• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Acknowledging Jesus Christ

mattp

angellous_evangellous said:
What about the mentally diabled or stupid people?

If God accepts stupid people - and there are a lot of idiots out there - why not those who have made honest mistakes about their thinking of God?

Being a christian you should know that God is Love, so of course the mentally handicapped are not going to be held accountable! If you have made honest mistakes even dishonest mistakes you must repent and turn around. A true christian will not take advantage of Christs sacrifice.

mattp

As for John 17.3, there is no indication that Jesus [John] must be interpreted as you have done. Everlasting life is knowing God - but there is no indication whatsoever that the only way to know God is to believe a certain way now. God reserves the right to reveal Godself to whoever God chooses whenever God chooses.

Ephesians 4:1-6 shows christians that there is in fact one Lord one faith and one baptism. And again Romans 10:2 says that they will have zeal for God but not based on accurate knowledge.

may

beckysoup61 said:
May, that in no way answered my question. If you expect to quote scriptures, please explain why you quoted them and how the are related to the original post please.
Jesus plays a very very big part in Jehovahs purpose for the earth. Jesus has been made king of Gods heavenly kingdom goverment and there is no salvation in anyone else . but it is also important that we take in knowledge about Jesus father , who is Jehovah God. as John 17;3 tells us.
This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ

may

Ezzedean said:
I'm not exactly sure where in the bible this is, but I will get an exact verse and line later, but there it says that there will be a time when man will come to Jesus and say " I prayed in your name, I healed in your name, and I prayed to the father in your name, why have I been condemned? and it says that Jesus' reply is "I didn't even know you". This is written in the Bible, and I find it very interesting to see something like that. That goes to show you that a lot of people are following the way of Christ incorrectly.
true, i agree i think the bible does tell us that many will be following him in the wrong way . so what did Jesus tell his followers to be doing? i think the last thing he told them to be doing was this in matthew 28;19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things

may

mattp said:
I believe what May was trying to say is that according to John 17:3 the only way to attain ever lasting life is to have the knowledge of God and Jesus. What kind of knowledge you ask? Accurate knowledge. Romans 10:1-4:)
yes , thats about it :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
According to the USCCB (http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/matthew/matthew10.htm)

32 Everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father. 33 But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my heavenly Father. Explains it this way:-
[32-33] In the Q parallel (Luke 12:8-9), the Son of Man will acknowledge those who have acknowledged Jesus, and those who deny him will be denied (by the Son of Man) before the angels of God at the judgment. Here Jesus and the Son of Man are identified, and the acknowledgment or denial will be before his heavenly Father.
I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God.

But whoever denies me before others will be denied before the angels of God.

A

angellous_evangellous

mattp said:
Ephesians 4:1-6 shows christians that there is in fact one Lord one faith and one baptism. And again Romans 10:2 says that they will have zeal for God but not based on accurate knowledge.

Niether one of these verses indicate that if one does not have accurate knowledge of God that Jesus will deny this person before the Father.

The fact that there is only one Baptism, one Lord, and one God is not affected whatsoever by inaccurate or accurate belief.

I can't imagine why you would contradict yourself with Romans 10.2.

A

angellous_evangellous

mattp said:
Being a christian you should know that God is Love, so of course the mentally handicapped are not going to be held accountable! If you have made honest mistakes even dishonest mistakes you must repent and turn around. A true christian will not take advantage of Christs sacrifice.

Obviously, many of us don't even know our honest and dishonest mistakes, in which case we can hope that God is merciful.

If God does not have mercy, then there is no hope for any of us, especially arrogant Christians.

Bishka

Veteran Member
logician said:
The supposed Jesus never existed, a myth, like all religion's gods.

That's not what I was asking, so why don't you stick to the topic instead of just bringing in a randomn opinion of yours, why don't you?

dan

Obviously, many of us don't even know our honest and dishonest mistakes, in which case we can hope that God is merciful.

Do you really think God would punish us from sins we had no idea we were committing?

blueman

God's Warrior
beckysoup61 said:
So does this mean that if someone confesses a belief in Christ which is different then yours --for example, you believe in the Trinity, and they believe in three seperate members of the Godhead, that Jesus Christ will not confess them before their Father in Heaven? And why not?

What must someone confess in order for Jesus Christ to confess them before the Father?
Your reading way too much into this verse. Jesus is speaking about the acknowledgement of Him as Saviour and Lord. We have a relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ and as a result, Christ always intercedes on our behalf to the God The Father.

blueman

God's Warrior
beckysoup61 said:
Am I now?
Yes, you are. Rather than go off in tangents regarding divergence among some religious beliefs, Jesus made it quite simple to us regarding His promise in this passage.

Bishka

Veteran Member
blueman said:
Yes, you are. Rather than go off in tangents regarding divergence among some religious beliefs, Jesus made it quite simple to us regarding His promise in this passage.

I know that, please don't take me as ignorant, I am trying to get a discussion, a debate going here, not ground it to a halt, but one's person absolutle correct interpretation.:areyoucra

blueman

God's Warrior
beckysoup61 said:
I know that, please don't take me as ignorant, I am trying to get a discussion, a debate going here, not ground it to a halt, but one's person absolutle correct interpretation.:areyoucra
That's fine, but the danger is that people miss the message because it becomes confusing after a long thread of discussion and debate regarding what Jesus made so relatively simple.