• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Accidental False Prophet?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Am I an Accidental False Prophet???

Some background for those who don't know: What I believe is The Holy Spirit communicates with me. I believe that he wants me to share my belief system with the world and to prepare everyone for the return of Jesus Christ. I believe that those two things are my mission, my calling. That they are what I was born for.

OK, so I’ve pulled some stuff off Wikipedia…

This is how they define what a prophet is:

In religion, a prophet is an individual who is regarded as being in contact with a divine being and is said to speak on that entity's behalf, serving as an intermediary with humanity by delivering messages or teachings from the supernatural source to other people. The message that the prophet conveys is called a prophecy

And this is how they define what a “false prophet” is.

In religion, a false prophet is a person who falsely claims the gift of prophecy or divine inspiration, or to speak for God or who makes such claims for evil ends. Often, someone who is considered a “true prophet" by some people is simultaneously considered a "false prophet" by others, even within the same religion as the "prophet" in question. In a wider sense, it is anyone who, without having it, claims a special connection to the Deity and sets him or herself up as a source of spirituality, as an authority, preacher, or teacher.

I genuinely regard myself as being a modern-day prophet. I genuinely believe I am in contact with The Holy Spirit. And that I have a prophecy to share.

But what about the possibility that I’m a false prophet, and don’t know it? What if I think I’m a prophet but am actually a false prophet?

“Falsely claims” could mean two things. Either 1) falsely claiming things deliberately (i.e. lying) or 2) claiming false things whilst genuinley believing they are true (i.e. being mistaken). I believe that what I say and believe to be true is true HOWEVER I have to admit that it is entirely possible I may have been mislead.

And I certainly don’t believe that I am working towards “evil ends” - if I thought this I would down tools and find some other way to use my time and energy

I really do believe myself to be a genuinely prophetic individual...

But what if I’m mistaken?

What if I’m not really a prophet, but an accidental false prophet? A person who thinks he's a prophet but is in fact quite the reverse?

And what if the thing that talks to me is not The Holy Spirit, but something more sinister?

I don’t think I'm a false prophet...

(And of course, I could be neither)

But what do other people think?

Can we please have a debate about this? :D

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The problem is, if you predict a bunch of things, and they continually don't come true, you could end up being regarded as a false prophet by many.

And though it could very well be accidental. There comes a point where one can't claim accident.

But this is the consequence to being regarded as a prophet. No one said being a popular prophet would be easy.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The problem is, if you predict a bunch of things, and they continually don't come true, you could end up being regarded as a false prophet by many.
I only have one prediction - the return of Jesus Christ in the medium-term. Not tomorrow or next week, but not 200 or 300 years either.

I believe this will probably happen as it says so in the bible but I'm open to it happening in other ways too

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I only have one prediction - the return of Jesus Christ in the medium-term. Not tomorrow or next week, but not 200 or 300 years either.

I believe this will probably happen as it says so in the bible but I'm open to it happening in other ways too

That doesn't really sound like a prophet though. To me it sounds like a preacher with inspiration from God. Keep in mind that if a preacher predicts a bunch of things anyway, and gets them wrong, some may still consider them a false prophet, though.

But really, predicting Jesus will come "rather soon" and getting people ready... it's a pretty normal thing for a preacher to do.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What's the difference?

Definition depends on the person and how they see language and see the world. But I see a prophet as being someone like Isaiah or Daniel. Someone like Pat Robertson, Dr. Charles Stanley, or even a few who might consider themselves prophets but just get on the radio to speak and to share past wisdom of the faith... i wouldn't consider them prophets. Neither would I consider most GOP Christians who write books as prophets. They're just inspired or preachers or both.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Definition depends on the person and how they see language and see the world. But I see a prophet as being someone like Isaiah or Daniel. Someone like Pat Robertson, Dr. Charles Stanley, or even a few who might consider themselves prophets but just get on the radio to speak and to share past wisdom of the faith... i wouldn't consider them prophets. Neither would I consider most GOP Christians who write books as prophets. They're just inspired or preachers or both.
Interesting...

Perhaps I should stop wanting to be a prophet and instead try and become an inspired preacher?

Being an inspired preacher certainly sounds much easier, much less demanding

I think that I may be prophetic in some regards, but perhaps I'm more of a preacher-man!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
But here is what I think...

