• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actor Sean Connery has died (Age 90)

Laika

Premium Member
The news just broke on the Guardian a few minutes ago. Here is a summary.

1985.jpg

Sean Connery, the Scottish actor best known for his portrayal of James Bond, has died aged 90. The cause is not yet known.

He was admired by generations of film fans as the original and best 007, and went on to create a distinguished body of work in films such as The Man Who Would Be King, The Name of the Rose and The Untouchables.

Born Thomas Sean Connery in 1930, he grew up in the tough Fountainbridge area of Edinburgh and left school at 14 to work as a milkman for the Co-op. In 1948, he joined the Royal Navy, but was later discharged on medical grounds. He began bodybuilding aged 18, and got work as a life model, among many jobs, and entered the Mr Universe contest in 1953, though he did not win. Having been interested in acting for some time, Connery used his Mr Universe visit to London to audition for a stage version of South Pacific, and landed a role in the chorus.

For the full article see here: Sean Connery: James Bond actor dies aged 90
From the BBC: Sean Connery: James Bond actor dies aged 90
The Independent: Sir Sean Connery dies aged 90

He certainly had a good life and has left quite amount of acting and film work behind him. Personally I'll remember him from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I was just thinking about that a day or two ago and received an early whisper that Sean Connery will die soon! I thought that was bound to happen eventually!

I just had a dream of another ghost, Stan Lee, and he was asking people to buy certain copies or the rights to certain copies of comics he had written or contributed to so that his family could benefit from the money or royalties or something from those, and then it showed his family and stuff. lol, pretty weird dream out of nowhere.

90 is one of the oldest ages you can be expected to get these days, he must have had pretty good overall health to have lived so long. A lot of people die now from 60 to 80 something, but the life expectancy is supposedly increasing. A lot of people also die younger than 60 as well, but not as many as used to be the norm in the past! Life expectancy has been creeping up and lives have been lived longer with improvements in diet, lifestyle ease, and medicine (as well as medical technologies and treatments).

So congratulations to Sean Connery on living a long life, and being one of the most popularly influential actors and people who have had lots of great and memorable roles that I still remember and are all time favorites! The Real Film James Bond that was best and coolest of all!

Harrison Ford is another hugely influential actor who has similarly iconic roles and appearances in things I think.

So where Sean Connery is James Bond and Indiana Jones Dad and a bunch of other cool characters with unmemorable names like Marko Ramius, we have Harrison Ford as the iconic Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan (he could've been with Sean Connery again in the Hunt For Red October as Jack Ryan, but the role was given to Alec Baldwin in that case, but kind of interesting that Sean Connery and Harrison Ford share more than one film universe, and Sean Connery might have made a cool Count Dooku as well).

I think the most appropriate Sean Connery film in relation to this Forum though is, of course, ZARDOZ!

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Eternal rest grant unto him,
O Lord, and let perpetual light
shine upon him. May his soul and the souls
of all the faithful departed, through
the mercy of God, rest in peace, Amen.
:praying:

Well, Sean Connery undeniably lived a long, vibrant and full life, not to mention leaving a cinematic portfolio behind that will endure - especially his iconic portrayel of James Bond.

90 is a very good and ripe age (my own grandfather just turned 89 today).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Dang I'm just about out of actors and actresses.

All thats just about left now is Clint Eastwood.

(Looks at watch) Any minute now....

exchemist

Veteran Member
I remember my father, who used to take us as kids to see the early Bond movies, pointing out he looks like a dangerous man because he walks on the balls of his feet. I was delighted to read that he was, apparently, a tough guy in real life. There was an occasion when he was young and poor in Edinburgh, when six guys tried to steal his coat. He stopped them and they then followed him. So he turned and attacked them - and saw them all off! On another occasion, early in his acting career, he was confronted on-set by the jealous mobster boyfriend of the leading lady, brandishing a gun. The boyfriend apparently feared they might be having an affair*. Connery seized the man's arm, wrestled the gun from his hands and bundled him off. It's not surprising he made such a good Bond.

But he was of course far more than just Bond. He was a really good and professional actor, who started with nothing and did it all himself, through sheer seriousness of purpose. The last thing I saw him in was The Name of the Rose, in which he was completely convincing.

