• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Accusing Others of "Whining"....Should It Be Allowed on RF?

Should we ban accusations of "whining".

• Total voters

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'd say it depends whether or not these accusations are justified and true. Sometimes, people are describing reality as it is, that's not "whining." That's just calling "pig" a "pig". Other times, people just lie about others "whining" most likely to provoke them, now that's unacceptable. False accusations should be banned.

It highly depends on the context. I've been accused of being defensive and was only eating pizza and watching the birds. I thought someone else was defensive and found out they were just coming back from watching their kids.

So, unless it's blatant and approached respectfully, I'm not sure how much it that would help.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
But now you know that I was showing you affection.
(This might not be better for you.)
I like the fact that even though I despise every fibre of your body and every thing that you stand for, I still feel able to interact with you. You're a lovely bloke.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Maybe instead of an out right ban, just post "hey guys! It's getting heated in here" as a warning. Approach the guilty to clarify the intentions, warn the guilty of proper conduct, answer questions to clarify misunderstandings, if push comes to shove, issue the ban.

But whining, I think that's subjective, honestly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Makes it seem that so long as make your insults as childish sounding as possible, it is fine and dandy.....
I limit the "poopy head" term to those who would infer mirth.
(Note everyone here gets my sugar.)
By doing so, I strive to keep the spirit of the forum.

Years ago, staff asked me if I were offended when @Wirey called me
a "jerk". I explained that we've long been friends...since before RF.
And if he didn't call me a jerk, I'd think we were estranged.
So moderators have their work cut out for them. I certainly don't
want their job, no matter how great the pay & bennies.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One rule: No whining in this thread.
(Sorry...couldn't resist.)
Ugghhh! You smell like hagis, I can't understand your "aaooocchhhh gooccghhh" ridden accent, I don't feel good and you're poking the bear and making him roar, and your yellow skin is making me feel weird today.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ugghhh! You smell like hagis, I can't understand your "aaooocchhhh gooccghhh" ridden accent, I don't feel good and you're poking the bear and making him roar, and your yellow skin is making me feel weird today.
If more posters would emulate your friendly & civil approach
to the issues, RF would be a poster's paradise.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a common thing here.
It flared up this very morn. It wasn't pretty.
I say that it's pure hostility.
And those accused take it that way, leading to digression into personal animosity.
We've banned accusations of lying. I propose banning accusations of whining.

What say y'all?

"Whining" is definitely not a positive term. It's similar to when little kids are fighting and one of them says "Oh, look at the little baby, he's about to cry." It can be considered verbally abusive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Whining" is definitely not a positive term. It's similar to when little kids are fighting and one of them says "Oh, look at the little baby, he's about to cry." It can be considered verbally abusive.
"Can be"?
Well, aren't you the master of under-statement today!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Oh goodie. Let's have a debate full of whining about what is whining or not including, of course, that famous negative Scots character "No True Whining" .

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Oh yes, the next time someone posts something about Trump winning or election fraud, I can report them for whining.

Maybe I should change my vote to yes.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Psh! I complain about myself whining on RF, I don't need the moderators to do it for me.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
And those accused take it that way, leading to digression into personal animosity.

What say y'all?

One rule: No whining in this thread. (Sorry...couldn't resist.)
RF Rules take care of this already, is it not?

They should say "IMHO (or IMO or ...) you are whining now" according to RF Rule #8
They should never say "IMO you are a whiner" unless they want to expose their lack of being sensible
8. Preaching/Proselytizing
Creating (or linking to) content intended to convert/recruit others to your religion, spirituality, sect/denomination, or lack thereof is not permitted. Similarly, attempting to convert others away from their religion, spiritual convictions, or sect/denomination will also be considered a form of preaching. Stating opinions as a definitive matter of fact (i.e., without "I believe/feel/think" language, and/or without references) may be moderated as preaching.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hmmm... Accusing someone of whining outright doen't really accomplish anything other than to try to bring someone down. There's no exchange of thought or perspective, and at that point just becomes about "winning," whatever that means on an online forum.

At the same time, people can be evasive, and calling someone out on that evasiveness can bring into focus a point one tries to make.

I think when it boils down to it, it's about context and tact.

Cooky

Veteran Member

What say y'all?

...I don't know, Rev. I remember there were some people who at least every other day used to post a thread on Trump, and complain all day long.

Would you be willing to differentiate notifying people about their tendencies to "constantly complain" as different than accusing one of "whining"..?