• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

according to the bible what is mans purpose?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Ecclesiastes, 12:13-14

74x12

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Ecclesiastes, 12:13-14
That's duty but not purpose.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
To the OP's question and imo, to love God and to love all of God's creation, and that even includes ourselves.

David1967

Premium Member

Old or New Testament?
Old Testament = Lots of genocide and making hundreds of laws that give those in religious control a reason to kill folks.
New Testament = Not so much of that.

I know....Now I'm gonna get it.

74x12

What's your answer?
God rested on the 7th day of creation from all His work. Everything was finished. The 7th day is yet to come for us. God is still working. When God rests it will be in His finished house; God is not like us and doesn't get tired. But His love needs to love so He can rest. So He made something to give Him rest. God needed something to love. This object of His love is called the new Jerusalem. That is the Jerusalem that God Himself builds.

"The king's daughter is all glorious within: her clothing is of wrought gold."

The ultimate purpose of mankind is to be a fit habitation for God. A place of His rest. This is symbolized in marriage between a man and woman. The new Jerusalem being His bride. This is why Jesus died; ultimately it is the primary witness of God's extreme love for His bride.

The name Jerusalem itself being significant because it means foundation of peace. The new Jerusalem is basically the purpose of all this. The finished product of creation. So in Zion God lays His foundation and the end of it is peace and rest forever.

Genesis 2:2
John 5:17
Zephaniah 3:17
Psalm 132:4-5
Psalm 132:13-14
Isaiah 65:17-18
Isaiah 62:7

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
To become one with all in Christ (Ephesians 1:10) and be absorbed into the Fathers Being (1 Corinthians 15:28).

My views, however, are very unorthodox when it comes to the bible.

Ellen Brown

What Rival said. In addition, Micah 6:8 says about the same thing. For non Jewish, the question is: what are his commandments? Simply put, start with the 10 Commandments. I think He would be generally pleased with that for non Jews. I don't understand the six hundred and some rules, but I'm not special.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Actually our purpose here is to be caretakers of all that God created on this planet. In order for us to be fit custodians, we had to have the same moral attributes that the Creator himself has. This is why we were made in his image. Free will was also part of the package, so that good decisions could be made in any given situation.

The mandate in the beginning was....Genesis 1:26-31
"Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every creeping animal that is moving on the earth.” 27 And God went on to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. 28 Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”

29 Then God said: “Here I have given to you every seed-bearing plant that is on the entire earth and every tree with seed-bearing fruit. Let them serve as food for you. 30 And to every wild animal of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving on the earth in which there is life, I have given all green vegetation for food.” And it was so.
31 After that God saw everything he had made, and look! it was very good."

Filling the Earth, spreading the beauty of the Garden of Eden all over the globe with the same creative flair that God has....having the animals subject to them, and all creatures being provided with delicious and nutritious food to keep them in optimum health. Utopia!

It would have been an awesome outcome if all had gone to plan, but free will was tested and humans failed the test. There was only one way to retain free will and solve the problem of it being abused....allow all humans and angels to exercise it any way they chose, so that the benefits of being obedient to our rightful Sovereign would become very apparent and form part of the laws that would govern us all in the future.

All God ever asked of us was our obedience.....we couldn't even give him that when the going was good.....how much more difficult it is now when the going is tough? :(

Will we pass the test? We should make it our business to do so, otherwise we will lose the privilege of living on an Earth, finally and rightfully ruled by its Maker. There will be no place for disobedience.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
What Rival said. In addition, Micah 6:8 says about the same thing. For non Jewish, the question is: what are his commandments? Simply put, start with the 10 Commandments. I think He would be generally pleased with that for non Jews. I don't understand the six hundred and some rules, but I'm not special.
The Noachide Code.