• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Achieving Unity Could Be Easier Than We Think

PureX

Veteran Member
Here's a story from a friend of mine ...

When my father built his house in the suburbs when I was a kid - I don't know why they called it the suburbs, there were no urbs, we were five miles from the little college town where he taught - I had to go to the public elementary school in the country. I'd gone to a private elementary school in town when we lived there before that. At Meriwether Lewis Elementary School in the county I went to school with all the people who rampaged through the capital last week when they were eight. After I'd been there awhile the older boys used to come to me and say, "Jim (another boy my size, I was a little guy) says you are a *****. He wants to meet you behind the school when school is over before the buses come and fight you." I'd tell them I'd be there, and all day long I'd fume over some other kid I didn't know calling me names. At the end of the school day I ran around to the back of the big white plantation-looking building with white columns and everything that was the school and there I found a circle of older boys with the guy who insulted me in the middle. We'd fight. I'd always win. I had three fights. Before the third fight I'd seen Jim West on the TV Show The Wild Wild West punch a guy in the face with a right cross. Little boys fight by putting their heads down and furiously punching each other in the gut until one quits. At this last fight I got tired of doing that and I punched the other kid in the face with a right cross. He went down immediately and I jumped on him and kept hitting him until the older boys pulled me off and the fight was over and I had to run for the bus to get the ride home. I'd been shocked at how effective hitting someone in the face was but the real reason it was my last fight is I talked to the other kid later and asked him why he had called me a *****. He said, "I didn't call you a *****. They said you called me a *****." And that's when I realized I'd been set up. The older boys were setting up younger boys to fight behind the school. I never fell for it again.

Fast forward to forty years later. My mother had died and my father remarried a year later. He married a nice women. Friends put them together. Her husband had died three years before. The way they did the wedding is they married at the courthouse with the justice of the peace and then had a party at their country club where they announced it to all their friends. We went. Me, my wife, and son. While everyone else went to the country club to greet people coming to the party, I sat with my dad and his best man at his best man's house across the street from the club waiting for the all-clear signal that everyone was there. I was sitting in the basement of a nice house with my father and this other man. We were all in our suits. Dad was very nervous. When we came in we walked by a little room with a french horn, a music stand, and a chair in it. His best man said, "My wife only lets me play my french horn down here." It is kind of cute the way these poor men who fought the Nazis and then came home to make successes of themselves deferred to their wives. Where I grew up the house is always the wife's house. As we sat waiting, my dad sitting in his chair crouched over in concern with his hands clasped between his knees waiting for the appointed hour, I told them the story of having to fight behind the school when I was a boy. When I was done, to my astonishment my dad said, "Yep, they did that to me when I was a boy too."
All we need to do is realize that we're being set up. The "big boys" want to see us fighting with each other for their own amusement and profit. And they are using the media to spread insults and slander between and among us, to get us all "fuming" at each other.

So let's just stop falling for it! Let's just ignore the lies and hyperbole and agree that we all want basically the same things in life. And fighting with each other is not one of them.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
All we need to do is realize that we're being set up. The "big boys" want to see us fighting with each other for their own amusement and profit. And they are using the media to spread insults and slander between and among us, to get us all "fuming" at each other.

So let's just stop falling for it! Let's just ignore the lies and hyperbole and agree that we all want basically the same things in life. And fighting with each other is not one of them.
I agree

BUT

The "big boys" will never allow "us" to revolt against their plan of amusement and profit (esp. profit ... they create their amusement anyway). "Bread and Games" it's called. Keep us too busy to revolt and use brains for our benefit ... they prefer to think for us. For centuries The Church has done it, threatening with Hell and promising Heaven, if we pay indulgence to the Church.

Now nuclear weapons (US vs Russia) is one Hell (and paying taxes) or maybe corona/vaccine or ... just keep the games going

Not easy though to create unity with all these religions doing the opposite of unity, claiming my religion is better than yours. And I clearly see the media playing a big part in this now; social media too. The "like system" keeps the people hooked and too stoned to revolt.

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
Said the man right before they nailed him to a cross.

Audie

Veteran Member
Here's a story from a friend of mine ...

When my father built his house in the suburbs when I was a kid - I don't know why they called it the suburbs, there were no urbs, we were five miles from the little college town where he taught - I had to go to the public elementary school in the country. I'd gone to a private elementary school in town when we lived there before that. At Meriwether Lewis Elementary School in the county I went to school with all the people who rampaged through the capital last week when they were eight. After I'd been there awhile the older boys used to come to me and say, "Jim (another boy my size, I was a little guy) says you are a *****. He wants to meet you behind the school when school is over before the buses come and fight you." I'd tell them I'd be there, and all day long I'd fume over some other kid I didn't know calling me names. At the end of the school day I ran around to the back of the big white plantation-looking building with white columns and everything that was the school and there I found a circle of older boys with the guy who insulted me in the middle. We'd fight. I'd always win. I had three fights. Before the third fight I'd seen Jim West on the TV Show The Wild Wild West punch a guy in the face with a right cross. Little boys fight by putting their heads down and furiously punching each other in the gut until one quits. At this last fight I got tired of doing that and I punched the other kid in the face with a right cross. He went down immediately and I jumped on him and kept hitting him until the older boys pulled me off and the fight was over and I had to run for the bus to get the ride home. I'd been shocked at how effective hitting someone in the face was but the real reason it was my last fight is I talked to the other kid later and asked him why he had called me a *****. He said, "I didn't call you a *****. They said you called me a *****." And that's when I realized I'd been set up. The older boys were setting up younger boys to fight behind the school. I never fell for it again.

