical based religions. I left the Jehovah's Witnesses about two years ago (I think. Can't remember) who are very devoted to their god and study the bible quite extensively. Having studied the Bible, I was most drawn to the prophetic books which are like creative puzzles, using imagery, metaphor and symbolism to convey a point. I still enjoy reading them.

After I left I started reading an in depth book about Ancient Egyptian beliefs and am now reading a book on Hindu myth. I am finding that I am way more fascinated by learning about those beliefs than I am by the Judaism and Christianity, which I don't find colourful enough. Even more so with Islam. They seem hollow whereas polytheism seems rich. I think that this is because they are so dogmatic about what is truth, whereas with polytheism, as far as I know, does not care so much about which god is true or not, but rather uses mythology to convey underlying truths about the world in a creative way, using the same tactic as the Biblical prophetic books, which also reveal underlying truths creatively.

So what I am pondering is, why do I feel such an affinity to polytheism vs monotheism? Is it maybe because I am a creative person, an artist, avid reader and graphic designer, so I like creative descriptions and cryptic puzzles that I must figure out? Or is there some other reason why?

Do any of you guys feel the same way or am I the only one who has this conundrum?

I see polytheism as an essential part of humanities religious experience. I'm most familiar with the mythology of the New Zealand Maori and Shintoism the indigenous religion of the Japanese people. There is synthetic relationships with other faiths that came later such as the Ratana movement that incorporates Christianity with traditional Maori beliefs. Buddhism and Shintoism coexisted harmoniously for many centuries. Its important that Baha'is avoid the mistakes of Christians and Muslims in their dealings with indigenous faiths. Like you, I'm attracted to the mythology and symbolism of indigenous religions. I avoid the term polytheistic religions, preferring the term indigenous as they may incorporate aspects of monotheism or atheism and are often rooted in a particular peoples or geography.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
It just seems very 90s. The television technology has improved so the picture looked a little jaded.

I see polytheism as an essential part of humanities religious experience. I'm most familiar with the mythology of the New Zealand Maori and Shintoism the indigenous religion of the Japanese people. There is synthetic relationships with other faiths that came later such as the Ratana movement that incorporates Christianity with traditional Maori beliefs. Buddhism and Shintoism coexisted harmoniously for many centuries. Its important that Baha'is avoid the mistakes of Christians and Muslims in their dealings with indigenous faiths. Like you, I'm attracted to the mythology and symbolism of indigenous religions. I avoid the term polytheistic religions, preferring the term indigenous as they may incorporate aspects of monotheism or atheism and are often rooted in a particular peoples or geography.
Yeah, Christianity and Islam were pretty destructive to indigenous religions. That gave them a bad reputation later on. Not the best way to approach others.

When I use the term polytheism I just refer to religions that have multiple gods. To me indigenous religions refers to local religions, not the traits of religions.

The Maori religion must be pretty interesting. Weren't they cannibals at one point? Or am I thinking of another tribe in the area?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, Christianity and Islam were pretty destructive to indigenous religions. That gave them a bad reputation later on. Not the best way to approach others.

When I use the term polytheism I just refer to religions that have multiple gods. To me indigenous religions refers to local religions, not the traits of religions.

The Maori religion must be pretty interesting. Weren't they cannibals at one point? Or am I thinking of another tribe in the area?

I doubt if Maori would consider their traditional spiritual beliefs 'polytheistic' and may even object to the term as it pigeon holes their beliefs. There has been an enormous renaissance with indigenous or first nation peoples worldwide and the language used is important. So while there are polytheistic traits of Maori traditional belief, the tendency to label Maori beliefs as being 'polytheistic' is vey much what some Christians do to denigrate and dismiss. The reality that some Christians seem unable or unwilling to grasp is there were aspects of monotheism within Maoritanga before the Europeans colonised New Zealand.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When it comes to religion, my main area of expertise is in Biblical based religions. I left the Jehovah's Witnesses about two years ago (I think. Can't remember) who are very devoted to their god and study the bible quite extensively. Having studied the Bible, I was most drawn to the prophetic books which are like creative puzzles, using imagery, metaphor and symbolism to convey a point. I still enjoy reading them.

After I left I started reading an in depth book about Ancient Egyptian beliefs and am now reading a book on Hindu myth. I am finding that I am way more fascinated by learning about those beliefs than I am by the Judaism and Christianity, which I don't find colourful enough. Even more so with Islam. They seem hollow whereas polytheism seems rich. I think that this is because they are so dogmatic about what is truth, whereas with polytheism, as far as I know, does not care so much about which god is true or not, but rather uses mythology to convey underlying truths about the world in a creative way, using the same tactic as the Biblical prophetic books, which also reveal underlying truths creatively.

So what I am pondering is, why do I feel such an affinity to polytheism vs monotheism? Is it maybe because I am a creative person, an artist, avid reader and graphic designer, so I like creative descriptions and cryptic puzzles that I must figure out? Or is there some other reason why?

Do any of you guys feel the same way or am I the only one who has this conundrum?
Polytheism is inherently more reasonable.

