• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to the bible do women have souls?

sense12

THIS POST IS NOT TO BASH WOMEN AND I AM NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH WHAT WAS STATED IN THE LECTURE OR THIS POST I WOULD JUST LIKE TO FIND OUT IF WHAT IS STATED IS TRUE AS I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS FROM ANYONE ELSE.

I was listening to a podcast on youtube and a lecturer claimed that according to the bible women do not have souls only men do. His reason for saying this is that he said in the Genesis chapter 2 verse 7 it says And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul.

He said that women are physical because Adam states in Genesis chapter 2 verse 23 Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. He states that man is in the image and likeness of God and women are in the image and likeness of man.In the next verse it says Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

He claims this means that a woman gets her spirit and soul from her man when they are joined together.He claims that nature has set it up that a woman will end up miserable when they are alone and it is the devil's agenda to use women as a tool to take down men because they have this link with God(feminism, independent women, making men do women's jobs etc). He also claims that having a soul that gives man a divine spark and a direct connection to God thats why most of the prophets were male in the bible and this why when God had a message for the people he would mainly use men. Although he did mention Esther was used to give non Israelites a message but it was not a divine one because in the book of Esther God is not mentioned). He did state that a woman can also get this divine spark through her man.

Throughout the lecture a lady asked him if Eve comes from Adam how comes she does not have a soul.He said that women are from the dust of the ground just like Adam but he mentioned Genesis 2:7 again And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul.

If anyone can expand further on how this topic or how could affect the dynamics of relationships, behaviours, social issues today it would be interesting. Thanks

danieldemol

Premium Member
THIS POST IS NOT TO BASH WOMEN AND I AM NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH WHAT WAS STATED IN THE LECTURE OR THIS POST I WOULD JUST LIKE TO FIND OUT IF WHAT IS STATED IS TRUE AS I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS FROM ANYONE ELSE.

I was listening to a podcast on youtube and a lecturer claimed that according to the bible women do not have souls only men do. His reason for saying this is that he said in the Genesis chapter 2 verse 7 it says And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul.

He said that women are physical because Adam states in Genesis chapter 2 verse 23 Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. He states that man is in the image and likeness of God and women are in the image and likeness of man.In the next verse it says Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

He claims this means that a woman gets her spirit and soul from her man when they are joined together.He claims that nature has set it up that a woman will end up miserable when they are alone and it is the devil's agenda to use women as a tool to take down men because they have this link with God(feminism, independent women, making men do women's jobs etc). He also claims that having a soul that gives man a divine spark and a direct connection to God thats why most of the prophets were male in the bible and this why when God had a message for the people he would mainly use men. Although he did mention Esther was used to give non Israelites a message but it was not a divine one because in the book of Esther God is not mentioned). He did state that a woman can also get this divine spark through her man.

Throughout the lecture a lady asked him if Eve comes from Adam how comes she does not have a soul.He said that women are from the dust of the ground just like Adam but he mentioned Genesis 2:7 again And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul.

If anyone can expand further on how this topic or how could affect the dynamics of relationships, behaviours, social issues today it would be interesting. Thanks

Personally I don’t think the conjecture of the minister is justified from the text, but as a liberal I have to ask the question - suppose hypothetically the OT didn’t consider women to have souls like men - should we agree with it? Or is the truth more important than an ancient text?

Ellen Brown

Please state your Cultural, Educational and Theological background and I will decide if I wish to be involved in this.

sense12

Please state your Cultural, Educational and Theological background and I will decide if I wish to be involved in this.
I'm just a free thinker that questions things really.I come from a Christian background in terms of upbringing but i would describe myself as spiritual.i dont really have a culture outside of my Christian upbringing

Ellen Brown

I'm just a free thinker that questions things really.I come from a Christian background in terms of upbringing but i would describe myself as spiritual.i dont really have a culture outside of my Christian upbringing

I am American of Okie descent, but after 7+ years exposure to Middle Eastern culture am that also.

Ellen Brown

Women have souls, else Jesus would not have treated women as well as men. There is the curse of Gen 3:16 playing out however. So, I think that a man that mistreats a woman is in for a beat down later.

Ellen Brown

This issue likely came from misinterpretation of: Synod of Mâcon - Wikipedia

Ellen Brown

Personally I don’t think the conjecture of the minister is justified from the text, but as a liberal I have to ask the question - suppose hypothetically the OT didn’t consider women to have souls like men - should we agree with it? Or is the truth more important than an ancient text?

Muslims say that there are more Women in Hell than Men. I do not know if that is in the Quran.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Muslims say that there are more Women in Hell than Men. I do not know if that is in the Quran.

Muslims don't say this, this is from the following Hadith:

Praise be to Allah.

It was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) that women will form the majority of the people of Hell. It was narrated from ‘Imran ibn Husayn that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “I looked into Paradise and I saw that the majority of its people were the poor. And I looked into Hell and I saw that the majority of its people are women.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhari, 3241; Muslim, 2737)

Muhammad the prophet was then asked about his vision concerning hell and it was said in teh following:

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allah ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “I was shown Hell and I have never seen anything more terrifying than it. And I saw that the majority of its people are women.” They said, “Why, O Messenger of Allah?” He said, “Because of their ingratitude (kufr).” It was said, “Are they ungrateful to Allah?” He said, “They are ungrateful to their companions (husbands) and ungrateful for good treatment. If you are kind to one of them for a lifetime then she sees one (undesirable) thing in you, she will say, ‘I have never had anything good from you.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhari, 1052).

As a running joke I can definitely identify with what is said in the red.

I would assume the idea that there are more women in hell than men would be because of the society that Muhammad lived in considering the mentality of the pagan women in that society.

Ellen Brown

Is this the man you were listening to on YouTube? I have heard Preachers like this before. He would do well to get the plank out of his own eye.

I thought people of this ilk had died out with inside toilets.

Anthem

Oh no wait, the question was does the bible say that.

I have never read the entire bible, but here is a wild guess: no.

It's just a sloppy interpretation. The guy probably is bored reading the bible and wants some female attention.

Ellen Brown

Likely a product of Landover Baptist Church, a parody site.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
23 sep 2018 stvdv

I believe there is only 1 man, 1 soul, 1 atma, 1 consciousness, 1 God and God is omnipresent. All the others are women (human men included) as seen from consciousness

So I interpret gen. 2:7 a little different

God (man), being "soul", became a "living soul". Before it was "just soul"

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

s

That is really stretching a thought with no basis.

sense12

Is this the man you were listening to on YouTube? I have heard Preachers like this before. He would do well to get the plank out of his own eye.

I thought people of this ilk had died out with inside toilets.
It isn't this video.is he using the same verses from the bible?I will watch it

Earthling

David Henson
It's nonsense to think that women have no soul. The soul, according to the Bible, is the life of any breathing creature. Human or animal. If it breaths and has blood it's a soul. It doesn't "have" a soul, it is a living soul.