* Interestingly, there do not seem to be any stories about Connery having affairs, even though by all accounts he could have got into just about any woman's bed. He seems to be someone who didn't let the little head do the thinking for the big head. Respect!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember my father, who used to take us as kids to see the early Bond movies, pointing out he looks like a dangerous man because he walks on the balls of his feet. I was delighted to read that he was, apparently, a tough guy in real life. There was an occasion when he was young and poor in Edinburgh, when six guys tried to steal his coat. He stopped them and they then followed him. So he turned and attacked them - and saw them all off! On another occasion, early in his acting career, he was confronted on-set by the jealous mobster boyfriend of the leading lady, brandishing a gun. The boyfriend apparently feared they might be having an affair*. Connery seized the man's arm, wrestled the gun from his hands and bundled him off. It's not surprising he made such a good Bond.

But he was of course far more than just Bond. He was a really good and professional actor, who started with nothing and did it all himself, through sheer seriousness of purpose. The last thing I saw him in was The Name of the Rose, in which he was completely convincing.

* Interestingly, there do not seem to be any stories about Connery having affairs, even though by all accounts he could have got into just about any woman's bed. He seems to be someone who didn't let the little head do the thinking for the big head. Respect!
So he was a ****** but with class?

Awesome memorial/eulogy! That makes me like him even more!

I liked Marlon Brando less when hearing he was sort of unethical when it came to his relationships, and other favorites were Anthony Quinn, but more than Anthony Quinn when it comes to the person themselves, I like Michael Caine a lot and hear that he has always been faithful to his wife, which I always admire and think is very noble for people in positions where they might be constantly tempted or people are trying to get with them all the time for various reasons.

Anthony Quinn died a while ago, and there are some great actors from roughly around the same periods where Sean Connery was popular and active who are now likely to pass away pretty soon. I hate death!

Sean Connery stopped performing a little too soon for my tastes, but this may have been due to not liking how he was appearing on film anymore or something, whereas Michael Caine seems to be continuing past the period where Sean Connery had mainly stopped.

I also like Clint Eastwood a lot and find that he is a good person as well.

Sean seemed to be alright showing up on film even elderly while appearing tough still, but its possible he felt he looked too frail or something in later years and didn't want to appear as much, so contributed his voice instead to something at least but was mainly unseen. Maybe he just wanted to retire and start enjoying his privacy more.

His wife had a lot of loving things to say about him and affirming his masculinity, where she said also she loves how he smells, and that he smelled like "rocks" or "stones" or something, which I thought might have to do with smoking or something, I don't know what exactly she meant or what that smell was.

I think I heard a rumor possibly that he was also very cheap or miserly and not a good tipper, and this was extended to a stereotype regarding Scottish folks in general.

I always emulated and was fond of Sean Connery, ever since I was little, and when I thought my last name was Scottish, it was Sean Connery that gave me a sense of pride through association, who I also thought I might look like or look like in some ways.

Oh, another actor I like is Gregory Peck.

These guys are all sort of tied together in my mind, Gregory Peck, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Clint Eastwood, maybe throw in Gene Hackman who I also like a lot. Anthony Hopkins would probably get with this bunch as well. Christopher Plummer and John Hurt as well.

I connect Peter Fonda, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando maybe Peter O'Toole, Laurence Olivier, as their own set, maybe even throw in Frank Sinatra into this group, and Richard Burton, even Rod Steiger and even Orson Welles.

I connect Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, and Dustin Hoffman, Harvey Keitel as their own set

I have a whole set of connected (in my mind) actors related to maybe horror and comedic horror type films also. I guess it happens due to the types of films they frequent, roles they usually are playing, and periods of major activity.

Look at the All-Star Cast of Jesus of Nazareth:
Jesus of Nazareth (miniseries) - Wikipedia

Sean Connery wasn't in this mini-series though, and at the time it was made, was most likely a bigger star overall than these other actors, except maybe Laurence Olivier who was extremely respected. One just hearing the name "Laurence Olivier" and it sends for me a signal that I'm guaranteed an expert performance by a great actor.

In the case of Sean Connery, it was always exciting to hear he was in something, but the movies might be questionable in some ways, even though they are some of my favorites, like DragonHeart and Entrapment.

