• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam was physically created before the plants and animals

Flat Earth Kyle

Genesis Chapter 2
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
4 ¶These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
8 ¶And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Personal Notes:
- Verse 5 mentions the time of reference (Before the plants were in the earth and before the plants had grown.)
-Verse 7 God created man
-Verse 8 After God created man he planted a garden in Eden and then God put the man whom he had (previously) formed in the garden.
Verse 9 After man was placed in the garden the plants then started to grow.
Verse 18 God creates the animals
Verse 22 God creates Woman

According to Genesis the order of physical creation is Man, plants, animals, woman. According to Genesis 2 the creation of the plants and animals in Genesis 1 must have been a spiritual creation for Genesis 2:5 states that the plants were created before they were in the earth and before they grew.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
According to Genesis 2 the creation of the plants and animals in Genesis 1 must have been a spiritual creation for Genesis 2:5 states that the plants were created before they were in the earth and before they grew.
...or it's a contradiction between two different creation stories.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Genesis Chapter 2
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
4 ¶These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
8 ¶And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Personal Notes:
- Verse 5 mentions the time of reference (Before the plants were in the earth and before the plants had grown.)
-Verse 7 God created man
-Verse 8 After God created man he planted a garden in Eden and then God put the man whom he had (previously) formed in the garden.

According to Genesis the order of physical creation is Man, plants, animals, woman. According to Genesis 2 the creation of the plants and animals in Genesis 1 must have been a spiritual creation for Genesis 2:5 states that the plants were created before they were in the earth and before they grew.

Chapter One has Man created on Day Six.
No names ....no law...no restrictions....no garden.

The previous days do seem to lack an order as we might expect.
That much I attribute to the lack of discovery and how the planet works.

Chapter Two is a story of selection and manipulation.

idav

Being
Premium Member

The order in chapter one is plants, fish and birds, land creatures, then man and female he created "them". There is no indication that he only produced one male. The account in chapter two of Adam and Eve is a separate creation event, a chosen few with there already being a population of animals and humans on the earth.

That verse 5 you mention is contradictory because it says god didn't send rain but water came from the ground so plants did manage to grow. Even in chapter one is says that vegetation did spring up once god separated the waters. To me it signifies the garden that god and verse 5 is saying that no plants or shrubs were planted or tilled or watered except for what managed to grow on it's own from the natural water flow.

IMO, the whole thing takes into account natural processes which it separates from times god intervened. Animals and humans evolved until the point God chose someone.

greentwiga

The plants of the field (and the beasts of the field) were created after Adam. Notice that wild beasts were a separate category. The only plants created after Mankind came into being were domesticated plants. Adam was the first farmer. Understanding that Gen 2 "of the field" was the ancient way of saying "domesticated" makes Gen 2 not contradict Gen 1, and fits science also. Gen 2:5 supports this by saying, "and there was no man to cultivate the ground." Cultivation is only needed for domestic plants. Similarly, thorns and thistles are only a problem for cultivation or farming.

Shermana

Heretic
Genesis Chapter 2

Personal Notes:
-Verse 7 God created man

This is a common problem with the interpretation which even drives the "Documentary Hypothesis". The issue is that no plants had grown up yet in "The land" where the garden was planted. The issue is that the word "land" means not the entire Earth but the garden of Eden. It would be silly to expect man to till all the "plants" of the "Entire earth". It's clearly referring to the specific location of the garden itself after the rest of creation was formed. Including other "men" preceding Adam of whom Cain built a city for and acquired a wife from. It is these translation and interpretation issues that entire (bogus) scholarly claims about the "P" and "E" source are drawn from. It's important to remember that there is no word for "Planet Earth", it is only ever "Land" when it says Eretz. When it says "The land" and "land", that may be an indicator due to the articulation whether its referring to land itself or a specific land.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Genesis 1:verse 11,12,13....

All things green are made and set in place....Day Three.

Obviously, this event is premature if you attempt Genesis...literally.
The sun moon and stars are set in place in Day Four.

Plant life as we know it cannot form without the seasons in motion.
Even primordial life would need the sun and moon in place.

So if your hoping to take Genesis literally.....too bad.

Consider the author.
He had no telescope or science method.
He was however, in the presence of God.

So did God mislead him? Do you actually think Genesis is dictation?
Or can you consider?...Genesis was written to the best of effort....
by it's author.

Perhaps you could also consider.
Life could be described as 'green'.
And life in the universe could take place anywhere.
THEN the formation of THIS solar system.

Flat Earth Kyle

I believe all life was spiritually created before it was physically created. I believe that the creation of life spoken of in days 1 through 5 were a spiritual creation, then oyn day 6 man was physically created and then he watched all of the plants and animals become physically created. No one knows just how long Adam was in the garden of Eden. I believe Adam was the first man upon the earth, the first flesh also.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe all life was spiritually created before it was physically created. I believe that the creation of life spoken of in days 1 through 5 were a spiritual creation, then oyn day 6 man was physically created and then he watched all of the plants and animals become physically created. No one knows just how long Adam was in the garden of Eden. I believe Adam was the first man upon the earth, the first flesh also.

