• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advaita: Nothing Exists but I

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I have been trying to find ans of my question regarding Advaita for a long type, and I have got some of them. Here is something that I want to share with you all.
Yesterday I was thinking about Advaita and how brahman creates one out of many within self. Than I started thinking about Bigbang as one of my friend believes Big bang theory explanation of Advaita. I found it incompatible with Advaita. Because in Big bang theory other than hot egg we can see the independent existence of emptiness which never ends or may end with new worlds/universes. But in Advaita only Brahman exists. So do you believe time and even emptiness as illusion. Space Time and nonexistence of existence actually does not exists even temporarily, and they appears to exist only due to maya of Saguna Brahman. What are your views??

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Advaita deals with the mountaintop perspective alone: There is none but Brahman. All is Brahman.

Some Advaitins say: No need to go to temple, for I am beyond that.
No need to practice dharma, for I am beyond that.
No need to vegetarian because I am Brahman, beyond that.

The point in this is that there is a reality out there beyond Brahman, in front of Brahman, on the way to the mountaintop, whatever.

In the deepest depths of a seer's being, in that place that never changes, in the Self God within man, the mountaintop perspective exists. It's ultimate reality. But it's deep deep within, in mystic union, not some minor intellectual concept.

But once He opens the eyes of the temporal abode, then the ego-self becomes part of it, and then there is food, a car to drive, laws to obey. This can be termed Relative Reality, and often is.

So go beyond the mountaintop perspective, a little higher yet, so you can see the mountaintop AND the way to get there.

Sorry Sumit I went off topic and on to some rant... I can delete it if you want.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No, that's perfectly OK. :D

Thanks. I actually don't think that much about Advaita, cause I'm not an Advaitin. But if you have some conundrum, I'm sure you'll figure it out, in this lifetime, or the next.

Maya3

I´m Advaitin, and I believe in the Big Bang, I don´t think we are illusion at all. We and everything exists.
You said that in Advaita only Brahman exists, yes but Brahman is everything. Everything you see, including everything in the Universe Big Bang and all is part of Brahman, The Self or whatever you call it.
That we don´t exist is a misconception about Advaita as far as I´m concerned.
We don´t exist separately from everything else, but it does not mean that we don´t exist.

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yesterday I was thinking about Advaita and how brahman creates one out of many within self. Than I started thinking about Bigbang as one of my friend believes Big bang theory explanation of Advaita. I found it incompatible with Advaita. Because in Big bang theory other than hot egg we can see the independent existence of emptiness which never ends or may end with new worlds/universes. But in Advaita only Brahman exists. So do you believe time and even emptiness as illusion. Space Time and nonexistence of existence actually does not exists even temporarily, and they appears to exist only due to maya of Saguna Brahman. What are your views??
Big Bang is not incompatible with 'advaita' (my personal opinion, we started with some changes in energy/space. Now, kindly do not ask me exactly what. We have yet not found it). We also do not know the relationship of existence with non-existence. Is there a time when energy/space cease to exist? Let us get some more information on multiple-universes (and dimensions), brains or whatever. That is for future.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I´m Advaitin, and I believe in the Big Bang, I don´t think we are illusion at all. We and everything exists.
You said that in Advaita only Brahman exists, yes but Brahman is everything. Everything you see, including everything in the Universe Big Bang and all is part of Brahman, The Self or whatever you call it.
We don´t exist separately from everything else, but it does not mean that we don´t exist.

Maya

I agree with this completely. Well said.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
You said that in Advaita only Brahman exists, yes but Brahman is everything.
I believe Brahman as only Brahman and nothing else, everything other than that is manifested out of maya.

I´m Advaitin, and I believe in the Big Bang
I never said I don't believe in Big Bang, I only said that Big Bang was definitely not the moment of creation of all.

I don´t think we are illusion at all.
"We" is illusion, I is the only that exists in Advaita , that is why it's non dual. :)

atanu

Premium Member
...Space Time and nonexistence of existence actually does not exists even temporarily, and they appears to exist only due to maya of Saguna Brahman. What are your views??

Sumit

I think your thread title: Advaita: Nothing Exists but I is not correct. Advaita does not teach that.:)

This matter, probably, will better be discussed in some other forum and not in DIR. My opinion only.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I believe Brahman as only Brahman and nothing else, everything other than that is manifested out of maya.

If there is no duality, then how can there be an "everything other than..." which indicates there is something else? I believe Brahman is the One manifesting or giving the illusion of the many. In that way, the illusions are every bit as real as the Brahman out of which they manifest.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
If there is no duality, then how can there be an "everything other than..." which indicates there is something else? I believe Brahman is the One manifesting or giving the illusion of the many. In that way, the illusions are every bit as real as the Brahman out of which they manifest.
I already said in last post everything other than Brahman is illusion manifested out of Maya of Saguna Brahman.
I believe Brahman is the One manifesting or giving the illusion of the many. In that way, the illusions are every bit as real as the Brahman out of which they manifest.
Look at your two statements, you said "Brahman gives illusion of many" and than in next line you say illusions are real. Doesn't this prove Brahman are many??

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I never said I don't believe in Big Bang, I only said that Big Bang was definitely not the moment of creation of all.
Yes, if Brahman is eternal then something must have existed even before the Big-bang (they say it nothing exploded. Expansion came later - Inflation). Big-Bang may be just a phase. You can even listen it unfolding: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3706327-post25.html
I believe Brahman is the One manifesting or giving the illusion of the many. In that way, the illusions are every bit as real as the Brahman out of which they manifest.
They are, but form falsifies them. People get stuck at the form.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Sumit

I think your thread title: Advaita: Nothing Exists but I is not correct. Advaita does not teach that.:)

May be, May be not. :D

We have been seeing the following lately. This is the advaita that is to be known.

Mandukya 7
Turiya is not that which is conscious of the inner (subjective) world, nor that which is conscious of the outer (objective) world, nor that which is conscious of both, nor that which is a mass of consciousness. It is not simple consciousness nor is It unconsciousness. It is unperceived, unrelated, incomprehensible, un-inferable, unthinkable and indescribable. The essence of the Consciousness manifesting as the self in the three states, It is the cessation of all phenomena; It is all peace, all bliss and non—dual. This is what is known as the Fourth (Turiya). This is Atman and this has to be realized.

I do not see the "I" here. :)

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I already said in last post everything other than Brahman is illusion manifested out of Maya of Saguna Brahman.

Look at your two statements, you said "Brahman gives illusion of many" and than in next line you say illusions are real. Doesn't this prove Brahman are many??

I guess we are in agreement then. We just have a different way of putting into words the same understanding. :)

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
We have been seeing the following lately. This is the advaita that is to be known.

I do not see the "I" here. :)

It is all peace, all bliss and non—dual. This is what is known as the Fourth (Turiya). This is Atman and this has to be realized.
This is it.
Now can you explain how my stat is wrong, not to debate but just your views as I am new to advaita and this is blue dir. :D