Costco was basically selling Sean Connery films for all the years my family was shopping there, and so I grew up with just constant Sean Connery and Harrison Ford and Kevin Costner a bit as well, all the James Bond films, Indiana Jones, and a whole gamut of Sean Connery stuff from the 90s and early 2000s. So many memories. Sho Many.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Awesome memorial/eulogy! That makes me like him even more!

I liked Marlon Brando less when hearing he was sort of unethical when it came to his relationships, and other favorites were Anthony Quinn, but more than Anthony Quinn when it comes to the person themselves, I like Michael Caine a lot and hear that he has always been faithful to his wife, which I always admire and think is very noble for people in positions where they might be constantly tempted or people are trying to get with them all the time for various reasons.

Anthony Quinn died a while ago, and there are some great actors from roughly around the same periods where Sean Connery was popular and active who are now likely to pass away pretty soon. I hate death!

Sean Connery stopped performing a little too soon for my tastes, but this may have been due to not liking how he was appearing on film anymore or something, whereas Michael Caine seems to be continuing past the period where Sean Connery had mainly stopped.

I also like Clint Eastwood a lot and find that he is a good person as well.

Sean seemed to be alright showing up on film even elderly while appearing tough still, but its possible he felt he looked too frail or something in later years and didn't want to appear as much, so contributed his voice instead to something at least but was mainly unseen. Maybe he just wanted to retire and start enjoying his privacy more.

His wife had a lot of loving things to say about him and affirming his masculinity, where she said also she loves how he smells, and that he smelled like "rocks" or "stones" or something, which I thought might have to do with smoking or something, I don't know what exactly she meant or what that smell was.

I think I heard a rumor possibly that he was also very cheap or miserly and not a good tipper, and this was extended to a stereotype regarding Scottish folks in general.

I always emulated and was fond of Sean Connery, ever since I was little, and when I thought my last name was Scottish, it was Sean Connery that gave me a sense of pride through association, who I also thought I might look like or look like in some ways.

Oh, another actor I like is Gregory Peck.

These guys are all sort of tied together in my mind, Gregory Peck, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Clint Eastwood, maybe throw in Gene Hackman who I also like a lot. Anthony Hopkins would probably get with this bunch as well. Christopher Plummer and John Hurt as well.

I connect Peter Fonda, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando maybe Peter O'Toole, Laurence Olivier, as their own set, maybe even throw in Frank Sinatra into this group, and Richard Burton, even Rod Steiger and even Orson Welles.

I connect Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, and Dustin Hoffman, Harvey Keitel as their own set

I have a whole set of connected (in my mind) actors related to maybe horror and comedic horror type films also. I guess it happens due to the types of films they frequent, roles they usually are playing, and periods of major activity.

Look at the All-Star Cast of Jesus of Nazareth:
Jesus of Nazareth (miniseries) - Wikipedia

Sean Connery wasn't in this mini-series though, and at the time it was made, was most likely a bigger star overall than these other actors, except maybe Laurence Olivier who was extremely respected. One just hearing the name "Laurence Olivier" and it sends for me a signal that I'm guaranteed an expert performance by a great actor.

In the case of Sean Connery, it was always exciting to hear he was in something, but the movies might be questionable in some ways, even though they are some of my favorites, like DragonHeart and Entrapment.

Costco was basically selling Sean Connery films for all the years my family was shopping there, and so I grew up with just constant Sean Connery and Harrison Ford and Kevin Costner a bit as well, all the James Bond films, Indiana Jones, and a whole gamut of Sean Connery stuff from the 90s and early 2000s. So many memories. Sho Many.
Yes Connery was very paranoid about money, it's true and there seem to be one or two rumours about marital violence. He had defects all right. But perhaps it is understandable when you consider where he came from, in an Edinburgh tenement with no bath and a toilet shared with two other families, and that he left school at 13.

Yes Connery was very paranoid about money, it's true and there seem to be one or two rumours about marital violence. He had defects all right. But perhaps it is understandable when you consider where he came from, in an Edinburgh tenement with no bath and a toilet shared with two other families, and that he left school at 13.

Absolutely, it totally makes sense with that background and trauma. I think his is an absolutely amazing success story overall and a hope for all people, just like I often still remind myself that Harrison Ford had a late start and that I still might stand a chance!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To the real James Bond, RIP, dude.

I often give flowers in sympathy,
but in this case it seems inappropriate....
s-l640.jpg

So instead I offer....
haggiswhiskey.jpg