• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abstinence-only Sex Education

Trey of Diamonds

It's a tough sell to some kids. I agree. But my post was responding to the statement that "kids will do it anyways". They don't always do it anyways.

I can agree with that but your advice was phrased to include everyone and I think it will only work with people who believe as you do. Many of us have radically different views concerning what God wants from us, especially concerning sex.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I can agree with that but your advice was phrased to include everyone and I think it will only work with people who believe as you do. Many of us have radically different views concerning what God wants from us, especially concerning sex.

Ok, but my advise was: "To those parents who believe in the sanctity of sex and the importance of waiting until marriage, don't give up!"

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
MY 19 year old daughter, when she was a Jr. in High School, once told my wife how disgusted she was that "every boy" she meets, thinks she should give him oral sex. She was repelled at the thought and never had sex with anyone.

This is something that would concern me for your daughter as a grown woman in marrige though..Im glad she abstained...

But the terms "every boy" .."disgusted' and "repelled" are alarming to me..

She is demonizing "all boys"...and attaching extemely negative emotions to sexuality..

This is unhealthy..IMHO and could carry over for years and years..and she in fact could be "repelled" and "disgusted" by her husband if he enjoys lots of sex including oral..

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

rojse

RF Addict
You are so incredibly mistaken. I have raised or am raising 6 children and have taught them abstinence with much success. It is absolutely false that kids can't be taught abstience, believe in it, and follow it. The prerequisite is that the parents must have solid reasons for teaching it, reasons that transcend the potential for disease and pregnancy. It's much more effective when the reason is based in deeply held spiritual beliefs. The teachings need to be regular and consistent. The children need to be taught the joys of sex in marriage. They need to see sex as beautiful and something God wants them to wait for. There are kids who feel that way and who abstain. I realize that some kids will not abstain, even if they were taught by parents to abstain.

MY 19 year old daughter, when she was a Jr. in High School, once told my wife how disgusted she was that "every boy" she meets, thinks she should give him oral sex. She was repelled at the thought and never had sex with anyone. This meant fewer dates and boy friends, I suppose.

I'm not saying we've had 100% success in this regard as parents, but there is no doubt that our teachings and the teachings of our church have gone a long way to influence our kids to be sexually pure.

To those parents who believe in the sanctity of sex and the importance of waiting until marriage, don't give up! Our kids are strong enough to swim upstream against the social currents. Teach chastity to your children with the greatest conviction of your heart and soul!

I'm going to ask how you can be so certain that your children have all been chaste.

Kcnorwood

You are so incredibly mistaken. I have raised or am raising 6 children and have taught them abstinence with much success. It is absolutely false that kids can't be taught abstience, believe in it, and follow it. The prerequisite is that the parents must have solid reasons for teaching it, reasons that transcend the potential for disease and pregnancy. It's much more effective when the reason is based in deeply held spiritual beliefs. The teachings need to be regular and consistent. The children need to be taught the joys of sex in marriage. They need to see sex as beautiful and something God wants them to wait for. There are kids who feel that way and who abstain. I realize that some kids will not abstain, even if they were taught by parents to abstain.

MY 19 year old daughter, when she was a Jr. in High School, once told my wife how disgusted she was that "every boy" she meets, thinks she should give him oral sex. She was repelled at the thought and never had sex with anyone. This meant fewer dates and boy friends, I suppose.

I'm not saying we've had 100% success in this regard as parents, but there is no doubt that our teachings and the teachings of our church have gone a long way to influence our kids to be sexually pure.

To those parents who believe in the sanctity of sex and the importance of waiting until marriage, don't give up! Our kids are strong enough to swim upstream against the social currents. Teach chastity to your children with the greatest conviction of your heart and soul!

So as a parent your 100% sure that your daughteras NOT as sex of ANY kind? I'm not saying that it's not possible that she hasn't just that the odds are against it.

Trey of Diamonds

This is something that would concern me for your daughter as a grown woman in marrige though..Im glad she abstained...

But the terms "every boy" .."disgusted' and "repelled" are alarming to me..

She is demonizing "all boys"...and attaching extemely negative emotions to sexuality..

This is unhealthy..IMHO and could carry over for years and years..and she in fact could be "repelled" and "disgusted" by her husband if he enjoys lots of sex including oral..

Love

Dallas

You're over thinking it. Jr high girls think oral sex, and probably sex in general, is icky. Natural reaction.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
You're over thinking it. Jr high girls think oral sex, and probably sex in general, is icky. Natural reaction.