As I touched on in another thread, to properly justify monotheism, there are five hurdles to clear. To properly justify polytheism, there are only four:

It seems to me that getting to the conclusion that the monotheistic god-concept of one particular religion exists needs a few other prior steps:

1. God-claims should be taken seriously.
2. Gods (as a category of thing) are possible.
3. Gods (as a category of thing) exist.
4. A particular god exists.
5. (For monotheistic religions) no other gods exist.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I doubt if Maori would consider their traditional spiritual beliefs 'polytheistic' and may even object to the term as it pigeon holes their beliefs. There has been an enormous renaissance with indigenous or first nation peoples worldwide and the language used is important. So while there are polytheistic traits of Maori traditional belief, the tendency to label Maori beliefs as being 'polytheistic' is vey much what some Christians do to denigrate and dismiss. The reality that some Christians seem unable or unwilling to grasp is there were aspects of monotheism within Maoritanga before the Europeans colonised New Zealand.

That is the problem with definitions when it comes to religion, they pigeon hole beliefs, that is why definitions should be taken lightly. I acknowledge that the Maori beliefs, like all beliefs, are more complex than any definition we can apply to them.

Christians do tend to consider non Abrahamic faiths "pagan" which is a synonym for polytheistic in their vocabulary, in order to dismiss those faiths. It is a thought-stopping cliche. In general, I find that many Christians are willing to adopt the stereotype view of other religions, and don't want to represent other religions accurately. As for me, from a monotheist background, I am struggling to understand the worldview of indigenous religions because I have been conditioned to comprehend the spiritual in a certain way which is supposedly "logical".

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Polytheism is inherently more reasonable.

As I touched on in another thread, to properly justify monotheism, there are five hurdles to clear. To properly justify polytheism, there are only four:

That is a very useful point summary.

I think another hurdle to add is that the current monotheistic religions claim a monopoly on truth. To me it seems that polytheism doesn't.

Also, depending on the polytheist religion, point one might not be necessarily true.

Bear Wild

I doubt if Maori would consider their traditional spiritual beliefs 'polytheistic' and may even object to the term as it pigeon holes their beliefs

Interesting, so if not polytheistic is the pre-Christian religion of the Maori monotheistic or nontheistic? That would be interesting. That would be and interesting difference from what I learned of Hawaiian traditional beliefs when I was living there. The tadeonal religion explained from Hawaiians I got to know indicated a polytheistic and very animistic belief. There were so many places that were sacred where offerings were left. I would be interested in the differences in the Maori's pattern which I am not familiar with.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That is a very useful point summary.

I think another hurdle to add is that the current monotheistic religions claim a monopoly on truth. To me it seems that polytheism doesn't.
Sure. Establishing that only one god exists requires establishing that all other gods - and also all the gods anyone might ever dream up - do not exist. I can't see a way of doing this that doesn't involve rejecting the sources that other competing theists are using to justify their theism.

Also, depending on the polytheist religion, point one might not be necessarily true.
When I put together that list, I was thinking specifically of people who believe that their gods literally exist.

Clara Tea

You don't seem attracted to the religion(s) of polytheism. Rather, you are fascinated by the colorful interplay of Gods.

Of course, if Gods are not real or right, one shouldn't worship them.

Many religions (such as the Jewish religion) used to be polytheistic.

I would speculate that polytheists felt that they were cheating on the strongest God if they supported or worshiped minor Gods. The strong God might smite them if they believed in weak Gods too.

Thus, polytheistic religions likely become monotheistic.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
You don't seem attracted to the religion(s) of polytheism. Rather, you are fascinated by the colorful interplay of Gods.
Interesting. Please elaborate.

Of course, if Gods are not real or right, one shouldn't worship them.
Not speaking about worshipping at all here. Just affinity for.

Many religions (such as the Jewish religion) used to be polytheistic.
They used to be Henotheistic, not polytheistic.

I would speculate that polytheists felt that they were cheating on the strongest God if they supported or worshiped minor Gods. The strong God might smite them if they believed in weak Gods too.

Thus, polytheistic religions likely become monotheistic.
Well the first case of monotheism was Atenism, which one Pharoah instituted and then because of its destructive nature, it was abandoned. So that was driven by an individual.

From what I have read so far, Judaism became monotheistic possibly because they had to deal with their God being defeated by another, the Babylonian one. So they possibly said that no Gods exist but rather that their God rejected them to save face and deal with morale.

Then Christianity ventured away from pure monotheism with the Trinity and other religious beliefs.

Islam brought strict monotheism back top the fore.

It is all speculation though, like your viewpoint.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Sure. Establishing that only one god exists requires establishing that all other gods - and also all the gods anyone might ever dream up - do not exist. I can't see a way of doing this that doesn't involve rejecting the sources that other competing theists are using to justify their theism.
The only other way I have seen it done is the way the Baha'i sort out the issue.

When I put together that list, I was thinking specifically of people who believe that their gods literally exist.
Cool.