• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on Starting a Quaker Meeting House

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Suggestions for finding and establishing a quaker meeting place for worship?

my own home is not an option. initially there would be no funds for such a facility.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
You said the closest one is an hour away? Well you could try making one online...There are a few Quaker meeting online. You don't have to make a facility for Quaker worship either. Just meet somewhere quiet with a few people and sit seeking guidance from the Spirit. Doesn't reallly matter where as long as you find a good quiet place that doesn't distract you from your goal of listening to the Spirit I haven't been able to go to a Quaker meeting house and I will not be going to one regularly until after I'm an adult. what i do is do independent silent worship on my own or meet with this one friend of mine and worship. We don't always sit for an hour either sometimes we sit for less then that. I am currently looking for silent meetings online. However this doesn't apply for programmed worship just unprogrammed worship...It also depends on why you are making on if it's just for silent worship then that would work but if its for the community of a bunch of Quakers then this wouldn't work.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Of course the most important thing is finding Quakers that aren't part of a meetinghouse or group....I have no clue how to do that except by social media

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Suggestions for finding and establishing a quaker meeting place for worship?

my own home is not an option. initially there would be no funds for such a facility.
What you would need is to get in touch with the secretary of a yearly meeting and ask them how to get started. Weekly meetings get together for yearly or bi-annual meetings, sending representatives. I think that to use the term 'Quaker' a new Quaker meeting must be sponsored by an established Quaker meeting. So if you got in touch with the secretary then they could get you into touch with a weekly meeting interested in sponsoring your new meeting (not financially but spiritually). You will need to do more than put up a sign but travel occasionally to larger meetings.

One of the first things you will be doing at weekly meetings is keeping records during business proceedings which may happen weekly or bi-weekly. Often business meetings occur where the worship takes place. Everyone is always welcome and encouraged to attend business meetings. You always record what happens at your meeting and keep the records. All Quaker meetings keep records of attendance, minutes, comments, concerns, questions and plans. There are records of Quaker attendance and meeting details going back centuries.

Being sponsored by a meeting has some benefits. First you can officially be called a Quaker meeting. You can officiate weddings and funerals, register for non-profit status, accept donations. You get the advantage of experience when there are problems, too.

Its not necessary, however, to be Quaker. People start similar meetings on similar principles. If you can't get sponsored then you can fork.

MonkeyFire

Groundhogs (my religion) believe in pacifism and friendship too just be my inaugural member lol. Pacifism is morality, safety, and emotion all in one, it really is the perfect thing. We dedicate ourselves to discovery of safety, and pleasure. We have faith in life which is the ultimate fundamental, we call this hope. A groundhog has the power to illuminate nature.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What you would need is to get in touch with the secretary of a yearly meeting and ask them how to get started. Weekly meetings get together for yearly or bi-annual meetings, sending representatives. I think that to use the term 'Quaker' a new Quaker meeting must be sponsored by an established Quaker meeting. So if you got in touch with the secretary then they could get you into touch with a weekly meeting interested in sponsoring your new meeting (not financially but spiritually). You will need to do more than put up a sign but travel occasionally to larger meetings.

One of the first things you will be doing at weekly meetings is keeping records during business proceedings which may happen weekly or bi-weekly. Often business meetings occur where the worship takes place. Everyone is always welcome and encouraged to attend business meetings. You always record what happens at your meeting and keep the records. All Quaker meetings keep records of attendance, minutes, comments, concerns, questions and plans. There are records of Quaker attendance and meeting details going back centuries.

Being sponsored by a meeting has some benefits. First you can officially be called a Quaker meeting. You can officiate weddings and funerals, register for non-profit status, accept donations. You get the advantage of experience when there are problems, too.

Its not necessary, however, to be Quaker. People start similar meetings on similar principles. If you can't get sponsored then you can fork.

thank you very much for the info.