I see the event on Day Six....and the event described in Chapter Two
as separate occasions.

Day Six.....Man as a species.
no names, no law, no restrictions, no garden.
'Go forth be fruitful and multiply.'
We did.

Chapter Two describes a manipulation to alter the body and spirit of Man.
It was done because the lesser form of Man had developed the ability to reach for food and evade predators.
No further evolution would take hold...none needed.
The ape (which many believe to be the lesser form) would have overpopulated the planet, without stepping up to what we are now.

Man was created to become unique in spirit.
The lesser form would is not likely to do so.

outhouse

Atheistically

what about the fact homo sapiens have been on the planet for 200,000 + years

how does that fit in with yout belief? do you denounce all science?

Awoon

Begining with an omnipresent , (that one being God in Genesis) then nothing is created by that omnipresent, it is only that omnipresent appearing as ALL the pieces.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Genesis Chapter 2

Personal Notes:
-Verse 7 God created man

Or, better, Gen. 1 and Gen. 2 are two completely different creation stories, and the one has nothing to do with the other, save subject matter.

Flat Earth Kyle

I see the event on Day Six....and the event described in Chapter Two
as separate occasions.

Day Six.....Man as a species.
no names, no law, no restrictions, no garden.
'Go forth be fruitful and multiply.'
We did.

Chapter Two describes a manipulation to alter the body and spirit of Man.
It was done because the lesser form of Man had developed the ability to reach for food and evade predators.
No further evolution would take hold...none needed.
The ape (which many believe to be the lesser form) would have overpopulated the planet, without stepping up to what we are now.

Man was created to become unique in spirit.
The lesser form would is not likely to do so.

As I before mentioned, I do not believe that mankind shares any kind of common ancestry with apes. I find it extremely fascinating studying many of the ancient artifacts in art history.

Venus_of_Brassempouy.jpg

This image is called the Venus of Brassempouy, it is a paleolithic sculpture dated to be sometime before 10,000 B.C. Another picture that has dated this far back is the Chauvet cave paintings.
chauvetpan.jpg

What both of these pieces of art tell me is that cave men were not stupid. I do not believe that these images were by any means made by apes. I believe most people today can not make art work like that if they tried.

More important than that is Genesis Chapter 3:20 which states
"And Adam called his wife’s name Eve; because she was the mother of all living." I feel this is a pretty strong indication that Adam and Eve were the first people to be physically created on this earth.

Even more important than that is if Apes are related to man why does not God ever refer to apes or any other animals to being his children. I see a strong line through out the scriptures that divides man from beast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flat Earth Kyle

what about the fact homo sapiens have been on the planet for 200,000 + years

how does that fit in with yout belief? do you denounce all science?

I can't say I've ever heard of any scientific research that claims that man has been on the planet for 200,000 + years.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As I before mentioned, I do not believe that mankind shares any kind of common ancestry with apes.
More important than that is Genesis Chapter 3:20 which states
"And Adam called his wife’s name Eve; because she was the mother of all living." I feel this is a pretty strong indication that Adam and Eve were the first people to be physically created on this earth.

Even more important than that is if Apes are related to man why does not God ever refer to apes or any other animals to being his children. I see a strong line through out the scriptures that divides man from beast.

A division has occurred...yes.
Someone had to be first....Adam and Eve.

Otherwise the lesser forms of life would have prevailed.

When it happened does not take away...it did happen.

Care to say why you assume God had nothing to do with it?

outhouse

Atheistically
I can't say I've ever heard of any scientific research that claims that man has been on the planet for 200,000 + years.

well would that not be, your own ignorance then?

because homo sapiens have been on the planet atleast 200,000 years, and our ancestors who looked very human like have been here for millions

this is a fact

outhouse

Atheistically
As I before mentioned, I do not believe that mankind shares any kind of common ancestry with apes. I find it extremely fascinating studying many of the ancient artifacts in art history

you should add to your education, one is never to old or young to learn.

evolution is a a fact and theory and there is no debate about human ancestors evolving.

What both of these pieces of art tell me is that cave men were not stupid. I do not believe that these images were by any means made by apes. I believe most people today can not make art work like that if they tried.

wow! im glad you understand that ape's did not make those paintings or carvings. your correct, man made them.

Even more important than that is if Apes are related to man why does not God ever refer to apes or any other animals to being his children.

because god has never penned a single word ever.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
you should add to your education, one is never to old or young to learn.

evolution is a a fact and theory and there is no debate about human ancestors evolving.

wow! im glad you understand that ape's did not make those paintings or carvings. your correct, man made them.

because god has never penned a single word ever.

So it is a matter of faith and not what is written?
So much for history.