Fast forward to forty years later. My mother had died and my father remarried a year later. He married a nice women. Friends put them together. Her husband had died three years before. The way they did the wedding is they married at the courthouse with the justice of the peace and then had a party at their country club where they announced it to all their friends. We went. Me, my wife, and son. While everyone else went to the country club to greet people coming to the party, I sat with my dad and his best man at his best man's house across the street from the club waiting for the all-clear signal that everyone was there. I was sitting in the basement of a nice house with my father and this other man. We were all in our suits. Dad was very nervous. When we came in we walked by a little room with a french horn, a music stand, and a chair in it. His best man said, "My wife only lets me play my french horn down here." It is kind of cute the way these poor men who fought the Nazis and then came home to make successes of themselves deferred to their wives. Where I grew up the house is always the wife's house. As we sat waiting, my dad sitting in his chair crouched over in concern with his hands clasped between his knees waiting for the appointed hour, I told them the story of having to fight behind the school when I was a boy. When I was done, to my astonishment my dad said, "Yep, they did that to me when I was a boy too."

Agreed. You got 2 sports teams using your
nation as its gaming field.

tytlyf

Not Religious
You're being setup alright, but it's overwhelmingly coming from the GOP. One party has to rely on fooling people into supporting policies that wouldn't benefit them.
So emotional trickery is utilized. It's not like CNN and Fox are working together on the division.
The division is mostly 1 sided and that's strictly due to politics. Tricking as many people in America into supporting policies that hurt them. That takes devotion and talent.

That's all it is.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
That would be an excellent way of perceiving it. If only we humans could rise above our egotism, and it's drive to always maintain a delusion of self-righteousness.
I believe we ease the pain of separation by banding together with others

But I think it is an easy trap to fall into
to believe we unify only with 'good people'
and cast out the 'bad people'

and to assuage the pain we cause with this
we commit ever greater cruelties
against 'bad people'

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Serious question. Who honestly believes there will be enduring unity without changing the way wealth is redistributed in America? That is, making changes that are at least as meaningful as the changes in wealth redistribution the New Deal made in the early 30s. If there's anyone who believes enduring unity can be achieved without changes of about the same or greater scope and magnitude, I'd like to know their reasoning and some indication, please, of what kind of evidence supports their reasoning.

Audie

Veteran Member
Serious question. Who honestly believes there will be enduring unity without changing the way wealth is redistributed in America? That is, making changes that are at least as meaningful as the changes in wealth redistribution the New Deal made in the early 30s. If there's anyone who believes enduring unity can be achieved without changes of about the same or greater scope and magnitude, I'd like to know their reasoning and some indication, please, of what kind of evidence supports their reasoning.

The way its redistributed, or distributed.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Please do not forget at a moment like this one information such as the recent RAND study that found the average American worker would be making $102,000 per year today if the current system were not redistributing 2.5 trillion dollars each year out of the pockets of the middle and lower classes and into the pockets of the top 1% wealthiest people in America. It is key to solving the problems we face that we do not forget these things as a nation. Absolutely key.

‘We were shocked’: RAND study uncovers massive income shift to the top 1%

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
What do you mean by your term?
To me-
Redistribute means take away from someone and give it to someone else.
Zero sum game.
For some reason I oppose that.
If I buy stuff, I give my money to someone else.
If I get what I asked for
isn't that a zero sum?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do you mean by your term?
To me-
Redistribute means take away from someone and give it to someone else.
Zero sum game.
For some reason I oppose that.

Thanks. I see. Well, redistribution is exactly what's
happening and it has been happening for the past 40
years at least. The flow has mostly been from bottom 90%
of the population to the top 1%. That is, from the relatively
poorer people to the wealthiest of the wealthiest.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I buy stuff, I give my money to someone else.
If I get what I asked for
isn't that a zero sum?

I think you're missing the point, my friend.
Think more in terms of such things as tax cuts on
the country's wealthiest individuals and corporations.
A minimum wage that has not kept pace with growth
in GDP. Overall stagnant or near stagnant wages for
certain economic classes of Americans.

Stuff like that. Lots of stuff like that.

Those things are mostly the direct consequences of economic
policies created and implemented over the past 40 or
so years. They are not 'random'. They are not 'spontaneous'.
They have been created by the Government, Federal
Reserve, etc.