• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adoption vs Abortion

Pah

Uber all member
Rex_Admin said:
Do you think adoption is a better alternative to abortion? And why?
Yes, if it is the choice of the woman. Because a baby is precious.

-pah-

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
It would be, if the numbers of people willing to adopt came anywhere close to approaching the number of unwanted pregnancies that occur each year.

Signed, an adoptive parent

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I favor adoption, but adoption by itself won't solve the abortion problem. If we are to reduce the number of abortions, we must look for many partial solutions that add up. Such as promoting the use of birth control, and the abolition of abstinence-only sexuality education.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Engyo said:
It would be, if the numbers of people willing to adopt came anywhere close to approaching the number of unwanted pregnancies that occur each year.
Signed, an adoptive parent
Engyo,
I envy you and admire you, at the same time. I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone that adopts. Your point that the number of people that are willing to adopt is miniscule compared to the number of unwanted pregnancies is important. This very idea was broached in another thread. I must say, that I wanted to adopt two children when I first got married, but my wife wanted to have two of our own. Since I am still married, you can jump to the conclusion that we had two of our own. I would still love to adopt a small child before I hit 60 years of age.

One position of the Prolife movement is that no woman should have an abortion, but rather, an unwanted child should be put up for adoption. I find this to be an incredibly hollow argument, until all people that take this position have adopted all the children in every orphanage around the globe (or at least have filed to adopt them). Of course, this will never happen, and the majority of children that are not pursued are those "less desirable" babies. Basically, as I see it, this particular argument boils down to this:
"You will NOT have an abortion, you MUST carry the fetus to term and deliver a baby into this world that you do not want to raise. The baby will be cared for through the process of adoption - unless, of course, no one else wants it either." :areyoucra

TVOR

skills101

Vicar of Christ
To be honest, I've not really decided which is better. Each has its pros and cons.

Adoption-
Pros- No one is killed. Human lives are preserved.
Cons- If those who are pro-choice turn to adoption, we would have huge future economical and resource problems. Woman must live 9 months carrying fetus.

Abortion-
Pros- Child will not have to live parentless or possible poverty or suffering. Helps future economical problems.
Cons- Killing of innocent life.

Now, to address the woman's right to chose - the fact is that it is not an inaliable right. It can be taken away, and because of this supbreme court issue, it probably will. But if people keep dropping babies like they are, and give them up for adoption, who knows what's going to happen. It's already estimated that by 2005, the world's population will reach 9 Billion. Just imagine what's going to happen if there are 46 million more babies each year.

Who knows? Maybe it'll be inspiration to get some birth control and read the instruction manual.

Reactions: Pah