• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adoption, Abortion, and Self

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Once born, it seems religion wants nothing to do with a child in dire straights.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Once born, it seems religion wants nothing to do with a child in dire straights.
It was religious people who started orphanages in the first place, especially Christians. There's millions of children in Christian orphanages and foster care, such as Catholic ones. The Catholic Church is also the world's biggest provider of social services for the needy.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It was religious people who started orphanages in the first place, especially Christians. There's millions of children in Christian orphanages and foster care, such as Catholic ones. The Catholic Church is also the world's biggest provider of social services for the needy.
religious people abuse. the church is notorious for harboring and aiding perpetrators; so its not just the biggest provider, its also one of the biggest perpetrators of abusers

if you do a census in the prisons most everyone chooses a belief system

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
religious people abuse. the church is notorious for harboring and aiding perpetrators; so its not just the biggest provider, its also one of the biggest perpetrators of abusers

if you do a census in the prisons most everyone chooses a belief system
You asked what people are doing to help kids. I answered and now you just want to crap on it. There's child abuse everywhere adults have authority over children. What is this thread really about?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There's abuse in schools, governments, universities, workplaces... so I guess we should just shut everything down.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You asked what people are doing to help kids. I answered and now you just want to crap on it. There's child abuse everywhere adults have authority over children. What is this thread really about?
You opened the door. The Catholic church has paid out millions at this point. They also fund millions in anti-abortion campaigns. When dealing with people, it seems the good and bad infiltrate ever point of an organization.

did you read the statistics about unadoptable girls. by the age of 21 70% are pregnant.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There's abuse in schools, governments, universities, workplaces... so I guess we should just shut everything down.
doesn't sound reasonable. but it goes to show that pretty is as pretty does. perps like to infiltrate large organizations to further their egos. there should be a body in every organization that is independent and regulates its members. holds them to a moral and ethical standard. kind of like a conscience body.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The first modem orphanage was set up to care for *white* children.

But consider Empress Faustina was known for organizing
charities for the poor and orphaned. I suggest she sponsored the first orphanage.

Yes the stories of catholic orphanages around the world keep coming back to haunt christianity, i believe its one of the reasons Christianity is in decline.

They do much good, they also do considerable harm

PureX

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be bragging on that, as those orphanages were notorious institutions for horrific abuse, even to the point of murder. It seems that whenever we gather children together that have no parents to advocate for them, the psychopaths and pedophiles come a-runnun' from far and wide. And the Church did basically NOTHING to keep them away from the kids. Instead, it hired them. And even worse, it protected them for many decades while they raped and tortured and abused children in those institutions by the thousands.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I guess so, according to the responses in this thread!
it would seem most of the people on this planet are religious but what is the service to service promoting self or service promoting service to all as self.

there is a problem. it shouldn't be turned into a christian organization, let alone some other. The ideal is to fix the problem not created a bigger one

Heyo

Veteran Member
Yes, the Catholic Church is a service provider for health care, child care and other social services. And they get paid just as every other provider.

Altfish

Veteran Member
They were the only organisations with enough money to be able to fund such things before governments realised they were essential.

Anti- abortinists care nothing for the child once born or the mother

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To all of those who find abortion deplorable, there are tons of children needing parents. Why are you worried about an unborn\unliving thing, when there are children needing a stable home and other basic needs?
Are you advocating for abortion because there are already too many children in the world who need homes?
Why not advocate for better birth control or celibacy?
Why not advocate for having the baby and giving it to a couple who cannot have their own children?

I am concerned about an unborn living thing because it has a soul and a right to life.

A Scientific View of When Life Begins

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There's abuse everywhere, but not everywhere has systemic abuse, where PR protects abusers and enforces silence from victims. It's by no means only churches, this is the same sort of problem going on with US police. But religious institutions have been given a lot of freedom to not have transparency, and its created vicious cycles which are far and away worse than schools, workplaces, etc, which have very real third party regulators which can get answers and enforce change.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There's abuse everywhere, but not everywhere has systemic abuse, where PR protects abusers and enforces silence from victims. It's by no means only churches, this is the same sort of problem going on with US police. But religious institutions have been given a lot of freedom to not have transparency, and its created vicious cycles which are far and away worse than schools, workplaces, etc, which have very real third party regulators which can get answers and enforce change.
That may be true, but there have been efforts at dealing with it, and I don't just think throwing out 'The Catholic Church is evil!!!' really helps. All boys schools are known to have systematic abuse here in the UK and nothing has really been done about that either. Ted Heath and his lot is a good example of this kind of thing.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That may be true, but there have been efforts at dealing with it, and I don't just think throwing out 'The Catholic Church is evil!!!' really helps. All boys schools are known to have systematic abuse here in the UK and nothing has really been done about that either. Ted Heath and his lot is a good example of this kind of thing.
I don't think 'thing bad' is a constructive argument either. But I also think calling the Catholic Church (and other institutions with long histories of abuse coverups like Watchtower org) out on the hypocrisy of a superficially pro-life, pro-humanitarian position while having anemic reformation to prevent systemic abuse is the same thing as just saying 'thing bad.'

Or putting early orphanages (which were more like child labor camps) into context to dispell this charitable historical view.