• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice needed on seeking a religious path

Flourish

First off I just want to say I'm excited to have found these forums and hi to everyone here. I'm looking forward to learning more about the world's religions.

I've been on this religious seeking journey for over a decade. As a teen I realized I had no connection to the Christian ideology I was raised with. I turned to paganism (dabbled in Wicca and some Dianic traditions) but found that while I liked the ideology I couldn't get past how "fluffy" (no offense intended; it's the best word I can think of to describe this) most of what I saw was. I've also lately become interested in Judaism, but have already been told by family I'll be disowned and considered dead to them if I convert. Judaism is the closest I've felt to a spiritual calling but I don't want to give up my family.

I believe in God and that this is an omniscient beyond-human force that can be called by many names and is present as a divine spark in all non-living and living things.
I believe in evolution and scientific theory regarding the universe, but that these events were inspired by God.
I don't believe it's possible for any human to become divine. People can be inspired by God and try to live lives in a Godly manner, but this does not make them divine.
I believe in good and evil but not in an original sin or in an omnipresent evil like Satan (though I remember enough from my former churchgoing days to still find that idea frightening lol.)
Afterlife....I don't know. I like to think there is one but I have no firm opinions other than not believing in the Christian idea of hell as all fire and brimstone.
I like a sense of community and shared history. This was one of my major problems with paganism. It all struck me as very slapped together. I wanted a sense of history and ritual, instead of a more pick and choose approach.
I'm a liberal and a feminist. I can't believe in doctrines that are anti-choice, support oppression of any people, etc.

Help?

elmarna

WOW!
Sounds exactly like the path I walked on for so long.
My problem was that so many religions insisted on superstition and I never wanted to "fill in" the unknowns.
It is best said that in your beliefs that you have your faith rooted in is going to lead you to the ways of a peoples and a fellowship that will help you define who you are.
It is not uncommon to have been in more than 1 religion in a life time.
My suggestion to you is it sounds very much like the U.U. Church.
There is a DIR here for them.
You can place a thread and see if I am pointing you in the right direction.
By the way - say hi for me to sagetree!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's a tough call whenever family comparably dictates their love for you and their love for a specific religion. I would personally feel a bit betrayed, yet would be realistic with my considerations. Nevertheless follow what you think is best, and never regret your decisions. Perhaps a happy medium as elmarna suggests would be best in your situation in the interim. Being that you dabbled in other religions without recourse, maybe you could do the same without too much friction. Anyways you still have your own life to live as you see it. Don't ever cheat yourself. Good luck and welcome.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
My opinions are you should look into Judaism, yeah.
Sikhism may also be in there, if you are okay with the concept of reincarnation, and possibly Unitarian Universalism.

Good luck on your quest. :)

terryboy

Hi Flourish,

I don't understand why your family would want to disown you if you want to convert to Judaism. Maybe you can try to explore Kabalah, it's rooted in Judaism but it's not traditional Judaism. When your family ask you, you can say you're inspired by Madonna. Then, they wouldn't have any reason to disown you

Just my 2 cents

Pineblossom

Wanderer
First off I just want to say I'm excited to have found these forums and hi to everyone here. I'm looking forward to learning more about the world's religions.

I've been on this religious seeking journey for over a decade. As a teen I realized I had no connection to the Christian ideology I was raised with. I turned to paganism (dabbled in Wicca and some Dianic traditions) but found that while I liked the ideology I couldn't get past how "fluffy" (no offense intended; it's the best word I can think of to describe this) most of what I saw was. I've also lately become interested in Judaism, but have already been told by family I'll be disowned and considered dead to them if I convert. Judaism is the closest I've felt to a spiritual calling but I don't want to give up my family.

I believe in God and that this is an omniscient beyond-human force that can be called by many names and is present as a divine spark in all non-living and living things.
I believe in evolution and scientific theory regarding the universe, but that these events were inspired by God.
I don't believe it's possible for any human to become divine. People can be inspired by God and try to live lives in a Godly manner, but this does not make them divine.
I believe in good and evil but not in an original sin or in an omnipresent evil like Satan (though I remember enough from my former churchgoing days to still find that idea frightening lol.)
Afterlife....I don't know. I like to think there is one but I have no firm opinions other than not believing in the Christian idea of hell as all fire and brimstone.
I like a sense of community and shared history. This was one of my major problems with paganism. It all struck me as very slapped together. I wanted a sense of history and ritual, instead of a more pick and choose approach.
I'm a liberal and a feminist. I can't believe in doctrines that are anti-choice, support oppression of any people, etc.

Help?

Welcome.

One thing a seeker needs is an open mind.

Reading through your post it appears you have placed far too many restrictions of your path.

Unless you are willing to stand on the edge of a cliff in a howling gale then you will forever seek safe havens - and safe havens are for those who have already made up their minds. Seeking a spirit filled life, or whatever you want to call it, is not for the faint hearted.

So, the first thing you have to renounce, and a seeker's life is one of frequent renunciation, is any attached to preconceived ideas and beliefs. Seeking a path is impossible if you have already placed embargoes on certain topics. Attachment and aversion are the greatest cause of stress and anxiety.

But, for what it's worth, have you had a look at Tibetan Buddhism?

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
why do you need an organized path? just keep on keeping on. god religion spirituality metaphysic do not need a box. just live and be you

Help?
Hi foolish
You are a faithful person looking for the truth
And you have a strong feeling of rhightousness

I've been on this religious seeking journey for over a decade. As a teen I realized I had no connection to the Christian ideology I was raised with. I

Help?
we all human being are equa
We need to nourish our bodies with food
//. //. //. //. Brains with knoeledge and science
And most important we need to nourish Our souls (spirits) with our relation with God (Allah) .
If we have succeed in everything (studies, diploms , job, ,,,,wealth ,,,health ,,etc,,) without contact and relation ( strong bound ) with God (Allah) we feel a huge emptiness and lost ....
Nothing can fulfill this feeling except the faith in Allah (God) and our love for Him

Help?
When God (Allah) created.human , He gave him all senses ( including commun sense which is an internal balance that allow us to know existance and onesness of God, as well as to know the right and the wrong ) so He gave us all senses , signs , in ourselves and in the universe , and He helped us with the prophets and messengers and holly books to know the right path.
Than. God gave everyone of us the choice :
To believe or disbelieve
To obey or disobey
To listen to the teachings of the prophet and warning of day of judgment or to refuse listining
In the day of judgment everyone will be treated according to his own choice
Allah is the most just , He wouldnt reward or punish people if it wasnt their own free choice,,,,,
There is no compulsion in religion, but free choice , and responsability of choice
Translt of Quran (Word of God) 1:256-257:" There is no compulsion in religion.Right direction is henseforth distinct from error ,and he who rejecteth false dieties and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm hand which will never break.
Allah is Hearer , Knower.
Allah is the protector of those who believe .He bringeth them out of dakness into light .As for those who disbeliene their patrons are false dieties , they bring them out of the light into darkness.Such are rightful owners of fire. They will abide therein."

Last edited by a moderator:

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Help?

I could have wrote this same post....except for the uncertainty about the next life.

Seems to me, you are seeking a non-dogmatic approach.
Go for it.

As a rogue theologian, I am quite as ease.