• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to the Bible

shmogie

therefore, the Bible assumes we are all bisexual. For only a bisexual can believe we can choose at will. By definition.

when did you choose to be heterosexual (assuming you are), for instance? Was it a hard-to-take choice?

ciao

- viole
The Bible says that we are all the sex that we were born as. The Bible says that sex is for procreation. It says that the the design of the body is for that purpose. It says that sex is only appropriate between a man and woman.

The OP asked about the Biblical view.

I said a person CAN be whatever they choose, if they choose to live differently than within the Bible parameters, they are free to do so.

I know a homosexual who decided to accept those parameters, and lives a celibate life.

I know of others who renounced that lifestyle, and married the opposite sex and have children.

You believe that people are born with an inherent compulsion to be a homosexual, though science doesn't seemed to support this to this point.

No matter, the Biblical view was asked for, and I gave it.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The Bible says that we are all the sex that we were born as. The Bible says that sex is for procreation. It says that the the design of the body is for that purpose. It says that sex is only appropriate between a man and woman.

The OP asked about the Biblical view.

I said a person CAN be whatever they choose, if they choose to live differently than within the Bible parameters, they are free to do so.

I know a homosexual who decided to accept those parameters, and lives a celibate life.

I know of others who renounced that lifestyle, and married the opposite sex and have children.

You believe that people are born with an inherent compulsion to be a homosexual, though science doesn't seemed to support this to this point.

No matter, the Biblical view was asked for, and I gave it.
Wait a second, you are now confusing sexual orientation with sexual conduct.

So, let’s first settle that: do you agree that sexual orientation is NOT a choice?

ciao

- viole

shmogie

Wait a second, you are now confusing sexual orientation with sexual conduct.

So, let’s first settle that: do you agree that sexual orientation is NOT a choice?

ciao

- viole
By Biblical standards,I do not agree.

SaintUriah

The Lord and His Prophets have nothing to do with matter

Yes clergyman some of them worse than Satan him selfe

Why we make them part of holyHomosexual them
It is the work of the people of Lot
They want the guest they met

The debt is innocent

should not follow a blind person i Religion worse than in road

shmogie

so, by Biblical Standards, whatever that means, did you choose your sexual orientation? Was it hard?

ciao

- viole
No choice involved, no more than a bird chooses to fly. It is natural for a bird to fly, because it's anatomy is designed for it to fly.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No choice involved, no more than a bird chooses to fly. It is natural for a bird to fly, because it's anatomy is designed for it to fly.

ok, so sexual orientation is not a choice, right?

ciao

- viole

Muffled

Jesus in me
There is no "BC definition". There is only a 21st century interpretation of an ancient text; an interpretation based on modern history and experience.

I have never heard anyone question the definition BC or otherwise.

Muffled

Jesus in me
behave and feel.

1Co 6:17 KJV But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

I suppose this would apply to homosexuals as well:
1Cor 6:16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.”

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe there is no such thing. A person either commits homosexual sin or he doesn't.

Do you think that a person is defined by the acts that he commits?
For example, killing someone would "make" that person a murderer.

Thank you for understanding the question.

Iymus

I suppose this would apply to homosexuals as well:
1Cor 6:16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.”

Consider context.

If we speak truth then we are joined unto the Father of Truth.

If we speak lies then we are joined unto the Father of Lies.

Our words, actions, and conduct along with intention; determine who we are joined unto.
------------------------------------------------

Precepts are Instructions. Thru Instructions we determine intent and the understanding of obedience along with it's purpose.

Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Psa 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

---------------------------------------------

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Lev 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

shmogie

ok, so sexual orientation is not a choice, right?

ciao

- viole
Obviously, the design of the bodies of men, and women, are designed for sex with one another. The sex of a person is determined genetically, and except for some very rare cases, is determined at birth.

"Sexual orientation" can be different from the birth established sex. Your question is why, and the answer is not scientifically or psychologically clear. The mantra that people are born as homosexuals simply has not been proven.

For those who are evolutionists, and believe the survival of it's species is the primary goal of every creature, homosexuality seems to be an evolutionary dead end, to me.

Is there some hormonal or other physical cause ? No one knows for sure.

For a long, long time it was thought to be an aberrant psychological condition, but now isn't.

Following this argument, someone who, say, is a necrophiliac, can say they were born as they are.

Is it brought about by environment, or the composition of the family, or an overbearing father, or an overbearing mother, no one knows.

I can't tell you if it is a choice, or not.

I certainly believe everyone who is inclined this way has the right to live as they choose, it is none of my business.

I have no phobia of them, I do not hate them, and many have made strong contributions to society.

In fact Paul in the New Testament makes it emphatically clear that those in the Church, have no business judging anyone in any way outside the Church for non criminal behaviors that are not acceptable in the Church. These behaviors, the acts, are judged within the Church, yet no one can judge the soul of any person.

I do not know why God frowns upon homosexuality, He doesn't share that with me. Apparently it is on a need to know basis, and I don't need to know.

The bottom line is always that God loves everyone. He loves the drug addicted lice ridden, thieving homeless guy as much as I am loved. However, He asks that people who by choice come into the Church, live in the manner that He desires.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
We exist without needing to identify ourselves. That's like saying people with blue eyes didn't exist because there were (hypothetical) no person who identified with blue eyes back then.

People were gay, straight, tall, short, black, white, etc back then and today. There is no cut off point between BC and now. It's one continuous history and present day. Language is not near the point.
Language isn’t the issue. But self-understanding and self-identity are. Why do so many religious people think that their identity must be dictated by some exterior entity? That’s just not emotionally healthy.