• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Addictions???

Dolphin

Is computting an addiction??? I suppose any obsesive behavior is an addiction. How do we cure such addictions??? Can the mind and body be damaged with such obsessive behavior??:help:

Hacker

I never heard of any self help groups like AA or what not for "computing" but YES it certainly can be addictive lol.:p

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Are you referring to time spent on the computer in general as being addictive? Or RF as being addictive? I can assure you that RF is indeed addictive and scientists are in the process of producing an RF Patch to help us cure this insidious disease. :)

Seems as though I read an article in the last year about the growing problem of computer addiction. I'll see if I can dig it up.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Addictions are when you lack control.

If you have control, nothing sticks to you that you do not allow. If you allow it, you assume responsibilty for doing so. Fully aware of the possibilites that will come from it.

x

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
Are you referring to time spent on the computer in general as being addictive? Or RF as being addictive? I can assure you that RF is indeed addictive and scientists are in the process of producing an RF Patch to help us cure this insidious disease. :)

Yes, I've heard that dreadful rumor as well, Chimpy, but I assure you the RF mod team is working night and day on an antidote to that patch, or else we would have to find another means of livelihood.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Anything can be an addiction. For me, I have to get on RF at least once a day, or I go through withdrawels. I also have to play my bass everyday, or I get similiar withdrawels, and will start moving my hands as if I am playing along with a song I know on bass if I hear it.

gnomon

Any activity you repeatedly engage in because you derive pleasure from it can be an addiction. It isn't always necessarily a bad thing.

And yes, it is somewhat addicting to come to these forums. I could be doing better things than reading about beauty queens in Bosnia or looking at pictures of cats posted by Becky. But hey, I'll be reading a Camus and thinking what question is Sunstone going to ask today?

astarath

gnomon said:
Any activity you repeatedly engage in because you derive pleasure from it can be an addiction. It isn't always necessarily a bad thing.

And yes, it is somewhat addicting to come to these forums. I could be doing better things than reading about beauty queens in Bosnia or looking at pictures of cats posted by Becky. But hey, I'll be reading a Camus and thinking what question is Sunstone going to ask today?

I would argue that pleasure isnt neccessary, there are people who have addictions that are not pleasurable.

I would say that an addicition is when someone takes a desire and indulges it to the point where the decision to indulge it becomes required by the body. When there is no longer a choice but the body switches into a subconscious desire then you have reached the point of addiction.

gnomon

astarath said:
I would argue that pleasure isnt neccessary, there are people who have addictions that are not pleasurable.

I would say that an addicition is when someone takes a desire and indulges it to the point where the decision to indulge it becomes required by the body. When there is no longer a choice but the body switches into a subconscious desire then you have reached the point of addiction.

Addiction does not require loss of choice. While common parlance might suggest otherwise the original meaning of the word addiction still applies today.

Pleasure is actually at the heart of addiction.

astarath

gnomon said:
Addiction does not require loss of choice. While common parlance might suggest otherwise the original meaning of the word addiction still applies today.

Pleasure is actually at the heart of addiction.

ad·dic·tion əˈdɪk
thinsp.png
ʃən/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-dik-shuh
thinsp.png
n
]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

A state of being enslaved or to lose the ability to control. Does not need pleasure in order to become habit forming

gnomon

astarath said:
ad·dic·tion əˈdɪk
thinsp.png
ʃən/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-dik-shuh
thinsp.png
n
]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

A state of being enslaved or to lose the ability to control. Does not need pleasure in order to become habit forming

That definition, other than being a new definition of addiction, really doesn't say anything about pleasure. All the common activities which are treated for being addictive do provide pleasure-drug addiction, gambling, sex. I note the definition states it is the cessation of the activity which causes trauma. It is the nature of addiction where the continued activity ceases to bring pleasure- be it a physical pleasure or filling a psychological need-and the addiction is continued to avoid either severe physical or psychological pain.

PureX

Veteran Member
Well, not to be the killjoy or anything, but as someone with real experience of addiction I have to say that spending time on the computer doesn't even come close to an actual addiction. Once again the American habit of hugely over-stating things is about to ruin the meaning of a perfectly good and functional term.

What you all experience regarding computer use is simply a habit. A habit is NOT an addiction.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Addiction definitely requires pleasure to start it off. But once the addiction takes hold, it can become un-pleasureable.

As for computer use, I feel it can be an addiction. An old flatmate couldn't find the motivation to go out and find work, because he spends every waking hour on World of Warcraft. He is also addicted to Coke (the drink, not the white powder)

I can easily spend a while not posting on a forum, but I enjoy it, it gives me a sense of satisfaction, and reinforces and expands my knowledge. That is the addicting part. The learning and developing that I do is addicting for me.

So, in that sense, the computer can be addicting, but I am not as addicted as some people..... :p