• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absurdity of Noah's Ark Story

Skwim

Veteran Member
Are you implying god's Flood Story is absurd? That he would deliberately try to pass off a myth as truth, hoping that people like Ken Ham and Kent Hovind would be so stupid as to believe it and try to deceive god's followers? That god himself would be equally as stupid to do such a thing?

In any case:

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You could start here:
Unitarian Universalist Association
Unitarian Universalists have diverse and inclusive beliefs
Unitarian Universalism's Seven Principles

All religious humans are fundamentalists Christians. No, wait, all religious humans are fundamentalists theists. No, wait.
Give it up, we are as diverse as non-religious humans.
Deal with us as individuals and not the Other.
What does this have to do with the OP or the topic of the thread? No one said or even implied that all Christians have this crazy belief.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What does this have to do with the OP or the topic of the thread? No one said or even implied that all Christians have this crazy belief.

This thread is in science and religion. Not science and some specific version of understanding of a limited group of religions.
BTW it is not crazy. It is crazy to you. You have no evidence for it being crazy. Crazy is inter-subjective and cultural. Now science can study and label human behavior, but that is just a label.
Learn the limits of evidence. please.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
This thread is in science and religion. Not science and some specific version of understanding of a limited group of religions.

It concerns the Noah story. That in itself already severely narrows it down to less then 1% of all religions.
Stop complaining for the sake of complaining.

BTW it is not crazy

Yes it is.

It is crazy to you

Or anyone else with some knowledge on physics, biology, geology and boat building.

You have no evidence for it being crazy

Sure there is evidence: Physics, biology, geology and boat building.

Crazy is inter-subjective and cultural

I'm pretty sure it's okay in all cultures to call believing crazy things "crazy".

Now science can study and label human behavior, but that is just a label

It can also study the world and conclude it is 110% incompatible with certain bronze age claims about history.

Not sure what you are referring to, but I'm pretty sure it's okay to use physical evidence to disprove claims about the physical world.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
BTW it is not crazy. It is crazy to you. You have no evidence for it being crazy. Crazy is inter-subjective and cultural. Now science can study and label human behavior, but that is just a label.

Yes, you got one thing right. This is in the science and religion part I the forum. Everything else you claimed is wrong.

Try again.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I'm pretty sure it's okay in all cultures to call believing crazy things "crazy".

Different culture have different views of "crazy", so no. In some culture is possession of evil spirit and not crazy. So no, no all culture have the same notion of "crazy". In at least one other culture crazy people are holy.
Your narrow own culture is showing.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yeah, in crazy cultures.

Your compulsive argue-the-meaning-of-words-at-all-times disorder is showing. Again.

And your apparent inability to understand that you are a specif product of nature, nurture and culture and thus we have human diversity. To me some variants of western culture are delusional and that is not just the religious ones. But that is me and that is subjective.
No, you - you deal in objective facts, right? There are objectively as a part of objective reality crazy cultures, right? Or is it subjective and only in your mind?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And your apparent inability to understand that you are a specif product of nature, nurture and culture and thus we have human diversity. To me some variants of western culture are delusional and that is not just the religious ones. But that is me and that is subjective.
No, you - you deal in objective facts, right? There are objectively as a part of objective reality crazy cultures, right? Or is it subjective and only in your mind?
No, we understand that. People just tire of your bull**** rather quickly.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Learn how to debate and we can have a discussion. Otherwise you only get corrections.

I have learned to be precise. E.g. there is no positive evidence or proof of gods.
Now you give evidence for crazy beliefs or it is just subjective?

I know crazy beliefs are everyday talk, but I want evidence. I have learned that from, yes, guess who? As least some atheists in part. :D

We can't just talk about God without evidence. So we just can just talk about crazy beliefs without evidence! Or can we?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What taking into account the evidence available at the time is absurd about the Ark story?

The writers may have had an excuse for their ignorance. Modern man does not. It appears that you do not understand that the thread is about those that still claim that it is real.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have learned to be precise. E.g. there is no positive evidence or proof of gods.
Now you give evidence for crazy beliefs or it is just subjective?

I know crazy beliefs are everyday talk, but I want evidence. I have learned that from, yes, guess who? As least some atheists in part. :D

We can't just talk about God without evidence. So we just can just talk about crazy beliefs without evidence! Or can we?
Nope, you have not learned that.

No excuses. If you want evidence you should be able to tell me why there is none for the flood.