• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice for seekers.

Requia

I find myself frequently giving out advice that isn't useful for one reason or another, or failing to say things that I didn't realize were relevant, and I thought it might be useful to point out some things that will help me (and hopefully others) help the seekers here.

Be upfront about what you're looking for in a religion. If the social aspects of religion are important to you, then you don't want people suggesting obscure religions that probably don't have a congregation in your area. If you want a religion that already matches the beliefs you have, say what those beliefs are.

Avoid fuzzy labels. Pretty much any label for a religion, be is mystic, christian, satanist or the like, has many meaning to many different people. You'll get a better quality of responses from saying "I want a religion that will help me get closer to God" than saying "I want a mystic religion".

If you've already decided you don't like a given religion, say why. No religion is homogeneous, the things you don't like about a religion you rejected may not be present in another sect of the religion, but nobody is going to tell you that unless they know why you rejected the religion.