• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to Pascal's wager, atheism is the safest choice

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The difference between Pascal's Wager and Hedge Betting.

Hedge Betting is when a professional gambler places a bet they cover all their basis leaving ñothing to chance.
Like betting your favorite team in a football game, but you also bet on the opposing team, Therefore no matter if your team don't win, You still win even if the opposing team wins.Your still come out a winner.

As for Pascal's Wager, Your putting everything on that it is in one's own best interest to believe as if God exist, Since the possibility of eternal punishment in hell out weighs any advantage of believing otherwise.

Therefore neither one can be taken as meaning the same thing, unto which they don't.

As for me like a professional gambler that places their hedge bet, that they will cover all their basis leaving ñothing to chance.
So in like manner, I to cover all my basis leaving ñothing to chance.

Let's for say, that when we die and that we find there is no God, we didn't lose nothing.

Now let's for say,that when we die and that we find God is there, I win and you lose.
All because you didn't cover all your basis Leaving ñothing to chance.

You see I Hedge Bet leaving ñothing to chance.
But you place everything on one base, that God doesn't exist and you lost.When you should have Hedge Bet, covering all your basis,unto which you didn't do.

That so now, You denyed God all your life, Now you gave God every right in fairness to deny you.

Pascal narrowed the choices to either Christianity or Atheism, discounting other possible choices. Therefore the wager is artificially fixed. and does not leave nothing to chance.

If the devout Christian dies to find the God is not the God he or she believed in and he rejected the teaching of the real God he or she may loose.

For example: If the Hebrew monotheistic God is the one true God, and he devoted his life to a heretical concept of God he or she looses.

Faithofchristian

Pascal narrowed the choices to either Christianity or Atheism, discounting other possible choices. Therefore the wager is artificially fixed. and does not leave nothing to chance.

If the devout Christian dies to find the God is not the God he or she believed in and he rejected the teaching of the real God he or she may loose.

For example: If the Hebrew monotheistic God is the one true God, and he devoted his life to a heretical concept of God he or she looses.

If I may say, Your absolutely right about what you said. Many Christians believe in a Rapture, but yet have no clue, who it is that comes first. When Christians get there and find who they have been waiting for, is not who they thought he is, he or she loose.

Sanzbir

Pascal's Wager is a stupid argument, but so is this OP. Atheism would not be the answer.

No, if you wanted to take Pascal's Wager to an absurd conclusion you'd want to essentially pray to "a god", but keep everything about your worship so vague and nondescript that any existing deity could conceivably mistake your worship for worship of it. Surely that is the safest wager, if you want to use Pascal's logic.

Maybe something like the "strict agnostic household" portrayed in South Park. :p

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Pascal's wager in its original form presents a false dichotomy, assuming either the Christian god exists, or it doesn't. However, Pascal's wager in an accurate format would allow the possibility of the existence of all of the thousands of gods that humans have believed in.

Quite so, and they would vary a lot.

Since most religions regard the worship of other gods as the most heinous crime (even more heinous than non belief),

Uh, I very much doubt that to be at all accurate.

That would perhaps be typical of the Abrahamics, and therefore of most people who care about theology, but certainly not of most religions.

it logically follows that one should deny the existence of all of them, for fear of one (or more) of them lashing out and punishing me more severely for worshiping and believing in another one. Thoughts?

Belief is quite over-rated. Even for most religious practice it is rarely an actual need.