Um...."icky" was not the term used...And if it was I'de sitll be concerned..(that would be very immature for a Jr High girl)..

The terms were "disgusted" and "repelled"..and "every boy"..

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
I suppose. Also, Jr high used to be 7th and 8th grade, now I think its 8th and 9th. 7th graders are what 12 and 13? At that age I they should only just becoming curious as puberty is starting.

Actually, 10 year old oral sex is all the rave these days.

Kcnorwood

I was 14 at the time & the girl was 18 I scored with a High schooler! :D

There were seventh graders who
Pregnant when I was in school.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
O.K., now let's look at what the research says:

wiki said:
A comprehensive review of 115 program evaluations published in November 2007 by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy found that two-thirds of sex education programs focusing on both abstinence and contraception had a positive effect on teen sexual behavior. The same study found no strong evidence that abstinence-only programs delayed the initiation of sex, hastened the return to abstinence, or reduced the number of sexual partners.
Hmm. Interesting. Why would you promote a form of education that has no desired effect?

Watchmen

Premium Member
O.K., now let's look at what the research says:

Hmm. Interesting. Why would you promote a form of education that has no desired effect?

I'm against abstinence only education, but the results you quoted are hardly conclusive of anything. Look at the way it's worded. It speaks in extreme general terms in regards to the hybrid programs, but gets more specific when discussing abstinence-only programs. I want to see detailed results side by side - lets compare apples to apples.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I wonder what the AMA says?

AMA oppose federal funding of community-based abstinence-only sex education programs and instead support federal funding of comprehensive sex education programs that teach about contraceptive choices and safe sex while also stressing the importance of abstinence in preventing unwanted teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

How about the pediatricians?

the American Academy of Pediatrics, a group of 60,000 pediatricians, revised its guidelines on sex education, emphasizing that it is crucial to teach teens to use contraception, and saying that the abstinence-only programs touted by the Bush administration are unproven and risky..

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Let's look at some more research:

The study found that youth in the four evaluated programs were no more likely than youth not in the programs to have abstained from sex in the four to six years after they began participating in the study. Youth in both groups who reported having had sex also had similar numbers of sexual partners and had initiated sex at the same average age.
Mathematica Policy Research

A long-awaited national study has concluded that abstinence-only sex education, a cornerstone of the Bush administration's social agenda, does not keep teenagers from having sex. Neither does it increase or decrease the likelihood that if they do have sex, they will use a condom.
Washington Post

Well that's good news, at least it doesn't decrease condom use. They must learn about it somwhere else.

There is little evidence that abstinence-only programs are successful in encouraging teenagers from delaying sexuality activity until marriage, and consequently, avoiding pregnancy, or STD or HIV infection. Comprehensive sex education, which emphasizes the benefits of abstinence while also teaching about contraception and disease-prevention methods, has been proven to reduce rates of teen pregnancy and STD infection.
Naomi Starkman, Nicole Rajani. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. July 1, 2002, 16(7): 313-318.

The abstinence-only approach to sex education is not supported by the extensive body of scientific research on what works to protect young people from HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and unplanned pregnancy. An assessment of the peer-reviewed, published research reveals no evidence that abstinence only programs delay sexual initiation or reduce STIs or pregnancy. By contrast, credible research clearly demonstrates that some comprehensive sex education, or “abstinence-plus,” programs can achieve positive behavioral changes among young people and reduce STIs, and that these programs do not encourage young people to initiate sexual activity earlier or have more sexual partners.
Collins C
Alagiri P
Summers T
Morin SF
Title: Abstinence only vs. comprehensive sex education: What are the arguments? What is the evidence?
San Francisco, California, University of California, San Francisco, AIDS Research Institute, 2002 Mar. 29 p. (Policy Monograph Series)

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
O.K. oddly enough I'm going to side with Scott C. here. He's not telling anyone else what values to have, and he's not telling the schools what to teach. He's saying that from his personal experience, if you highly value abstinence before marriage (I do not in the least) that he has found it is possible to effectively pass this value on to your children. I think that he knows his kids and his parenting better than we do.

By the same token, I do not value abstinence, but highly value responsibily and love. My 19-year old is extremely sexually responsible, almost obsessively so, and would never have sex with someone she didn't love. But she's not abstinent. So again, I agree that parents can have a huge influence on their children's sexual values.