• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Affairs of the Heart

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is it better to fall in love and/or to be crushed by it? or is it better never to have been hurt?

Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed."

what you think?

Last edited:
I have certain animal instincts within me saying that I must pass on my genes. When my body notices someone who could be a possible mate it let's off a chemical reaction which my brain calls love. I have no control over these things. But that doesn't mean I have to pursue them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is it better to fall in love and/or to be crushed by it? or is it better never to have been hurt?

Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed."

what you think?

Being less attached to worldly things lets me sit back and just enjoy the drama. Looking for that perfect love when love is imperfect.

I still get emotionally involved but I think I can let go of those emotions quicker.

All the pain, suffering, hurt etc... just makes life more interesting.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Better for what? A case can readily be made for any possibility in the absence of such context. The cases are also highly individual.

That said, I don't think most humans want to undergo emotional abuse or trauma, regardless of its source. Emotional trauma leaves scars that last lifetimes. Physical injuries are trivial by comparison.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There are several different things that people commonly mean by that one word, "love". How one might answer the OP largely depends on what kind of love one is thinking about.

Now having said that, at least some kinds of love are life affirming and life renewing. I think those kinds of love are worth any suffering one might experience on account of them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

what you think?
Sometimes I think love is a Rite of Passage.

Electra

will you allow your heart space to grow, crack open the limitations, shift the ideals, will you realise that what comes, goes - you are left with you, not the you you knew before this love, but a new you. Growing, expanding, adapting. This love is a love of I. as all love leads to the road to me. Each love changes perceptions of I, it is not the love whom changes but I who is Love.

Grandliseur

what you think?
I think you are quoting a scripture that has nothing to do with love.
Humans were made to live as wife and husband bound by the bond of love. At first the love is emotional mostly, later it turns to become something stronger. A couple becomes one flesh, though they will have various problems during their time. If they work through these they will end their lives together having enjoyed their time together mostly.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I'm pretty asexual at this point, including in the romantic department. I also am not sure how this happened, but I'm going with it. Being single can be nice. I'm also not closing myself to any possibilities. It could be that I'm getting older I guess, and that compulsion is no longer a major player. It could also be my strong dedication to Buddhism, but I wouldn't know how to determine that.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

what you think?

Well if it ain't love, it can only be the imagination.

I'd be a fool to go for anything less.

Hurt is a noble thing. What else is there to fight for?

I mean what else is there in a relationship, if it ain't Love? that'd be miserable usury. And that's a worse feeling.

Yet time after time people get into rental relationships. And what does that feel like but miserable.

This is a no brainer.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think you are quoting a scripture that has nothing to do with love.
Humans were made to live as wife and husband bound by the bond of love. At first the love is emotional mostly, later it turns to become something stronger. A couple becomes one flesh, though they will have various problems during their time. If they work through these they will end their lives together having enjoyed their time together mostly.

love between friends is greater than the love between a male and female.

jesus said there was no greater love than that of a friend. a husband and wife are not necessarily friends.

Grandliseur

jesus said there was no greater love than that of a friend. a husband and wife are not necessarily friends.

Not is greater, but may be greater. It depends - doesn't it.
a husband and wife are not necessarily friends.
Also depending on that couple. When they become one, that love is not one of Eros, as it is one of being ehh, one.
Thus, a friend may still be another part of our relationships with people. If one has a friendship as David and Jonathan had, it is clearly a very strong bond of love, a pure kind, a different kind than that of wife and husband.

I think such friendships that don't go beyond what God demands are quite rare.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
If one has a friendship as David and Jonathan had, it is clearly a very strong bond of love, a pure kind, a different kind than that of wife and husband.

Are you certain that's all it was between David and Jonathan?

2 Samuel 1:26 I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women.

Grandliseur

Are you certain that's all it was between David and Jonathan?

2 Samuel 1:26 I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women.
If it had been more, a homosexual thing, God would have damned David. It is that simple. Under the Mosaic Law, there is no other way to look at it.

Things do not have to be physical in this kind of friendship. Especially when life and death situations are part of what the friendship turns about.

When I was a child, many women would be strong friends, hold hands, etc. Yet, this had nothing to do with being homosexual. Only lately, the last 20/30 years has this taken hold so that the old style friendships are no longer thought about when two girls hold hands. It is a shame. I am from a culture where boys do not hold hands, and kissing even a father is against my culture. However, in other cultures, when males kissed (Russia ???) it was in public and not homosexual in olden times. This, is beyond my experience and knowledge.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
If it had been more, a homosexual thing, God would have damned David. It is that simple. Under the Mosaic Law, there is no other way to look at it.

Sure, that's a theological inference. As is I suppose, accepting the view that the Torah may not have been compiled during David's time, and even it's theological positions weren't final. I'm aware this is secular scholarship versus belief.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

what you think?
wasn't the Carpenter speaking of the law?....when the quote was dealt

but of all the trials we suffer.....your affairs of the heart
will make you or break you

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Things do not have to be physical in this kind of friendship. Especially when life and death situations are part of what the friendship turns about.

When I was a child, many women would be strong friends, hold hands, etc. Yet, this had nothing to do with being homosexual. Only lately, the last 20/30 years has this taken hold so that the old style friendships are no longer thought about when two girls hold hands. It is a shame. I am from a culture where boys do not hold hands, and kissing even a father is against my culture. However, in other cultures, when males kissed (Russia ???) it was in public and not homosexual in olden times. This, is beyond my experience and knowledge.
and the Carpenter was betrayed with a kiss

did it break His heart?

I think the laying of swords upon His Last Supper table
was the moment of His heart ache

Grandliseur

and the Carpenter was betrayed with a kiss

did it break His heart?

I think the laying of swords upon His Last Supper table
was the moment of His heart ache
When I read that, I think of a kiss on the cheek. Such can still be done tenderly, among friends, parent and child. It is not part of my culture however. Kissing even a father is giving me the chills.

Breaking his heart
I am sure it was a sad experience for Jesus. However, if you recall, Judas had long had his hands in the till and stolen money. Jesus was aware of this, and if we read the account and prophecies, it was clear that one of the 12 when selected was selected so as to fulfill the prophecy. His qualities were known from that moment he was chosen; though, it was his own greed that made him fail.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
When I read that, I think of a kiss on the cheek. Such can still be done tenderly, among friends, parent and child. It is not part of my culture however. Kissing even a father is giving me the chills.

Breaking his heart
I am sure it was a sad experience for Jesus. However, if you recall, Judas had long had his hands in the till and stolen money. Jesus was aware of this, and if we read the account and prophecies, it was clear that one of the 12 when selected was selected so as to fulfill the prophecy. His qualities were known from that moment he was chosen; though, it was his own greed that made him fail.
yeh ..... a kiss on the cheek.....sure

but as I read the report of His last few days.....all of His effort must have appeared to be in vain

He enters the Holy City only to find it needful to clear the Temple

He has a meal with His followers knowing it would be His last
and they want to know if two swords placed on the table would be enough
clearly they expected Him to multiply the weapons.....as He did the fish and bread for thousands
they could arm the City over night....take control from the Romans
and clearly again....His followers did not understand anything.....nothing.....

He said....it is enough
and walked out of the safety of the upper room
to pray alone in a garden

and after three years of following.....his disciples finally ask
Teach us to pray
they waited until the last few hours to ask the one item most important

and then beaten and nailed.....He turns His face to heaven
and wants to know....

Why have you forsaken Me?

no wonder His brow did bleed when He prayed in Gethsemane