• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to the Bible

Skwim

Veteran Member
According to the Bible, people CAN be whatever they choose.
Assuming you, as a Christian, believe what the Bible says, that "people CAN be whatever they choose," do you remember choosing your present height? Do you remember choosing your present hair color? Do you remember choosing your present sexual orientation? Frankly, I don't remember choosing any of them. I just happen to have ended up 5'10" tall, with brown hair, and attracted to females. :shrug:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is no "BC definition". There is only a 21st century interpretation of an ancient text; an interpretation based on modern history and experience.

There is. It's in all abrahamic text: bible, quran, bahai scriptures, Torah, so have you

BC Homosexuality is a behavior.
21st century it's an orientation.

In other words, the "interpretation" definition (whatever) is different then as it was now. The question is referring to homosexuality being a behavior as per the text not an orientation as it is today.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know if any BC people knew enough about sexual orientation to make the firm differentiation we do today, much less have names for them, so I'm only speaking of today's standards.

The BC standards weren't based on orientation. So, the question isn't about sexual orientation but one's behavior.

I don't know if many religious know the difference. So, I was wondering, if going by BC terms (behavior) not 21st century terms (orientation), can a homosexual become heterosexual and heterosexual be homosexual.

It doesn't make sense in the 21st century, but this is according to the bible.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The BC standards weren't based on orientation. So, the question isn't about sexual orientation but one's behavior.
What BC standards are you talking about?

I don't know if many religious know the difference. So, I was wondering, if going by BC terms (behavior) not 21st century terms (orientation), can a homosexual become heterosexual and heterosexual be homosexual.

It doesn't make sense in the 21st century, but this is according to the bible.
Whatever the case, we know that in BC times sexual orientation, regardless as to how it may have been perceived or categorized, was no different than it is today. People were heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, homosexual curious, heterosexual curious, bicurious, questioning, and even asexual---Jesus often being characterize as asexual.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Can a straight person be homosexual and a gay person be heterosexual?

Does it make a difference?

BC definition not 21st century

I think it is wrong on all accounts.

You have a person is just a person who decides to be single, heterosexual or homosexual. IMHO. Just as, scientifically, XX is biologically a female and XY is biologically male but they can act howsoever they desire.

BC - He made them male and female and then they became one.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Whatever the case, we know that in BC times sexual orientation, regardless as to how it may have been perceived or categorized, was no different than it is today. People were heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, homosexual curious, heterosexual curious, bicurious, questioning, and even asexual---Jesus often being characterize as asexual.

Okay. Based on how it was categorized as a behavior back then rather than how it is categorized today as an orientation, can a heterosexual turn homosexual and can a homosexual turn heterosexual.

Religious can probably answer this question better since they already believe homosexuality is a behavior. People who aren't religious do not come from that foundational understanding, so to think in hypothetical is a bit challenging, I guess.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think it is wrong on all accounts.

You have a person is just a person who decides to be single, heterosexual or homosexual. IMHO. Just as, scientifically, XX is biologically a female and XY is biologically male but they can act howsoever they desire.

BC - He made them male and female and then they became one.

If you can decide to be heterosexual or homosexual (or single), then a straight person can be homosexual and a gay person heterosexual since these are decisions one can choose?

PureX

Veteran Member
There is. It's in all abrahamic text: bible, quran, bahai scriptures, Torah, so have you

BC Homosexuality is a behavior.
21st century it's an orientation.

In other words, the "interpretation" definition (whatever) is different then as it was now. The question is referring to homosexuality being a behavior as per the text not an orientation as it is today.
I don't think anyone today has any real idea of how things were experienced and thought about 2700 years ago. I think we THINK we know, but in reality the cultural differences are so great that it's impossible. And in the end we're mostly just projecting, the way we project our own thoughts and feelings onto our pets.