• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adoption

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I really struggle with such things ...

I walk into a room with a $20 bill. There are two collection boxes on the table: one aimed as ending animal cruelty and the other aimed at ending child hunger.​

Whichever I choose, there are consequences, and I know of no way to exit the room fully comfortable.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Contribute to both - why is that insensitive?

I wonder if the post was read as,

"Come back with two personal bills of yours and pay them"

Rather than

"Come back with two 20's"

In which case, the word "bills" could be a misunderstanding, because it can mean multiple things.

As for the answer to the question - I liked your answer, but I'd answer with "Go back and forth. One time, contribute to one charity. Another time, contribute to the other."

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I wonder if the post was read as,

"Come back with two personal bills of yours and pay them"

Rather than

"Come back with two 20's"

In which case, the word "bills" could be a misunderstanding, because it can mean multiple things.

As for the answer to the question - I liked your answer, but I'd answer with "Go back and forth. One time, contribute to one charity. Another time, contribute to the other."
Strewth. I'm a Brit, "bills" isn't used to mean money (we say "notes"), I only used the word because @Jayhawker Soule did. So yeah, I meant return with the ability to contribute to both.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I liked both of the first posts by @Secret Chief and @Jayhawker Soule.

Contributing to multiple causes is a good thing, provided one has nearly unlimited resources. However, I can also understand how someone may be torn between two good causes. Does giving one's resources to one good cause take away from the other good cause? If you halve your resources between both good causes, are you thereby taking something away from both good causes?

I don't think that @Secret Chief was being "insensitive and thoughtless," and @Jayhawker Soule's original post (if I am interpreting it correctly) gave me something to think about.