• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve Equal Partners

Flat Earth Kyle

“Genesis 3:16 states that Adam is to ‘rule over’ Eve, but this doesn’t make Adam a dictator. … Over in ‘rule over’ uses the Hebrew bet, which means ruling ‘with,’ not ruling ‘over.’ … The concept of interdependent, equal partners is well-grounded in the doctrine of the restored gospel. Eve was Adam’s ‘help meet’ (Genesis 2:18). The original Hebrew for meet means that Eve was adequate for, or equal to, Adam. She wasn’t his servant or his subordinate.”

In the plan of happiness, man and woman play equally powerful and equally important roles. For the plan to work, each must hearken to the other. Before God, they stand as equals.

~Ensign, April 2013, Equal Partnership in Marriage

Last edited by a moderator:

Flat Earth Kyle

"Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled on by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

In my view, a fair explanation for this part of the story, that is usually unfortunately one that is often overlooked.

Great quote! :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
interestingly, it was only after man fell into sin that he began to rule over his wife. Before that, they were equal partners as you say, and God was the ruler of both of them. But when they left Eden, the man took on the role of Eves God and an improper dominating relationship began to develop between them. The man was no longer being governed by God, so he began to govern as if he had no authority above him. And when a sinful man thinks he has all authority, he will ultimately abuse it.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
However I try, I can not accept Adam and Eve as real People.
As such, I believe that neither men nor women have authority over the other.

As we have just experienced at Easter It was women who showed constancy and continuing faith in Jesus at his death, and who found the empty tomb. In reward Jesus first showed him self to Mary Magdalene that he was risen.
And it was Mary Magdalene who first brought this good news to the other apostles, who had been hiding themselves away in fear for their own safety.

Men have no reason to boast of their leadership or faith.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Since it is written that men are supposed to treat their wives the same as they treat their own bodies, I don't think men are supposed to rule over women.

cataway

1 Corinthians 11:3
''But I want YOU to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.''

by what authority does man have to tell the Christ what to do ? by what authority does the Christ have to tell God what to do ?

Skwim

Veteran Member
1 Corinthians 11:3
''But I want YOU to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.''

by what authority does man have to tell the Christ what to do ? by what authority does the Christ have to tell God what to do ?
Yeh! :fight: And by what authority does a woman have to tell a man what to do?

I say, silence them NOW!
images

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like the line in My Big Fat Greek Wedding when the father of the bride emphatically states he is the head of the house, and things will be done his way. After he leaves, the mother of the bride counters with "but the woman is the neck, and the head turns however the neck turns".

And then of course there is the conversation between an Athenian woman and a Spartan woman.
Athenian woman: "How is it that Spartan women can rule over Spartan men?"
Spartan woman: "Because only Spartan women give birth to Spartan men."

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
“Genesis 3:16 states that Adam is to ‘rule over’ Eve, but this doesn’t make Adam a dictator. … Over in ‘rule over’ uses the Hebrew bet, which means ruling ‘with,’ not ruling ‘over.’ … The concept of interdependent, equal partners is well-grounded in the doctrine of the restored gospel. Eve was Adam’s ‘help meet’ (Genesis 2:18). The original Hebrew for meet means that Eve was adequate for, or equal to, Adam. She wasn’t his servant or his subordinate.”

In the plan of happiness, man and woman play equally powerful and equally important roles. For the plan to work, each must hearken to the other. Before God, they stand as equals.

As someone else has hinted, I consider Adam and Eve, and the Garden of Eden as metaphorical, not literal, and that man and woman are equals in every sense.

However, I also consider women as the gate-keepers of sex and therefore hold the upperhand with regard to propagation of our species. That gives women a bit of an edge over us men who sometimes "think" with the wrong organ. :eek:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Lysistrata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (apparently I'm on a Greek kick today :D).

it is a comic account of one woman's extraordinary mission to end The Peloponnesian War. Lysistrata persuades the women of Greece to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace — a strategy, however, that inflames the battle between the sexes.

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
Lysistrata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (apparently I'm on a Greek kick today :D
........it is a comic account of one woman's extraordinary mission to end The Peloponnesian War. Lysistrata persuades the women of Greece to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace — a strategy, however, that inflames the battle between the sexes.

And as the story continues....

"with Reconciliation before them and the burden of sexual deprivation still heavy upon them, they quickly overcome their differences and retire to the Acropolis for celebrations."

I rest my case......

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd think the making up part would be more fun. :D :slap:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
interestingly, it was only after man fell into sin that he began to rule over his wife. Before that, they were equal partners as you say, and God was the ruler of both of them. But when they left Eden, the man took on the role of Eves God and an improper dominating relationship began to develop between them. The man was no longer being governed by God, so he began to govern as if he had no authority above him. And when a sinful man thinks he has all authority, he will ultimately abuse it.

Well said. :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The big assumption she makes is how immediate things were.
Where does it say Adam became dominiatave over Eve?

God told Eve that the man would do so as a consequence of his sin

Genesis 3:16 To the woman he said: “I shall greatly increase the pain of your pregnancy; in birth pangs you will bring forth children, and your craving will be for your husband, and he will dominate you.”

prior to this, Eve was off on her own doing her own thing in the garden while Adam was somewhere doing his own thing. She had a measure of independence from him...she certainly wasnt sitting at his feet catering to his every need.

But look at some cultures...women are kept locked indoors and are not permitted to act independently from their husbands. That is the sinful mans response to the woman making a bad decision. The domination began to prevent her making ANY decisions at all.

Flat Earth Kyle

God told Eve that the man would do so as a consequence of his sin

Genesis 3:16 To the woman he said: “I shall greatly increase the pain of your pregnancy; in birth pangs you will bring forth children, and your craving will be for your husband, and he will dominate you.”

prior to this, Eve was off on her own doing her own thing in the garden while Adam was somewhere doing his own thing. She had a measure of independence from him...she certainly wasnt sitting at his feet catering to his every need.

But look at some cultures...women are kept locked indoors and are not permitted to act independently from their husbands. That is the sinful mans response to the woman making a bad decision. The domination began to prevent her making ANY decisions at all.

Yeah, another place where our Bible's disagree
" 16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

As I said in my opening post

It appears you are the one who is not listening.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Since it is written that men are supposed to treat their wives the same as they treat their own bodies, I don't think men are supposed to rule over women.

I hope it is not written such, cause I definetely rule over my own body o_O .

Not that I would have great respect for such writtings anyways.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yeah, another place where our Bible's disagree
" 16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

As I said in my opening post

It appears you are the one who is not listening.

Wánting to rule with husband is hardly a punishment, unless it is a desire that is to be left unsatisfied. Y