• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Acetaminophen Induces Risky Behavior, Study Finds

We Never Know

No Slack
Who would have thought that as much as its used.

"One of the most consumed drugs in the US – and the most commonly taken analgesic worldwide – could be doing a lot more than simply taking the edge off your headache, according to scientists.

Acetaminophen, also known as paracetamol and sold widely under the brand names Tylenol and Panadol, also increases risk-taking, according to a study published in 2020 that measured changes in people's behavior when under the influence of the common over-the-counter medication.

"Acetaminophen seems to make people feel less negative emotion when they consider risky activities – they just don't feel as scared," neuroscientist Baldwin Way from The Ohio State University explained last year."

"With nearly 25 percent of the population in the US taking acetaminophen each week, reduced risk perceptions and increased risk-taking could have important effects on society."

The findings add to a recent body of research suggesting that acetaminophen's effects on pain reduction also extend to various psychological processes, lowering people's receptivity to hurt feelings, experiencing reduced empathy, and even blunting cognitive functions."

Full story here..
https://www-sciencealert-com.cdn.am...-the-world-induces-risky-behavior-study-finds

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I looked over the studies, not surprisingly, they used convenience samples: undergrads, average age 19 years old. Talk about a demographic known for risky behavior. :)

They combined three studies to get a significant difference; not all the studies produced significant differences on several different tests of risk-taking or perception of risk.

Would it impact someone enough to consider not driving while under the influence of Tylenol? I'm doubtful.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I looked over the studies, not surprisingly, they used convenience samples: undergrads, average age 19 years old. Talk about a demographic known for risky behavior. :)

They combined three studies to get a significant difference; not all the studies produced significant differences on several different tests of risk-taking or perception of risk.

Would it impact someone enough to consider not driving while under the influence of Tylenol? I'm doubtful.

Great points. At 19-year old brains are not yet fully mature. Given what is known Maturation of the adolescent brain I'm only a tiny bit surprised at the finding.

We Never Know

No Slack

Here's another one from ncbi about the hype of it.

"The conclusions presented in the article by Keaveney et al. were largely overgeneralized and further perpetuated in the media. The limitations of the study were not included in the paper, leading readers to conclude that these findings were relevant and applicable to their everyday lives. Media articles often further dramatized these findings, presenting the potential correlation as fact and generalizable to all situations. Readers reviewing these media articles were likely falsely persuaded of the definitive risks of acetaminophen use after reading titles such as ‘The most common pain relief drug in the world induces risky behavior, study suggests’ (Dockrill, 2020) and ‘Study finds acetaminophen makes people more likely to take risks’ (Anson, 2020). As scientists, we need to assure that the discussions and conclusions highlight such limitations of studies and work to assure that the public does not sensationalize preliminary and limited research results.

Comment on ‘effects of acetaminophen on risk taking’

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Here's another one from ncbi about the hype of it.

"The conclusions presented in the article by Keaveney et al. were largely overgeneralized and further perpetuated in the media. The limitations of the study were not included in the paper, leading readers to conclude that these findings were relevant and applicable to their everyday lives. Media articles often further dramatized these findings, presenting the potential correlation as fact and generalizable to all situations. Readers reviewing these media articles were likely falsely persuaded of the definitive risks of acetaminophen use after reading titles such as ‘The most common pain relief drug in the world induces risky behavior, study suggests’ (Dockrill, 2020) and ‘Study finds acetaminophen makes people more likely to take risks’ (Anson, 2020). As scientists, we need to assure that the discussions and conclusions highlight such limitations of studies and work to assure that the public does not sensationalize preliminary and limited research results.

Comment on ‘effects of acetaminophen on risk taking’

Good find. Very good, I was indeed surprised not to see limitations sections in any of the three studies.

And media hype? Tell me it ain't so.... :D

Now how many people will avoid taking needed pain relief due to fear of making a risky decision while driving. :(

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
lowering people's receptivity to hurt feelings
I'm going to start taking that stuff, and damn my kidneys to hell.

"Acetaminophen seems to make people feel less negative emotion when they consider risky activities – they just don't feel as scared," neuroscientist Baldwin Way from The Ohio State University explained last year."
Finally I will learn to skateboard! Tylenol where have you been all my life!!!