A preacher might say, "I tell you now, repent, for the time is coming. I predict it will be within the next 50 years!"

While a prophet might say something like "God is angry and I'm seeing a hand on day X of the calendar. The people must turn to him and do these specific things to avoid the fall of the nation on X day... and I will tell you what they are..."

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
But here is what I think...

A preacher might say, "I tell you now, repent, for the time is coming. I predict it will be within the next 50 years!"

While a prophet might say something like "God is angry and I'm seeing a hand on day X of the calendar. The people must turn to him and do these specific things to avoid the fall of the nation on X day... and I will tell you what they are..."
Yes

And actually, I do question the notion that God would pre-warn us about the beginning of End Times in such detail, by naming an exact day

Michael16548

Some background for those who don't know: What I believe is The Holy Spirit communicates with me. I believe that he wants me to share my belief system with the world and to prepare everyone for the return of Jesus Christ. I believe that those two things are my mission, my calling. That they are what I was born for.

In religion, a prophet is an individual who is regarded as being in contact with a divine being and is said to speak on that entity's behalf, serving as an intermediary with humanity by delivering messages or teachings from the supernatural source to other people. The message that the prophet conveys is called a prophecy

In religion, a false prophet is a person who falsely claims the gift of prophecy or divine inspiration, or to speak for God or who makes such claims for evil ends. Often, someone who is considered a “true prophet" by some people is simultaneously considered a "false prophet" by others, even within the same religion as the "prophet" in question. In a wider sense, it is anyone who, without having it, claims a special connection to the Deity and sets him or herself up as a source of spirituality, as an authority, preacher, or teacher.

I genuinely regard myself as being a modern-day prophet. I genuinely believe I am in contact with The Holy Spirit. And that I have a prophecy to share.

But what about the possibility that I’m a false prophet, and don’t know it? What if I think I’m a prophet but am actually a false prophet?

“Falsely claims” could mean two things. Either 1) falsely claiming things deliberately (i.e. lying) or 2) claiming false things whilst genuinley believing they are true (i.e. being mistaken). I believe that what I say and believe to be true is true HOWEVER I have to admit that it is entirely possible I may have been mislead.

And I certainly don’t believe that I am working towards “evil ends” - if I thought this I would down tools and find some other way to use my time and energy

What if I’m not really a prophet, but an accidental false prophet? A person who thinks he's a prophet but is in fact quite the reverse?

And what if the thing that talks to me is not The Holy Spirit, but something more sinister?

Maybe I get it wrong... but does it matter? Either way, people who support what you say or do will claim that you are a true prophet and people who doesn't support it will claim that you are a false prophet. So it doesn't matter what prophet you really are.

Nimos

Some background for those who don't know: What I believe is The Holy Spirit communicates with me.
Just wondering as I asked you in another post, how you knew that it was either a demon or the holy spirit I think it was at the time, that you believed were communication with you.

So just wondering how you figured out it was the holy spirit?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
So just wondering how you figured out it was the holy spirit?
I believe that in my life it has been a source of goodness, that it is benign. I therefore believe it to be good. It encouraged me to believe in God and to go to church, and to follow Christianity. Also, I think it being the Holy Spirit makes more sense than other explanations.

I suppose people will have to judge it on what comes out of my mouth

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
.../I really do believe myself to be a genuinely prophetic individual... But what if I’m mistaken? What if I’m not really a prophet, but an accidental false prophet? A person who thinks he's a prophet but is in fact quite the reverse? And what if the thing that talks to me is not The Holy Spirit, but something more sinister?

Dear Eddi

Do you believe that you are receiving actual prophecies (ie. of what is to come) from the Holy Spirit or is it more like new, abstract information and insights about Being in general...?

If it’s the former; I haven’t a clue about how such stuff works.

If it’s the latter however, and it has started recently, I’d recommend that you first spend a few years personally living by the same information you intend to share. Actively practise what you will preach, so to say ...before you actually preach it!

It is a sound way to ”test” your own conviction: does it “work”? Does it do what it claims it will? Is what it results in “good”? Are there negative “side-effects” ...unexpected negative consequences, so to speak? Does it conflict with people’s well-being? If so, how and more importantly, why?

