• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absolute Rights

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There are no absolute rights. All rights are human constructs and as such not real. We, as a society, grant them.
Having said that, there are rights, I think, we should grant without loopholes or exceptions. The right to life (for a person) should be high on that list.
I suspect they're not absolutes either.

Heyo

Veteran Member
“We hold these truths to be self evident” - a bold statement in itself, whatever follows.

Americans will presumably know what does follow; “that all men are created equal, and endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”

I am not a US citizen, nor do I have any aspirations ever to be one. But as a statement of principle on which to base a system of government, it’s hard to a imagine a more noble sentiment. Clearly, history tells us that human beings are far better at expressing noble sentiments than they are at living up to them.
Yep. Not even the Founding Fathers could (nor any majority of politicians later).
The above quotes are from the preamble of the Declaration Of Independence. They have never been codified into law. That's why US citizens don't have an unalienable right to life to this day.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What rights, if any, do you consider to be absolute? If so, why?

Absolute rights are those that can not, or should not, be limited under any circumstance.
Nothing in this world I can call mine ... I have no absolute rights

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep. Not even the Founding Fathers could (nor any majority of politicians later).
The above quotes are from the preamble of the Declaration Of Independence. They have never been codified into law. That's why US citizens don't have an unalienable right to life to this day.

It's true that the Declaration is not codified into the law, the right is covered in the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution.

Section 1
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Heyo

Veteran Member
nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
When your right to life can be taken away by a judge and jury it isn't unalienable.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When your right to life can be taken away by a judge and jury it isn't unalienable.

There's also an amendment forbidding cruel and unusual punishment, and some have argued that the death penalty should be prohibited based on that.

But ultimately, there may not be any rights which are unalienable or absolute. At best, "rights" are merely guarantees from the government about what they will or will not do to its citizens. Our system of checks and balances exists (theoretically) to prevent or minimize abuses of power. That's about the best it gets, and even then, it seems to be inconsistent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What rights, if any, do you consider to be absolute? If so, why?

Absolute rights are those that can not, or should not, be limited under any circumstance.
I say no the existence of absolute rights.
Rights are things that we agree to be rights.