• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to the Bible

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think anyone today has any real idea of how things were experienced and thought about 2700 years ago. I think we THINK we know, but in reality the cultural differences are so great that it's impossible. And in the end we're mostly just projecting, the way we project our own thoughts and feelings onto our pets.

That's basically what the question is, thinking and projecting instead of asking about what's real and fact or not. Everything else is irrelevant.

QuestioningMind

There is. It's in all abrahamic text: bible, quran, bahai scriptures, Torah, so have you

BC Homosexuality is a behavior.
21st century it's an orientation.

In other words, the "interpretation" definition (whatever) is different then as it was now. The question is referring to homosexuality being a behavior as per the text not an orientation as it is today.

If homosexuality and heterosexuality are nothing but behaviors then you can be homosexual today if you have sex with a member of the same sex today and you'd be heterosexual tomorrow if you have sex with a member of the opposite sex tomorrow.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The BC standards weren't based on orientation. So, the question isn't about sexual orientation but one's behavior.

I don't know if many religious know the difference. So, I was wondering, if going by BC terms (behavior) not 21st century terms (orientation), can a homosexual become heterosexual and heterosexual be homosexual.

It doesn't make sense in the 21st century, but this is according to the bible.
By “BC standards” there was no such thing as “gay” or “straight.” Those are concepts that the BC folks didn’t have. So the answer is “no,” because there were no “gay” or “straight” people back then.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If homosexuality and heterosexuality are nothing but behaviors then you can be homosexual today if you have sex with a member of the same sex today and you'd be heterosexual tomorrow if you have sex with a member of the opposite sex tomorrow.

Which would mean homosexuals can be heterosexuals and vis versa.

I wonder how believers see this in respects that straight people can turn gay and gay people straight according to biblical definitions.

And thanks for understanding the question.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
By “BC standards” there was no such thing as “gay” or “straight.” Those are concepts that the BC folks didn’t have. So the answer is “no,” because there were no “gay” or “straight” people back then.

You're stuck on the words.

They were gay people then as well as straight. So, the words are irrelevant.

Etritonakin

Can a straight person be homosexual and a gay person be heterosexual?

Does it make a difference?

BC definition not 21st century
The commandment concerning adultery has a spiritual basis that is unchangeable -but -unlike others -is also based on the originally-intended state of two distinct human genders.
Two distinct genders are dependent upon an overall system which can be adversely affected.

When a person is not distinctly male or female OUTWARDLY and PHYSICALLY -it is apparent.
Any gender distinctions which are otherwise would not be apparent.

From a human perspective, I think... "How would you advise a hermaphrodite to be -or be with -a husband or wife? -and can this apply to less apparent things"

From a spiritual perspective, I think... "We will eventually have no gender -will neither marry or be given in marriage (don't worry -there are things better than sex) -what is the best way to keep the commandments?"

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is not a binary issue, studies show that only a small percentage of people are completely straight ot completely gay, the vast majority of us lie somewhere in between the two extremes.

One of the first studies was performed by Dr Alfred Kinsey, more recent and more detailed studies show similar results.

1280px-Kinsey_Scale.svg.png

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If you can decide to be heterosexual or homosexual (or single), then a straight person can be homosexual and a gay person heterosexual since these are decisions one can choose?
I don't think so.

An honest person can lie but that doesn't make him a liar.

A straight person can do a homosexual act but that doesn't make him a homosexual.

A liar can be honest every once in a while... but he is still a liar.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
There is no "BC definition". There is only a 21st century interpretation of an ancient text; an interpretation based on modern history and experience.

Bullcrap.

21st century standards shouldn't be applied to the Bible, any more than 18th century ideas of slave ownership should get tacked on. The Bible tells how slavery should be conducted, if it is to be conducted. But one of the first things Christians do is ask for the freedom of a new convert.

So let's talk about the Bible. The so-called modern age, behind its trappings of modernity, is a great deal like Roman culture (prior to its fall) or secular culture prior to Noah and Abraham. "Forget the law," they say, " it's obsolete. " Except you can see the signs on the wall. Modernity is the offspring of the Jewish and Christian world. The Jews lived in a way that was unheard of to people all around them. "You mean, you DON'T sacrifice your only child to Moloch for a good harvest? You don't treat your wife like just another one, but actually believe in real marriage ?" And the Christian ppl lived in a eay that was unheard of, even to the Jews. Jews and Christians together did away with slavery, created ethical butchery that actually lowers cattle stress ( thank Temple Grandin for this), as well as creating clock towers for measuring time, classical architecture, and most of the fruits of modern life today are a result of Christian and Jewish value systems.

You are fine to go ahead and be an atheist or be "modern" whatever that is.
But don't demand that older cultures be judged by your time. They were ahead of their time, whereas you probably don't measure up even to the standard of your time.

"It's modern," so it must be good.

wellwisher

The bottom line is homosexual behavior, then and now, was/is more subject to compulsion, disease and suicide. This means it was/is not acceptable to nature and natural instinct, or else these would not be problems.

The difference is now is we have medicine, science and free marketing to hide or disguise this fact. In BC, they could not make the disease go away with a pill, so they had to be more strict for the sake of the collective. They could see the problems, and the wage of sin was death by nature.

As an analogy, for then and now, is say left wing culture decided it was natural to eat rocks, since chickens eat little stones to aid in the digestion of seeds; gizzard. Under natural conditions for humans, this will cause broken teeth and digestive issues. Everyone can see this, accept those who fool themselves following the fad.

One day science and technology figures out a way to quickly fix teeth and pump the stomach, so this behavior is now more sustainable. There are a number of people who will now be able to convince themselves this is natural, since now it appears to be sustainable. Man gaming nature or not was the difference, then and now.

To prove this, we could run a social experiment where we get rid of all the prosthesis used to disguise and sustain this behavior, so we can simulate the BC state of affairs. We then allow nature; green, to run its course and then make a judgment based on the results. We may need tough love to save people from themselves and the propaganda machine.

Transgender is not even possible without modern medicine gaming the natural system. This gaming of nature and natural allows many to fool themselves, while the medical industries turns a profit. The fad of many genders is just a modern marketing tool, that promotes the sale of new merchandise so many can outwardly pretend.

I

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think so.

An honest person can lie but that doesn't make him a liar.

A straight person can do a homosexual act but that doesn't make him a homosexual.

A liar can be honest every once in a while... but he is still a liar.

Thanks. Why do you think some people attack homosexuals with homosexulity. If that be the case, hetero- and homo- would be in the same category.

Its weird. Some of us are called homoexual and since homosexuality is a sin, they connect us not knowing that what "they" call us doesn't determine our behavior.

It's like someone calling you a lier, lying is a sin, they call you sinner even all have the ability to lie

Thanks for understanding the question.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No dance, the truth. If you want me to say homosexuality is wrong for a Jew, or Christian according to the Bible, consider it said.
So are tattoos, wearing mixed fabrics, eating pork or shrimp, rotating crops, and talking to menstruating women.
Know what isn't wrong according to the bible? Slavery, forced marriage, and beating wives/slaves. The bible even includes instructions on how to sell your own daughter off. Oh, and the bible also requires victims of rape to marry their attacker.
So personally, as a man of conscience, the bible has no use to me beyond toilet paper.