• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
What sort of things do adults in your culture give advice to younger men and women about?

Try to think of aspects of this advice you imagine might be specific to your culture - they probably won't be, but just to make the discussion more interesting.

I suppose, among us, there aren't many categories of advice that differ from anywhere else - but I'm sure the actual advice does.

You have, of course, marriage.

There are warnings to young men not to marry a woman only for her beauty, because that will change - and in Bosnia, does it ever. :D

"Don't get too caught up in her long legs, my darling boy. Just remember: look at her fat, ugly mother - that's the face she'll end up with."

There's advice for women to choose a husband who is dominant in daily life, and not someone more sensitive:

"The boys who cry are the first to die."

"The more battles you fight, the more predictable your strategy and the easier you are to defeat." (Choose your battles)

Then there's advice against chosing an unrespectable (ie, ugly) girl:

"If you've got them lined up around the block, you need not choose the biggest there."

"A fiance's smile should always make your mother uncomfortable."

And there's advice for girls not to get too caught up in the looks of their men:

"By the time it's not nice to look it, it doesn't work anyway."

There's advice about... everything really. Kind of a hard discussion to have - maybe it will go somewhere. :D

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Hmmm... some about caring for babies:

Give your baby vodka when it's teething or has colic.

Shave his head a few times so he'll never go bald.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
By far, the three most popular topics young people ask me for advice about are sex, relationships, and God.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
Hmmm... some about caring for babies:

Give your baby vodka when it's teething or has colic.

Seeing as this is the U.S., the advice here is bourbon, not vodka.

Personally I find Orajel Nighttime works better anyway.

Oh, advice about babies (some good, some bad -- you can guess which):

Don't pick up a crying child -- you'll spoil it

Keep the basinet in the living area when the baby is young, and be sure to make regular household noise around it, including vacuuming right under the basinet. This way, the baby won't grow up to be a light sleeper.

Feed the baby watered down rice cereal when it's just a few days old. It'll sleep through the night better.

If the baby has cradle cap, rub baby oil on the scalp. Wait about 10 minutes and then rub the stuff off gently with the side of your finger.

I could go into nursing advice, but I might have to take it to the Eros Room. :D

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
What sort of things do adults in your culture give advice to younger men and women about?

Try to think of aspects of this advice you imagine might be specific to your culture - they probably won't be, but just to make the discussion more interesting.

I suppose, among us, there aren't many categories of advice that differ from anywhere else - but I'm sure the actual advice does.

You have, of course, marriage.
If you visit your (potential) in laws house and aren't comfortable there, don't marry him.

"The more battles you fight, the more predictable your strategy and the easier you are to defeat." (Choose your battles)
The version here to young wives is: Is that the hill you wanna die on? (Marine saying)

Advice given to women who move in with men, unmarried: Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free? :cow:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:
By far, the three most popular topics young people ask me for advice about are sex, relationships, and God.

And your answer always involves spiritual advancement through girls on trampolines.

Geesh, Sunstone, you even manage to work exercise into that formula. You're a genius!

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Booko said:
The version here to young wives is: Is that the hill you wanna die on? (Marine saying)

I LOVE it! I'm going to start using that! Hahaha!

Booko said:
Advice given to women who move in with men, unmarried: Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free? :cow:

Hahaha! I LOVE it too!

Our version is: "The [front] door only closes behind a [finger with a wedding] ring."