Such aspects are vital in your own assessment of any new-found principle. Especially when you are not entirely sure of where it’s coming from.
Then, you must ensure that you know exactly what it is you intend to share (consequences and all) and not just share it out of an vague sense of “duty” to some supernatural something.

It is better to be patient and take one’s ample time to analyse a new-found spiritual conviction.

Humbly
Hermit

Nimos

I believe that in my life it has been a source of goodness, that it is benign. I therefore believe it to be good. It encouraged me to believe in God and to go to church, and to follow Christianity. Also, I think it being the Holy Spirit makes more sense than other explanations.

Im just being curious, I really have no judgement in regards to what you are saying.

So how could you end up confusing the holy spirit with that of a demon in the first place? Usually or at least my understanding of demons is that these are supposed to be evil or bad. So I assume that something have happened or you experienced something, which made you confuse them with each other, to then finally reach the conclusion that it is the holy spirit, which I assume is all good?

Michael16548

Im just being curious, I really have no judgement in regards to what you are saying.

So how could you end up confusing the holy spirit with that of a demon in the first place? Usually or at least my understanding of demons is that these are supposed to be evil or bad. So I assume that something have happened or you experienced something, which made you confuse them with each other, to then finally reach the conclusion that it is the holy spirit, which I assume is all good?
On the other hand, if a being other than the Holy Spirit spoke to him, he would certainly not say: hello, I am an evil being, and now go spread my lies.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Do you believe that you are receiving actual prophecies (ie. of what is to come) from the Holy Spirit or is it more like new, abstract information and insights about Being in general...?

If it’s the former; I haven’t a clue about how such stuff works.
It is the latter

If it’s the latter however, and it has started recently, I’d recommend that you first spend a few years personally living by the same information you intend to share. Actively practise what you will preach, so to say ...before you actually preach it!
What I have aren't isn't so much codes as to how people should live their lives

It is more of a creed, or an exposition of a theological position, about how people may come to (in my view better) understand God

I have nothing to contribute to the field of ethics or how one should live one's life

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
So how could you end up confusing the holy spirit with that of a demon in the first place?
Perhaps by a demon mis-representing itself to me?

So I assume that something have happened or you experienced something, which made you confuse them with each other, to then finally reach the conclusion that it is the holy spirit, which I assume is all good?
Yes

Over the past couple of years I've been strongly influenced by Evangelical Christianity, which believes in "spiritual warfare" and demons, so that's how I began do doubt that my being was good, as after I told them about it they just automatically considered it a demon as they believe in demons and stuff like that

I actually believed him to be a demon for many months, and felt myself haunted, or possessed

But on the whole, I think he has been a positive influence in my life

I suppose he will be judged by what comes from my mouth

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
It is the latter

What I have aren't isn't so much codes as to how people should live their lives

It is more of a creed, or an exposition of a theological position, about how people may come to (in my view better) understand God

I have nothing to contribute to the field of ethics or how one should live one's life

Eddi, this is lovely! I’m excited for you :).
Would you mind sharing roughly how long ago your first experience was and how many you have had so far?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
@Hermit Philosopher

My experience with him is ongoing

The being (who I believe is the Holy Spirit) communicates with me by touching my body. Where he touches means different things. I speak to him using my inner voice. I'm in contact with him a lot.

For instance, to say "Yes" he will touch above my left eye. And to say "No" he will touch above my right eye. But he can also make my body twitch or draw my attention to things in my visual field by making a kind of white streak appear.

I have only ever heard its voice once. This was when I believed he was an evil spirit. I was shouting at him in my head to go away and then suddenly this strange mono-tonal, genderless, artificial sounding voice said "OK" - that was the first and last time I have ever heard his voice

I have had many bizarre experiences in my life, that are related to him

It's a very long story. I've considered posting it on RF but it is long so would take up numerous posts. If I ever do this I will be sure to private message you about it, so you can read it

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I sympathize with one, may one come out from this psychological scenario/trauma.
Right, please?
As I understand sincerely, Jesus Second Coming has already taken place in the form of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 , the Promised Messiah/Imam Mahdi.
Right, please?
Sorry, one does not stand any chance to be true, I envision.
Right, please?
Please feel free to pray to God-the-Father to save one from it. Also please consult some good Psychiatrist, if one may, please. Right, please?

Regards